How about those Capitals?

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
|||

How about those Capitals?

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 am

Hey man they are on a tear. Ovechkin is a beast on steroids! No he is not on roids! I just mean he is very good. Wow. I dont watch hockey much but Ovechkin is very very impressive. Set the all time single season scoring record for goals.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:04 am

Wayne Gretzky would be interested to know what happened to his 92 goal season.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:13 am

He just forgot "by a left winger." Now I will say if he and Backstrom stick together for a decade or so, that Ovie will have a shot at that record.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am

JansenFan wrote:He just forgot "by a left winger." Now I will say if he and Backstrom stick together for a decade or so, that Ovie will have a shot at that record.

Agreed. If the Caps keep Ovechkin surrounded by talent, in ten or fifteen years we could all be saying "Wayne Who?"

That was one of the biggest mistakes the Caps made with Peter Bondra. Bondra could have had more 50+ goal seasons if teams hadn't been able to double and triple him, knowing the Caps had no other goal scoring threats.

This team has Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin. All will be playing hockey for a long time. And I have full faith in Ted Leonsis that he will keep them all wearing Capitals uniforms for the long haul.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:35 am

That was one of the biggest mistakes the Caps made with Peter Bondra. Bondra could have had more 50+ goal seasons if teams hadn't been able to double and triple him, knowing the Caps had no other goal scoring threats.

I think the trap era, if you will of the NHL also had a lot to do with that as well.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 am

Sir_Monk wrote:

I think the trap era, if you will of the NHL also had a lot to do with that as well.

Yes, and dump & chase hockey, and various rule changes. Even so, the Caps dumped Bob Carpenter, Mike Gartner, Larry Murphy, Scott Stevens to name a few players who might have helped Bondra have a better career.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't remember the specifics, but I think they had Scott Stevens dumped for them. One of my three favorite hockey players all-time (although Ovie is working his way up the list with every game).
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:27 pm

JansenFan wrote:I don't remember the specifics, but I think they had Scott Stevens dumped for them. One of my three favorite hockey players all-time (although Ovie is working his way up the list with every game).

Mine, too. Right there with Rod Langway.

Stevens was signed as a free agent by St. Louis, July 16, 1990.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:48 pm

He was, but I remember vaguely that the Caps were made to forego re-signing him as punishment for something. I'll see if I can't dig that information up at some point.
RIP 21

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:58 pm

He was, but I remember vaguely that the Caps were made to forego re-signing him as punishment for something. I'll see if I can't dig that information up at some point.

I always thought one of the major contributing factors to the Caps not re-signing him was the Limo incident after the Rangers series in 1990.

from the Scott Stevens wikipedia entry
On 16 July 1990, Scott Stevens was signed as a restricted free-agent by the St. Louis Blues. Because of Stevens' contract status, the Blues were required to compensate the Capitals with five first-round draft picks, two of whom (Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt) went on to have significant NHL careers.

Despite the high price that the Blues paid, Stevens' tenure with the team would be short. On 25 July 1991, former New Jersey Devil forward Brendan Shanahan was signed as a restricted free-agent by the Blues. Consequently, the Blues owed the Devils compensation for signing Shanahan. As Shanahan was a Type II free agent, the teams needed to agree on proper compensation the Devils should receive. The two teams could not come to an agreement and, as such, an arbiter was used to hear both sides and determine what the Devils would receive. The Blues made an offer of compensation [to the Devils] consisting of goaltender Curtis Joseph, forward Rod Brind'Amour and two future draft picks, but the Devils wanted Stevens. In a decision that would eventually be a catalyst for the first work stoppage involving NHL players by the owners in the 1994-1995 season, an arbitrator ruled in favor of the Devils, thereby sending Shanahan to the Blues in exchange for Stevens on 3 September 1991.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:23 pm

AHHH, that's the situation I vaguely remembered. It just happened to the Blues and not the Capitals. I definitely remember the Limo incident.
RIP 21

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:46 am

JansenFan wrote:I don't remember the specifics, but I think they had Scott Stevens dumped for them. One of my three favorite hockey players all-time (although Ovie is working his way up the list with every game).

Stevens was something else. I could feel the pain when he hit people. Ouch! He led those teams with his punishing defense. Wicked player. Definate hall of famer.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:49 am

GSPODS wrote:Wayne Gretzky would be interested to know what happened to his 92 goal season.

Oops. By a left winger passing Luke RObatie.

Anyhow My team is actually the mighty ducks. I still cheer for Ovechkin since he is such a stud. Actually I like the Caps in general. The way they showed heart this year they won me over. Bravo Capitals you are in the playoffs now you earned it. Go get the STanley Cup now.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Washington Sports Teams