Capitals Playoff Watch

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:00 am

When the Washington Capitals emerged from a meeting early yesterday afternoon at their Arlington headquarters, just hours after an excruciating overtime loss to the Philadelphia Flyers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, one absence was conspicuous.

Veteran goaltender Olie Kolzig had cleaned out his locker stall and left the building, skipping the mandatory meeting. He did not speak to reporters. After Monday's 3-2 loss at Verizon Center, he stripped his name tag off of his locker stall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03252.html

I'll be the first person to say that I think the Caps handled this poorly. Whether the Caps intended on letting Kolzig go or not, Kolzig stuck with the organization when he didn't have to. He deserved better than being permanently benched at season's end and for the entire playoff series.
Last edited by GSPODS on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 am

You have an odd habit of posting without citing the source or providing a link ... or really even setting off the cited material (I'm not saying that officially, it just makes it seem like it's all part of 'your' post and that's not entirely accurate) ... anyway, I can't speak as to how the situation was handled but I have no problem whatsoever with the benching, that was a performance-related move and probably overdue. I love Ollie but he wasn't helping the team this year.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:30 am

Fios wrote:You have an odd habit

I have many odd habits. Failure to cite sources is only the beginning.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am

I figured we were seeing the end of Kolzig. Too bad. He's a class act, and was one of the few bright spots during many dark seasons.

Here's hoping he does return next year; but if not, thanks for everything, Kolzig.

And congrats to the Caps. It was a disappointing loss, but it was most certainly not a disappointing season. Well done! =D>
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:01 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I figured we were seeing the end of Kolzig. Too bad. He's a class act, and was one of the few bright spots during many dark seasons.

Here's hoping he does return next year; but if not, thanks for everything, Kolzig.

And congrats to the Caps. It was a disappointing loss, but it was most certainly not a disappointing season. Well done! =D>

Agreed. Next on the Caps agenda is most likely re-signing the six or seven potential free agent players before June 1st. Huet, Green, Laich, Gordon, Morrisson, Cooke, Federov?

Return to Washington Sports Teams