Huet's Talks w/ Caps: Productive and Well Intentioned

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Evil Straw

Huet's Talks w/ Caps: Productive and Well Intentioned

Postby Fios » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:51 pm

From the inimitable Eric McErlain at FanHouse:

Last week was a pretty good one for the Washington Capitals. Alex Ovechkin walked away with both the Hart and Pearson Trophies at the NHL Awards, while head coach Bruce Boudreau snagged the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year. Then, just one day later, everyone came back to Washington for a full day of celebrating the best season the team enjoyed in many years.

Now the hard work starts. As my FanHouse colleague J.P. noted yesterday, there are plenty of players to get under contract, not the least of which is defenseman Mike Green. But while Green is a restricted free agent, the team has made it abundantly clear that any offer sheet the player gets will be matched without delay.

But above and beyond Green, a target of equal opportunity has to be goalie Cristobal Huet. Without a doubt, it was the acquisition of Huet at the trade deadline for just a second round draft pick that helped supercharge the team down the stretch and drive them to their first playoff appearance in five years. Outside of fellow unrestricted free agent Jose Theodore, Huet would have to be considered the top goalie available in this year's free agent class.

With all that in mind, I picked up the phone and called Huet's agent, Stephen Bartlett at his office in Pittsford, New York. And much to my surprise, he answered.

When I asked him how things were progressing between his client and the Capitals, he confirmed that he and the team had been in regular touch since Washington's loss in the first round of the playoffs against Philadelphia, and he characterized the talks as "productive and well intentioned," adding that he expected to meet with team officials face-to-face during the draft this weekend in Ottawa.

"Anytime you enter into a negotiation the intention is to get something done," though he quickly added the that until July 1 free agent signing period begins, the two sides were locked into a "one buyer, one seller negotiation."

In a time of year when other agents seem content to negotiate anonymously in the media, I dare say my conversation with Bartlett was refreshing. Stay tuned.

Here are Huet's career stats
RIP Sean Taylor

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:57 pm

I didn't look at Huet's stats, but it seems to me that if we don't get him signed, we are toast and Huet's agent knows it.

He's gonna wait until the free-agency to see what comes to boost the offers.

We've strained our relationship with Olie (I think he's technically still with us, right?) and may not be able to afford Huet.

This could get a little dicey if the only goalie we have left is B. Johnson.

Return to Washington Sports Teams