Caps Lock Up Mike Green/Huet update

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Evil Straw

Caps Lock Up Mike Green/Huet update

Postby Fios » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:21 pm

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/07/ ... -deadline/

TSN is reporting that the Washington Capitals and restricted free agent defenseman Mike Green have come to an agreement on a four-year contract that will pay him an average of $5.25 million per season. The signing has to be seen as a major relief for the franchise, as Green is just the sort of young impact player who may have well attracted an offer sheet from another franchise, this despite the fact that Washington General Manager George McPhee had made it clear from the outset that he would match any offer sheet Green might have received.

With Green signed, the team's immediate concern has to be signing unrestricted free agent goaltender Cristobal Huet. The latest word on those negotiations came from Corey Masisack of The Washington Times, who spoke with Huet's agent Stephen Bartlett. According to Bartlett, he and the Capitals hadn't been in contact for some time, as he had indicated to the team that he and Huet were committed to waiting until today to see what the market has to say about Huet's value. I talked briefly with Bartlett myself last Friday, and he said to me that while the team and Huet were in sync on the length of the contract, the holdup was, as it always is, the dollar amount.

Stay tuned.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:32 pm

Excellent. Green is among the best at a very difficult position to fill. Every team in the NHL would like to add young and talented defensemen. There aren't very many out there, so locking up Green was a great move.

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:49 am

ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals agreed to terms with Sergei Fedorov for a one-year, $4 million contract and rewarded forward Brooks Laich's career season with a three-year, $6.1 million deal on Wednesday.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:07 pm

GSPODS wrote:ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals agreed to terms with Sergei Fedorov for a one-year, $4 million contract and rewarded forward Brooks Laich's career season with a three-year, $6.1 million deal on Wednesday.

I knew abiout Laich, bt the team hasn't released anything about Federov. They said on the Caps Report podcast yesterday that they had heard the report and that they were in negotiations, but that nothing had been agreed upon. I hope they do re-sign him, but I hadn't heard anything official from the Caps as of the time of this post.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 pm

JansenFan wrote:
GSPODS wrote:ARLINGTON, Va. -- The Washington Capitals agreed to terms with Sergei Fedorov for a one-year, $4 million contract and rewarded forward Brooks Laich's career season with a three-year, $6.1 million deal on Wednesday.

I knew abiout Laich, bt the team hasn't released anything about Federov. They said on the Caps Report podcast yesterday that they had heard the report and that they were in negotiations, but that nothing had been agreed upon. I hope they do re-sign him, but I hadn't heard anything official from the Caps as of the time of this post.

Sorry. Brain Fart. Here is the Link.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36 ... rvice=page

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:36 pm

Not a bad price to pay for Fedorov... will certainly make the Caps strong down the middle if they can stay healthy...
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:19 pm

I am glad about Fed's coming back, but I wish we could have signed Matt Cooke, I really like his grit down the strech and playoffs.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:I am glad about Fed's coming back, but I wish we could have signed Matt Cooke, I really like his grit down the strech and playoffs.

I agree, made worse by his signing with the Penguins.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:10 am

Feds is official

[quote[FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – July 14, 2008

Capitals Sign Center Sergei Fedorov to One-Year Contract

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed center Sergei Fedorov to a one-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Fedorov (SAIR-gay FEH-duh-rahf), 38, will begin his 18th NHL season this year. The six-time NHL All-Star won three Stanley Cups as a member of the Detroit Red Wings (1997, ’98 and 2002), won the Hart Trophy as the league MVP in 1994 and won the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward in 1994 and ’96.

“We are happy to have Sergei back,” said vice president and general manager George McPhee. “What he brings to the club extends beyond the rink. He is a leader and a player that everyone on our team wanted back. We look forward to him helping us compete this upcoming season.”

A 6’2”, 207-pound native of Pskov, Russia, Fedorov played in 18 games for Washington last year after being acquired by the Capitals from Columbus at the trade deadline. He tallied two goals and 11 assists as a Capital and scored the game-winning goal in the final game of the season against Florida on April 5, that propelled Washington to a Southeast Division championship and its first playoff berth since 2003. Fedorov had one goal and four assists in seven playoff games for Washington.

Fedorov has averaged nearly a point per game in his career, with 1,146 points (472 goals, 674 assists) in 1,196 games with Detroit, Anaheim, Columbus and Washington. One of the most decorated Russian-born players in history, he has played in two Olympics, two World Cups, a Canada Cup and three World Junior Championships. He was the first Russian born and trained player to play 1,000 NHL games.

Detroit’s fourth choice, 74th overall, in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, Fedorov played 13 seasons with Detroit before signing with Anaheim as a free agent in 2003. Columbus acquired him via trade on Nov. 15, 2005. In NHL history he ranks 47th in career points (ninth among active players), tied for 49th in career goals (10th among active players) and 54th in career assists (12th among active players). Fedorov’s career plus/minus rating of +257 ranks first among all active forwards.

Washington now has three Hart Trophy winners on their roster for next season. Alex Ovechkin won the award last season, while goaltender Jose Theodore received the Hart Trophy after the 2001-02 season. Fedorov won it after the 1993-94 season. There are only nine Hart Trophy winners that are still active in the NHL.

Sergei Fedorov
Center
Ht.: 6’2” Wt.: 207 Shoots: Left
Born: Dec. 13, 1969 (Pskov, Russia)
Drafted: Detroit’s 4th round choice, 74th overall in 1989
Acquired: From Columbus in exchange for Theo Ruth, Feb. 26, 2008
[/quote]
RIP 21

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11 am

Feds is official

[quote[FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – July 14, 2008

Capitals Sign Center Sergei Fedorov to One-Year Contract

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed center Sergei Fedorov to a one-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Fedorov (SAIR-gay FEH-duh-rahf), 38, will begin his 18th NHL season this year. The six-time NHL All-Star won three Stanley Cups as a member of the Detroit Red Wings (1997, ’98 and 2002), won the Hart Trophy as the league MVP in 1994 and won the Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward in 1994 and ’96.

“We are happy to have Sergei back,” said vice president and general manager George McPhee. “What he brings to the club extends beyond the rink. He is a leader and a player that everyone on our team wanted back. We look forward to him helping us compete this upcoming season.”

A 6’2”, 207-pound native of Pskov, Russia, Fedorov played in 18 games for Washington last year after being acquired by the Capitals from Columbus at the trade deadline. He tallied two goals and 11 assists as a Capital and scored the game-winning goal in the final game of the season against Florida on April 5, that propelled Washington to a Southeast Division championship and its first playoff berth since 2003. Fedorov had one goal and four assists in seven playoff games for Washington.

Fedorov has averaged nearly a point per game in his career, with 1,146 points (472 goals, 674 assists) in 1,196 games with Detroit, Anaheim, Columbus and Washington. One of the most decorated Russian-born players in history, he has played in two Olympics, two World Cups, a Canada Cup and three World Junior Championships. He was the first Russian born and trained player to play 1,000 NHL games.

Detroit’s fourth choice, 74th overall, in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, Fedorov played 13 seasons with Detroit before signing with Anaheim as a free agent in 2003. Columbus acquired him via trade on Nov. 15, 2005. In NHL history he ranks 47th in career points (ninth among active players), tied for 49th in career goals (10th among active players) and 54th in career assists (12th among active players). Fedorov’s career plus/minus rating of +257 ranks first among all active forwards.

Washington now has three Hart Trophy winners on their roster for next season. Alex Ovechkin won the award last season, while goaltender Jose Theodore received the Hart Trophy after the 2001-02 season. Fedorov won it after the 1993-94 season. There are only nine Hart Trophy winners that are still active in the NHL.

Sergei Fedorov
Center
Ht.: 6’2” Wt.: 207 Shoots: Left
Born: Dec. 13, 1969 (Pskov, Russia)
Drafted: Detroit’s 4th round choice, 74th overall in 1989
Acquired: From Columbus in exchange for Theo Ruth, Feb. 26, 2008
[/quote]
RIP 21

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 am

Excellent. I knew Ovechkin and Semin liked Federov, but to hear everyone wanted him back means he brings a lot more to the Caps than just his name.

Return to Washington Sports Teams