Cristobal Huet Update (Sort of)

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
and Jackson

Cristobal Huet Update (Sort of)

Postby JansenFan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:09 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – July 1, 2008

Capitals Sign Goaltender Jose Theodore to Two-Year Contract

ARLINGTON, Va. – The Washington Capitals have signed goaltender Jose Theodore to a two-year contract, vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today. In keeping with club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Theodore, who will turn 32 on Sept. 13, won the Hart Trophy as the NHL’s most valuable player in 2001-02. The 5’11”, 182-pound native of Laval, Quebec, is a 12-year professional who spent the last two seasons with the Colorado Avalanche. He was 28-21-3 with three shutouts, a 2.44 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage in 2007-08, including a 21-13-2 record, a 2.24 GAA and a .919 save percentage in his last 37 starts.

Theodore started 20 of the Avalanche’s last 21 games in 2007-08 en route to his fifth career 20-win season. He ranked fifth among NHL goaltenders with a 2.24 GAA after January 1. Theodore posted a 6-1 record in shootouts this season and has a 9-2 mark in shootouts in his career.

A second-round choice of the Montreal Canadiens in the 1994 NHL Draft, Theodore spent parts of 10 seasons with Montreal, including his Hart Trophy season in 2002. He also won the Vezina Trophy as the league’s top goaltender and made his first of two NHL All-Star Game appearances that year.

Theodore appeared in his 400th career game in 2007-08 and has a career mark of 183-197-40, with a 2.65 GAA and a .909 save percentage. He ranks 10th among active goaltenders in career appearances (444) and 14th in victories (183).

Jose Theodore
Goaltender
Ht.: 5’11” Wt.: 182 Catches: Right
Born: September 13, 1976 (Laval, Quebec)
Drafted: Montreal’s second-round choice, 44th overall, in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft
Acquired: Signed as a free agent, July 1, 2008
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm glad they signed another goaltender, but how is this an update on Huet? I really hope this isn't a replacement for Huet.

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:17 pm

GSPODS wrote:I'm glad they signed another goaltender, but how is this an update on Huet? I really hope this isn't a replacement for Huet.

1) It says sort of
2) You can't see how signing another goal tender might have some bearing on the Huet negotiations?
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Fios wrote:
GSPODS wrote:I'm glad they signed another goaltender, but how is this an update on Huet? I really hope this isn't a replacement for Huet.

1) It says sort of
2) You can't see how signing another goal tender might have some bearing on the Huet negotiations?

Yes, it does.
No, I can't. Call me Obtuse, but Jose Theodore isn't scaring anyone into or out of contract negotiations.

Unable to keep Cristobal Huet in the fold, Washington GM George McPhee went for the second-best option on the free-agent market and signed former Vezina and Hart Trophy winner Jose Theodore

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 pm

whatever man
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Fios wrote:whatever man

The Capitals met the asking price of Huet and his agent before the free agent shopping season started today, but the French-born goaltender elected to wait and accept a contract offer from the Chicago Blackhawks.

You're right. Whatever.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:47 am

Theodore doesnt sign here if he's backing up Huet. The Caps don't sign Theodore if huet is coming back. Ergo, the signing of theodore is an update on Huet because it means huet ain't signing here (as evidenced by the fact that he signed with the Hawks).
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:51 am

JansenFan wrote:Theodore doesnt sign here if he's backing up Huet. The Caps don't sign Theodore if huet is coming back. Ergo, the signing of theodore is an update on Huet because it means huet ain't signing here (as evidenced by the fact that he signed with the Hawks).

That's what I was afraid of.
Was it wrong of me to hope against hope that both Huet and Theodore would be wearing Capitals uniforms next season? The thought was good for all of the hour or so that it lasted.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:00 pm

I wish we could have resigned Huet, his consistency really helped us down the strech. At the same time, he is 32, and I think wanted a larger contract then the Caps were willing to offer, considering the prospects we have in the farm system.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Actually, I'd heard that the Caps matched the numbers his agent asked for, but he chose to sign with the Blackhawks. Just a rumor, though.
RIP 21

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 pm

This news is a tragedy. Maybe there was something behind the scenes he didn't like? :|
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:This news is a tragedy. Maybe there was something behind the scenes he didn't like? :|

Tragedy?????

Dude... it's HOCKEY.

Horrible news for Caps fans... perhaps... but, tragedy????
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

I've been known to exaggerate on occasion. :oops:

I really liked Huet's performance with the Caps, though. And since we essentially gave up on Kolzig to play him, I was hoping he'd stick around a little longer. . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:44 am

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:This news is a tragedy. Maybe there was something behind the scenes he didn't like? :|

Tragedy?????

Dude... it's HOCKEY.

Horrible news for Caps fans... perhaps... but, tragedy????

I think I would say this is a lamentable misfortune, a travesty, a perversion of sports justice, rather than a tragedy.
Tragedy, to me, summons comparison with the Greek writings of Homer.
But to each, his or her own. If the Caps have a major letdown this season, I may join Irn-Bru in the tragedy sentiment, especially if a Caps letdown is combined with a stellar season from Huet with the Blackhawks.

Because I am demented and want to make this a legitimate tragedy, I am hoping to see reports of "Blackhawk Down" this upcoming season, in reference to Huet. :evil: Whatever his reasoning, the Caps gave Huet the opportunity to perform and seek that max contract he signed. He could have had the decency to recognize that by sticking around.

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:33 am

It's ok. It's not like Theodore is a chump.
RIP 21

Return to Washington Sports Teams