Camp Capsule #7

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Site Admin

Camp Capsule #7

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:03 pm

Thursday AM

It was a little overcast this morning, so I figured with only one practice today that we'd be treated to a good one. I was wrong. Today was definitely the dullest practice this week and we were sloppy to boot. There were even referees there today, so we hought we were going to be treated to a scrimmage.

When I arrived at 8:45 there were already a lot of guys on the field doing some special teams practice.Chad Morton was very vocal and definitely seemed to have already gained loads of confidence. The guy is very likeable. He was the first one on the field (I was told) and he was the last one off the field. He and Matt Bowen have the kind of work ethic out there that you love to see.

After 10-15 minutes of stretcing the team split into offensive and defensive units. I stuck with the o-line again today, but once again, there was little to gauge anything on. The offense just lined up in formation and practiced some different sets. The only observation of note that I have for you is that Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen were instructing all the other players when they weren't in their three-point stances. I love to see that kind of leadership and awareness.

About half an hour into practice, the offense and defense got back together for some 11 on 11. On the very first play, Lavar proved that obviously yesterday's injury was nothing serious... he blasted at Zeron Flemister and drove him all the way back to Ramsey. Ramsey just stood in there and fired a bomb down the right sideline into the waiting arms of Laveranues Coles.

On the next play, only a great read by Bowen prevented Ramsey from making another good completion. Matt also ran down Kenny Watson from behind again today. You're going to love this guy... when's the last time we had a good safety? He's fast, he's cerebral, and more importanly, he's got that eye of the tiger that you love to see in the secondary. When Bowen was at Iowa, he wrote in the Daily Iowan that, 'Every time you lose, a piece of you dies. And you can never get it back.' Impressively... he practices the exact same way.

The offense and Ramsey actually didn't have a great day. There were some sloppy plays and the unit just wasn't that sharp. It could also have had something to do with the play of the defense. Andre Lott had his best practice of camp. He stripped the ball from a receiver on one play and pulled in a tip for an interception on another. I guess Ifyani Ohalete must have felt some pressure because he stepped up and really smacked Robert Royal for the best hit of the day.

Other notables from the 11 on 11's...

Patrick Johnson got quite a few reps today and made some good catches. There were a lot of guys sitting out today, so perhaps it had something to do with that. Word was, that anyone rehabbing an injury was given the day off, so Cliff Russell's reps may have gone to Johnson.

Rob Johnson didn't throw the ball at all today. He did run in the sprints though, so I'll try to figure out why he wasn't throwing by tomorrow. Johnson's absence meant more reps for both Gibran Hamdan and Brad Banks, but neither of them took advantage of it. like i said the offense just looked out of synch today.

Derrick Dockery had a little shoving match with someone today, but i couldn't really see who it was.

Sean Dillard has great hands and good speed. He won't crack this receiving corps, but I watched him field punts and kickoffs brilliantly, so he may catch on with somebody.

Taylor Jacobs was good again today. He runs great routes, you can really appreciate the crispness of a Fun 'N Gun route when you watch him. Russell has been very impressive, but Jacobs familiarity with the system will definitely lead him to some substantial playing time in his rookie season. He was also initiated today.

At the end of practice, Brian (redskinfan) noticed that Jon Jansen had taken Jacobs out of the post practice stretch down. They were walking down the field, Jansen's arm around Taylor's shoulder. At this point, I looked at Brian and I said that that could mean only one thing... a hazing. So we ran down to the end they were heading too and we started yellling "Tape him up Jon." Everybody around us thought that we were nuts, but sure enough, they got to the goalposts and Jon taped him there. Then they poured gatorade and water all over him. It was great... we were definitely the first ones to figure out what was going on. Unfortunately, he was only there for a couple of minutes... not like Fred Smoot or Patrick Ramsey's more lengthy stay. Ramsey was actually the one who cut him down.

Derrick Dockery also carried Randy Thomas' equipment to the dressing room for him.

That's about it, like I sad, it was a fairly dull practice.

I want to set up a meeting place for tokmorrow since a few of you have been looking for me and not found me. I am going to stand at the picnec benches in front of the tents tomorrow AM between 9:00 and 9:10 while the team is stretching. Look for the visor and join us for a practice!
Last edited by BossHog on Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby newshog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:07 pm

Great stuff, BossHog--as usual! Now my fear is that when you head back to the great Arctic waste that we'll have a drop off in coverage. You recruiting anybody to take your place? And will they then recruit somebody? Gotta keep this train rolling--it's awesome!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:12 pm

Redskinfan is going o do up reports for the days that he comes to practice and I'll try to recruit a couple more 'roving reporters' before I leave.

Really all I am doing is taking notes as I go. I'm no journalist and I'm just trying to give ALL of my observations and not take anything for granted as 'common knowledge'.

I'd love for some of you guys who were at practice to send me your notes when I get back to Canada and I'll keep writing them up if you're not comfortable reporting.

I'm having a blast though. Everyone... tell your friends to check out the reports and visit the site... maybe then the Skins will get me a press pass. Then I could really bring you guys even better coverage.

Hog

Was a very sloppy practice

Postby skinsfanno9 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:52 pm

I also made it down there today (and looked for you Boss, but to no avail - Man! a tun more people showed up this morning than last tues evening).

It was a very sloppy practice. Almost everyone but Coles was dropping passes (Coles looked awesome though). Leaonard Stephens (45) dropped two in a row. Ramsey only threw one bad pass that I saw, one that was about 10 yards underthrown to Coles that was intercepted.

There were a couple neat happenings that I saw. Champ Bailey and LaVar spent a LOT of time talking with Snyder. Champ especially talked for like 10 minutes at one point after LaVar left (Snyder uses "Off" bug spray if anyone cares - they keep it by the white chairs for him). Also, I got some good pictures of Ramsey and Coles warming up together, they seemed pretty comfortable with one another and were having some pretty fun jokes with one of the coaches - Ramsey was really "hooting" it up.

Also, while Rob Johnson did not participate in some of the earlier drills, I did see him on the close side of the field (when champ was with Snyder) - they had just QBs, WRs and DBs working. Rob looked horrible, as did the other backup QBs. While Brad Banks did aright in the earlier drills, he threw two horrid passes in a row on the WR/DB drills - one hit the ground about 5 feet in front of the receiver. I came away very worried that if Ramsey goes down, we are toast!

They did a lot of drills on the special teams receiving team, mostly in getting the linemen to run back to form a wall for Chad Morton. They also did O-line versus Dline drills. For the scrimages that did occur, there were a decent number of penalties, the worst being on a simulated 3rd and 1 call.

Other notes - Rock Cartwright made some good catches in traffic; Ohalete Laid out Kenny Watson once; Ramsey did a scary run out of bounds to the right side, and fell down out of bounds after being chased out, and LaVar made a clean break to Ramsey on one scrimage play. Canidate looked good in the few RB drills they had.

At one point early, I went to the other side to see the defense, and saw the secondary folks driving back a tackle post. It was pretty cool, but the Mosquitos were so bad I had to leave.

Most all the same people came to sign autographs that were out on Tuesday evening. Ramsey, Smoot, Matt Bowen (who did look awesome out there), Hamden, Brad Badell and Chris Samuels came along with Jeremiah Trotter, Cliff Russel and Bernard Holsey (90). Apparently I missed Lavar again, who supposedly stayed late on Wednesday.

Also, I heard from one of the staff on the Taylor Jacobs thing that as they were pouting Gatorade on him, they said, You're a Florida Gator, so you need some Gatorade!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:58 pm

Nice coverage... maybe you can do a few when I'm gone?

Look for me at the picnic benches tomorrow morning.

BossHog

Hog

Not sure how often I can make it

Postby skinsfanno9 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:50 pm

I can't be there tomorrow or Saturday. I might be able to be in next Tuesday or some other days next week. I will certainly post whenever I can. When are you leaving?

piglet

Postby OhioSkinsFan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:41 pm

I just want to thank all you guys for giving a great effort and providing great coverage of spring training practice. I keep checking for updates 3 or 4 times a day. I originally from the DC area but I live and work in ohio now so it's hard to get any good redskin news around here. Thanks for all the hard work. Keep the good reports coming.

-------

Postby RedskinsFreak » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:04 pm

After originally thinking I wasn't going there at all -- I absolutely HATE the idea of camp at Redskin Park -- I might now be going twice in five days. I hope to hook up with Boss tomorrow (hey, if I'm not there at 9:00, check the benches at 10:00) and then go with a friend next Tuesday.

Still don't know how I got talked into this! :)
***** Hail To The Redskins!!! *****

BA + MS = A New Beginning

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:31 pm

Right on RedskinsFreak, I look forward to watching practice with you. I'll check the benches at 10 if I don't catch you at 9.

Skinsfanno9, I'm only staying until Sunday unfortunately. I got your pics too, thanks a lot. If I can stay online for more than 5 minutes at a time, I'll get them posted. I wish we could have hooked up.

Posts about practice after I have left would be greatly appreciated. I know my man Brian is going to do a couple, and if we can just get a few others to do the same, we should be able to get through most of camp.

If you look around the net, there's more stuff here than anywhere else that I've found. If any of you know Michelle Tessier, head of media for the Redskins, put in a good word for us :-) I sent her an e-mail today requesting media passes.

They (NFL) don't give much credit to internet sites so it's a tough haul.

Regardless, being here has been awesome and I'm glad you guys are enjoying a Canadian schmuck's take on camp.

When I get back to Canada, the newshog and I will get going on the full blown news section again. At least then all of your news will be in one place. For any of you newbies to the site, welcome, and make sure you hit the news section once we re-open it. The newshog is a freak and posts as many as 60 redskin articles in a day (after a game). It's a nice place to get all the info that you need.

scooter

Load Problem

Postby Scooter » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:40 am

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be quite a few sites on the web with problems loading this morning. I could still read the report in the secion for easy navigation, or the menu to the left. I'll touch base with you later - keep up the good work eh!

Postby TennesseeCarl » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:31 am

"Really all I am doing is taking notes as I go. I'm no journalist and I'm just trying to give ALL of my observations and not take anything for granted as 'common knowledge'."

If I want to read 'journalism', I've got access to the Post, Times, ESPN, and Lord knows what else. I want to read what a Washington Redskin fan thinks of sessions at training camp.

I don't want someone who's fearful of saying, 'the team had a lackluster practice' because they might lose access if they tick Dan Snyder off.

Love your reports!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007