Caps Today

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Caps Today

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:24 pm

Updated news releases from the Washington Capitals

10/09/08

New Season, New Tricks – With the AHL season now underway, the Hershey Bears showed they will be a force with a commanding 8-4 victory over the Wilkes-Bare/Scranton Penguins Wednesday night. Hershey had all three stars of the game, with first star Graham Mink (3g, 2a), second star Keith Aucoin (1g, 4a) and third star Alexandre Giroux (1g, 2a) leading a balanced offensive attack. A number of future Capitals were on display, as Hershey continues to play an important role for the Caps in the development of players. Seven current Capitals (John Erskine, Eric Fehr, Tomas Fleischmann, Boyd Gordon, Mike Green, Jeff Schultz and David Steckel) plus head coach Bruce Boudreau spent time with the Bears before making their way to Washington .

The Capitals play three games over the course of this upcoming weekend. They will be raising the Southeastern Division Championship Banner Saturday night before their game versus Chicago.

All fans attending the game will recieve a minature replica of the banner and are encouraged to "rock the red"!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:52 pm

awesome i will be there
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 am

10/10/08

The more things stay the same, the more they change – The puck drops on Washington’s 2008-09 season tonight in Atlanta – the same place where last year’s campaign began – and the Capitals will field a roster with only two players who didn’t take the ice in last year’s opener. But that’s where the parallels end. The defending Southeast Division champions are an example of how quickly things can change in pro sports, as they enter this season with a new coach, new expectations, three former Hart Trophy winners (they had none a year ago) and a sense that they can accomplish something special. It all begins with three games in the next four nights, first in Atlanta and then back in Washington for games tomorrow and Monday.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:12 am

With all due respect to the Capitals - the 'extra' two hart trophy winners are Segei Fedorov - who won it FOURTEEN YEARS AGO and Jose Theodore, who IMO, may now actually be the weakest link in their chain.

That isn't to say that I don't see the Caps doing even bigger and better things this season - I do. I just don't see it being because of either of those two players specifically. Fedorov will contribute no doubt - but not in a Hart-like manner.

I'll be happy if Theodore could find HALF the form that he had in 2000-2001 when he won the Hart in Montreal.

This team needs to rely on the youth that haven't won any trophies yet.

And of course Ovechkin will play the role he always does - and compete for the Hart again in 2008/2009 - after all, he's the best all around hockey player on the globe.

Would love to see Mike Green continue off where he finished last year and be in the running for the Norris... although Lidstrom has won 6 of the last 7, so it would seem an uphill battle as long as he's still playing - and its tough to argue that the guy deserves every one of them.

My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:47 am

Personally, I think the thing I'm most interested to see this year is Ovie on the PK.

He seemed to do pretty good with it during the pre-season, maybe we'll see more shorties this year!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:34 am

Bob 0119 wrote:Personally, I think the thing I'm most interested to see this year is Ovie on the PK.

He seemed to do pretty good with it during the pre-season, maybe we'll see more shorties this year!

Didn't Boudreau nix Ovechkin playing PK late in the preseason after Alex got a puck off the foot blocking a shot?

And after last night's game - I'd say my above assessment of Theodore was pretty accurate... well, if you could actually judge ANYTHING from one game. Since you can't - we'll just have to hope that he can improve his play... it wasn't very good against Atlanta. My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:02 am

And after last night's game - I'd say my above assessment of Theodore was pretty accurate... well, if you could actually judge ANYTHING from one game. Since you can't - we'll just have to hope that he can improve his play... it wasn't very good against Atlanta.

I only saw the highlights on the NHL channel, but it looked like he did not even bother to play the shot on the fourth goal Atlanta scored.

It will be interesting tonight with Huet between the pipes for Chicago.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:09 am

I have now started posting all press release stuff in the THN on Ice section. Here's today's press release

You can also bookmark this address for all blogs Caps related

http://www.thehogs.net/blogs/category/w ... -capitals/

Theodore looked better Saturday night in the second and third period. It was starting to look pretty grim when he gave up a goal 30 seconds in and had given up two by the end of the first, but he settled in and played great in periods 2 and 3.

Boudreau is still putting Ovie on both the PP and PK lines. Ovie was on the PK several times last night and I believe it will pay off later in the season. The Caps on the PK with Ovie look like they are actually on the power-play (at least they did last night).

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:56 pm

Boudreau is still putting Ovie on both the PP and PK lines. Ovie was on the PK several times last night and I believe it will pay off later in the season. The Caps on the PK with Ovie look like they are actually on the power-play (at least they did last night).

I wish they would move him off the PK unit. It makes me cringe everytime he goes to block a shot.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:56 am

10/16/08

Today’s Storyline

Mirror, mirror
– The Capitals skate into Pittsburgh tonight for the first meeting of the year with the team that Washington is often compared to. Built around a superstar and several other high draft picks – much like the Capitals – the Penguins reached the Stanley Cup final last year. Games against Washington ’s former Patrick Division rival always get the spotlight, but even more could be on the line this year as these two teams figure to be among the elite in the Eastern Conference.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Take that Pittsburgh!

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:24 am

Sorry, I've missed alot. Had a family emergency to attend to. Here's a recap of what I missed.

The Caps beat the Pens in Pittsburgh (a rarity)
The Caps recalled Chris Bourque from Hershey on Friday.
The Caps played a good game versus the Devils, but lost in an overtime shoot-out moving their record to 3-1-1.

Here's the latest news from the Caps this morning.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – October 20, 2008

Capitals Recall Tyler Sloan from Hershey

ARLINGTON, Va., – The Washington Capitals have recalled defenseman Tyler Sloan from the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Sloan, 27, is a seventh-year pro who is in his third season with the Bears. He skated in the first five games this season – all Hershey victories – and has recorded three assists. He played 124 games with Hershey the past two seasons combined after making his debut with the club during its run to the Calder Cup championship in the 2006 AHL playoffs.

A 6’4”, 203-pound native of Calgary , Alberta , Sloan has played 362 career games at the AHL and ECHL levels but has yet to make his NHL debut. He will travel with the Capitals to his hometown today and be eligible to make his debut tomorrow night against the Calgary Flames. Sloan would wear No. 89 for the Capitals.

Sloan, who signed with the Capitals as a free agent on July 2, was a teammate of Capitals defenseman Shaone Morrisonn with the Kamloops Blazers of the Western Hockey League (WHL), where he played for two seasons.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:25 am

10/20/08

Today’s Storyline

Home away from home
– Washington begins its second-longest road trip of the season today, but it will be familiar territory for a number of Capitals. When the team touches down in Calgary this afternoon, a handful of Caps will feel like they’ve come home. Among them:

Mike Green – the top goal scoring defenseman in the NHL is a Calgary native
Jeff Schultz – the Caps’ third-year defenseman is a Calgary native who played junior hockey for the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen
Tyler Sloan – a Calgary native who was recalled this morning and has yet to make his NHL debut
Chris Clark – a former Calgary Flame who was a member of the Western Conference championship team in 2004
Michael Nylander – played parts of five seasons with the Flames
Dean Evason – the Caps’ assistant coach is a former coach of the WHL’s Calgary Hitmen

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:51 am

10/22/08

Today’s Storyline

A dramatic debut
– Like Houdini stepping back inside his Chinese Water Torture Cell, Alex Ovechkin returns to Jobing.com Arena today for the first time since “The Goal” made him a YouTube sensation. Ovechkin was well on his way to the Calder Trophy when the Caps visited what was Glendale Arena on Jan. 16, 2006. His second goal of that afternoon was viewed more than 100,000 times in the next week on the Capitals’ website alone.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:53 am

Today’s Storyline

Net results
– Washington has dropped back-to-back games (one in a shootout), but goaltending hasn’t been a concern in either one. Jose Theodore and Brent Johnson have combined to turn aside 60 of the last 65 shots they have faced (.923 save percentage) and are both on top of their games entering tonight’s meeting with Phoenix . In fact, each has an identical .933 save percentage in their last five periods of play. While Washington’s power play (one for its last 17) and offense in general (four goals in two games) work their way back into form, it helps head coach Bruce Boudreau to know that he can expect a solid performance from whatever goaltender he turns to.

Note of the Night

The Russian is coming
– Sergei Fedorov, who has points in four straight games (1g-3a), tied the NHL record for career goals by a Russian-born player with his 473rd Tuesday in Calgary . Fedorov already holds the record for points and assists by a Russian player.

Most Career Goals, Russian-Born Players

1. Sergei Fedorov 473

Alexander Mogilny 473

3. Pavel Bure 437

Most Career Points, Russian-Born Players

1. Sergei Fedorov 1,151

2. Alexander Mogilny 1,032

3. Alex Kovalev 876

Most Career Assists, Russian-Born Players

1. Sergei Fedorov 678

2. Sergei Zubov 617

3. Alexander Mogilny 559

Settling in – Capitals goaltenders Brent Johnson and Jose Theodore both have save percentages below .890, but they have been solid lately. In their last two games, both have save percentage above .900 (Johnson at .915, Theodore at .907). In their last five periods of work each has an identical .933 save percentage (42 saves, 3 GA each).

On the Job – Washington 's last visit to Jobing.com Arena (then Glendale Arena) produced one of the most memorable moments in franchise history. Alex Ovechkin scored what came to be known as "The Goal," creating an Internet sensation in the process. It was his second goal of the game, a 6-1 Capitals win, and his 32nd of the season, which tied Bob Carpenter for the club record by a rookie. Ovechkin went on to score 20 more goals for a 52-goal, 106-point rookie season.

Powerless – After going 4-for-15 (26.7%) on the power play in their first three games of the season, the Capitals are 1-for-17 (5.9%) since. Washington ranks 16th in the league with a 15.6% power play after finishing 10th in the NHL last year (18.8%).

Positive thoughts – Sergei Fedorov and Alexander Semin, both +1 Tuesday night, improved to +7 for the season, which is tied for second in the NHL (through Tuesday's games). Semin was -18 last year and has never finished a season as a plus player; Fedorov has the best career plus/minus rating (+264) of any active forward, but hasn't had a positive season since 2002-03.

Dig deeper – Washington , which averaged more than four goals per game in its first four outings, has been held to four goals combined in its last two games.

Return to Washington Sports Teams