The Lernrs make me wish SAnyder owned the New Nats

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff

The Lernrs make me wish SAnyder owned the New Nats

Postby welch » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Subject says it. I have grumbled about Dan Snyder for a long time, and hated the Spurrier Era. Still, I think that Snyder works to put a winning team on the field. He has bungled, but he wants to win.

The Lerners, in contrast, seem to be running the New Nats on a tighter budget than NLB ran the team in 2005. This year's team is the worst I can remember, and I was born beside old Griffith Stdium, and watched Mickey Vernon and Mickey Grasso. (You can look 'em up.). Worse than the late '50s teams when Calvin Griffith traded off salary for quantity, practically giving away Jim Busby (decent-hitting great filing CF), Mickey Vernon (two-time AL batting champ), Pete Runnels (.300 hitting SS/2B), and the astounding Eddie Yost (typical season: 150 walks).

This team would take Herbie Plews and start him.

A thought: if the Lerners don't have enough money to pay players like Jon Rauch, then why were they allowed to buy the team? Are we stuck with another version of <the owner whose name cannot be mentioned outside Smack but who moved the team to Texas>?

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:44 pm

The Lerners have plenty of money and will spend it when the time is right (rumor out right now that they will offer Mark Teixeira 10 years and $200 million). The problem is that they inherited a garbage team with the worst minor league system in the majora. Before they start spending money on free agents and such they have to shore up the farm system or else you end up with a situation like the Orioles, who spent big money on guys like Miguel Tejada but didn't have the players in the minors to complement him. If you look at what the Nats are doing, it's very similar to what Stan Kasten did with the Braves and that turned out pretty well for Atlanta. When they took over the team they didn't hide the fact that it would be a building process and it is going to take some time for them to develop a core group of players before they start throwing around the free agent money.
Suck and Luck

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Now that Tex is gone, I'll say agin that the Lerners need to sign about three genuine major leaguers to hold the team together until the Single-A players make it...if they ever do, and that's a long ump from A to the majors.

I don't see any field players at either AA or AAA who can help. I've read that the Nats have a .500 record or better, overall, in the farm system, but that doesn't mean much.

Who plays first next year? None of the OF should start, although I love the way Harris fields. Cathcing is about OK...no better. That leaves 3B and maye SS.

If the Lerners have the money, let them buy a couple real players. Not ARod or others of that class, but just B-type solid major leaguers.

I've been a Nats fan since 1952 or '53 (no kidding...CT and I (probably argued about Roy Sievers and Mickey Vernon on the playground at Bunker Hill Elementary!), and this was the worst season except maybe the New Senators until they traded for Frank Howard and Ken McMullen.

(Meanwhile, I'm hoping for a 9th win today, against SF, and a good winter trying to follow the Caps. The Nats look bad.)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Are we stuck with another version of <the owner whose name cannot be mentioned outside Smack but who moved the team to Texas>?

My blood pressure has risen, just thinking about that (ahem) "person". (It's not possible to appropriately identify him outside of Smack)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Are we stuck with another version of <the owner whose name cannot be mentioned outside Smack but who moved the team to Texas>?

My blood pressure has risen, just thinking about that (ahem) "person". (It's not possible to appropriately identify him outside of Smack)

My late grandfather was the VP/treasurer of that team
RIP Sean Taylor

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:00 am

No!

Couldn't someone warn <he who cannot be named> that Washington is a great sports town? When Curious George Allen started coaching, a Redskin ticket became the hottest thing in town. You just had to count the population without stopping at the District Line. The metropolitan area was already big, and, say what you want about the US government, they hardly ever have mass layoffs.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 pm

welch wrote:Now that Tex is gone, I'll say agin that the Lerners need to sign about three genuine major leaguers to hold the team together until the Single-A players make it...if they ever do, and that's a long ump from A to the majors.

I don't see any field players at either AA or AAA who can help. I've read that the Nats have a .500 record or better, overall, in the farm system, but that doesn't mean much.

Who plays first next year? None of the OF should start, although I love the way Harris fields. Cathcing is about OK...no better. That leaves 3B and maye SS.

If the Lerners have the money, let them buy a couple real players. Not ARod or others of that class, but just B-type solid major leaguers.

I've been a Nats fan since 1952 or '53 (no kidding...CT and I (probably argued about Roy Sievers and Mickey Vernon on the playground at Bunker Hill Elementary!), and this was the worst season except maybe the New Senators until they traded for Frank Howard and Ken McMullen.

(Meanwhile, I'm hoping for a 9th win today, against SF, and a good winter trying to follow the Caps. The Nats look bad.)

The offseason isn't over yet. They are rumored to be interested in Dunn and Hudson. Have also been linked to possible trades involving either Swisher or Nady.
Suck and Luck

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:39 pm

I'd be pretty surprised to see Dunn end up in DC and, were I the Nats, I'd avoid dealing for either Nady or Swisher unless the deal was too good to pass up.
RIP Sean Taylor

Return to Washington Sports Teams