BLOW IT UP!!

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:44 pm

First of all, let me clarify that I presume "blowing a team up" is to basically get rid of everybody, good or bad and start from scratch. I am not sure that is a possibility, but, anything can happen I guess :lol: Cut everyone, they're all busts!

I am not in favor of "blowing it up" but I do hope that we make a major effort to rebuild around the players that we feel will provide a basis for a team that in 2 to 3 years can help this team continue down the path of adding younger players and coaching them to form a great team. :wink:

It is amazing that some fans here can look at our team and think about not having a good player (who is here and helping the team) and then in the same post be thinking what would we do without him :shock: Give me a break! - let the guys that have some idea of what is going on in the NFL (and there are many here at THN) bring suggestions to us that we can consider - there are a lot of fans here who remind me of that old saying "you do not know how little some fans know about anything until they show you" :lol:

Then again, I must admit that a lot of posters here show how lucky we are to have so many posters (at THN) who do know a thing or two about what is going on :twisted:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

swine

Postby dad23hogjrs » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:47 pm

"2) We have yet to discuss compensatory picks." - DarthMonk

We got the highest compensatory pick for Dockery possible because he got top dollar at his position. It was after the regularly scheduled third round (i.e. actually the beginning of the 4th depending on how you look at it).

None of the guys on the list would get top dollar at their position, so we are talking 5's, 6's, 7's if we get them. (one of the more informed guys on the rules can help here, I am not sure if you get them if you release the player...might only be if he leaves via his choice in free agency)

If you are willing to take the cap hit on Portis, and I am NOT saying we should, might be best suited to see if a RB goes down in camp for someone else and they would be willing to trade a pick...
....though you may not get a 2nd for him, I mean, who gives up 2nd round picks for aging stars due to injuries in camp....that would be silly.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 pm

SkinsJock wrote:First of all, let me clarify that I presume "blowing a team up" is to basically get rid of everybody, good or bad and start from scratch. I am not sure that is a possibility, but, anything can happen I guess :lol: Cut everyone, they're all busts!

Well of course no team could really meet that criteria, there have been maybe one or two teams in history that did something even close to that. :) I've been presuming that 'blowing it up' means replacing more starters than average by some margin. What Schotty did when he came in fits that category. IF we were to cut the players that are being discussed in this thread, I think we'd fit that criteria.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:First of all, let me clarify that I presume "blowing a team up" is to basically get rid of everybody, good or bad and start from scratch. I am not sure that is a possibility, but, anything can happen I guess :lol: Cut everyone, they're all busts!

Well of course no team could really meet that criteria, there have been maybe one or two teams in history that did something even close to that. :) I've been presuming that 'blowing it up' means replacing more starters than average by some margin. What Schotty did when he came in fits that category. IF we were to cut the players that are being discussed in this thread, I think we'd fit that criteria.

I got close :wink:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am

dad23hogjrs wrote:"2) We have yet to discuss compensatory picks." - DarthMonk

We got the highest compensatory pick for Dockery possible because he got top dollar at his position. It was after the regularly scheduled third round (i.e. actually the beginning of the 4th depending on how you look at it).

None of the guys on the list would get top dollar at their position, so we are talking 5's, 6's, 7's if we get them. (one of the more informed guys on the rules can help here, I am not sure if you get them if you release the player...might only be if he leaves via his choice in free agency)

If you are willing to take the cap hit on Portis, and I am NOT saying we should, might be best suited to see if a RB goes down in camp for someone else and they would be willing to trade a pick...
....though you may not get a 2nd for him, I mean, who gives up 2nd round picks for aging stars due to injuries in camp....that would be silly.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you get awarded a comp pick for a guy you cut under contract, only for guys who are Free Agents because their contracts naturally expired.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 am

1niksder wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:First of all, let me clarify that I presume "blowing a team up" is to basically get rid of everybody, good or bad and start from scratch. I am not sure that is a possibility, but, anything can happen I guess :lol:

I understand the point you are both making and while I personally don't think of a 'plan' like this as "blowing it up" per se I consider the moves and cuts as suggested by 1niksder as along the lines of what I would like to see over the next 2 years - to me, "blowing it up" would indicate trying to get this done this year :shock:

But, yes! That is basically what I would like the team to try and do over the next 2 years - we need to get younger and deeper.

I also agree that the only real big signing this year should be Hall - hopefully some young guys can be found to come in and help the team - Cerrato's team have got to get lucky with their free agents at some point :wink:

that link provided by 1niksder should be required reading at Redskins Park IMHO :up:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:36 am

1niksder wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Excellent article. If only we could get Vinny and Danny to buy into your plan.
Suck and Luck

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:15 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Excellent article. If only we could get Vinny and Danny to buy into your plan.

1nik for GM!

Hog

Postby BnGhog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:41 am

Personally I don't like that plan. I like parts.

Sure we need to get younger. And the way to do that is little by little. Not by blowing up the team and having almost all new guys in two years.

This team has a bond. And this team is a real "team". They play for each other.

If you guys take anything from the SB. Please take the fact that the best "Team" won. The team with the "Star WRs" did not. That’s because it’s not about Stars. The Steelers play for each other.

There is so much talk about grooming rookies on here, and I agree with that. But you can't groom them, when the old guys are gone.

James Harrison, (released by the Steelers how many time? Like 4 times) did not get to his skill level by them just drafting him and making him the starter. He learned from the guy in front of him.

If you do Blow up the team. Possibly Having some of these younger guys(like Cooley and Laron) getting pist at the team because their buddy got canned for no good reason(no good reason when they are buddy's anyway). So, then your saying you have rookies come in, being only taught by coaches, and some "young vets" who still can't believe the Danny let his buddies go.

That doesn’t create a good team spirit. It could take 4-5 years to get those guys to have anywhere close to the type of bond our guys have now. By then Zorn will be out the door, if he’s not already gone, and those guys will be old, time to blow it up again.

You can’t start fresh with young guys, you have to groom them. IMO. Let them work for a starting position. Getting younger will happen on its own in time as you do this.

You can have all the young guys with all the talent in the world, and you still would not win a SB, if they are not a Team. Just ask Dallas.
I firmly believe the Patriots are the antichrist.

swine

Postby Trample the Elderly » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:46 am

I'd love to blow it up. It would hurt more than it would help. There are a lot of coaches and GMs that would never touch this team because we can stick to a plan for more than a season or two. The dead cap would burn us heavily if we cut as many players as some suggest. If you want to play with nothing but rookies, undrafted rookies, and lose most of the season then I could see that. I could actually go for that. But . . . . who else would be able to stomach a 4-12 season?

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:30 pm

SkinsJock wrote:First of all, let me clarify that I presume "blowing a team up" is to basically get rid of everybody, good or bad and start from scratch. I am not sure that is a possibility, but, anything can happen I guess Cut everyone, they're all busts!

Agreed. That was my interpretation of it too.

I still firmly believe that the majority of our dramatic changes should happen on the offensive side of the ball.

I don't believe the much maligned defensive line is in need of any changes.

I don't think it will matter who they select, or pick-up in FA, the results will be the same. I think the D-line's problem is more about defensive scheme than an inability to sack the QB.

I think their priority is (as it was under Williams) containment moreso than pressure. Keep the QB in front of you, stop the run, disrupt the pass by getting your hands up, watch for the screen, etc.

I'd be more inclined to think otherwise, but we played great against the run, and that starts with the D-line.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Seriously?? Our defensive line is terrible. Our pass rush was non-existent this season and we don't have a single DT on our roster that can generate a push up the middle. OL and DL both need a serious overhaul.
Suck and Luck

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

Seriously?? Our defensive line is terrible. Our pass rush was non-existent this season and we don't have a single DT on our roster that can generate a push up the middle. OL and DL both need a serious overhaul.

Yeah, seriously.

It's no use arguing the point because even if they put stud, pro-bowl DTs in there, you'll get the same result, and then the shift will be to how much Cerrato sucks because he shouldn't have wasted money on those guys.

The fourth ranked defense was 7th against the pass, and 8th against the run. Not the kind of stats you would expect from a defensive line that "sucks".

Conversely, the 19th ranked offense was 23rd in passing due largely to the fact that they couldn't stop the rush...

Where do you think we should spend the most money?

Getting more sacks so we can move up from the fourth ranked defense to the third, or protecting the QB so we might break into the top 10 on offense?

I don't know about you, but I'd like to see our offense get more touchdowns (and win more games because we scored more than 10 points), than see more sacks on the opponents QB (and still watch us lose because we couldn't score more than 10 points).
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:13 pm

The defense is fine statistically but the fact is that we cannot seem to stop the other team when you have to, late in the game. I just feel we do need some help on the defensive line, not much, but a decent defense is able to get pressure from the inside and the perimeter, we cannot seem top do that consistently.

I do agree we have more needs on offense but both lines need attention and overall this team needs to get younger and develop our own talent.

We especially do not need to spend any serious money on anyone this season except to sign Hall - NOBODY!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Yeah, seriously.

It's no use arguing the point because even if they put stud, pro-bowl DTs in there, you'll get the same result, and then the shift will be to how much Cerrato sucks because he shouldn't have wasted money on those guys.

The fourth ranked defense was 7th against the pass, and 8th against the run. Not the kind of stats you would expect from a defensive line that "sucks".

Conversely, the 19th ranked offense was 23rd in passing due largely to the fact that they couldn't stop the rush...

Where do you think we should spend the most money?

Getting more sacks so we can move up from the fourth ranked defense to the third, or protecting the QB so we might break into the top 10 on offense?

I don't know about you, but I'd like to see our offense get more touchdowns (and win more games because we scored more than 10 points), than see more sacks on the opponents QB (and still watch us lose because we couldn't score more than 10 points).

First of all, nowhere in my post did I say that we don't need to improve the offensive line. We certainly do. Despite the ineptness of our FO, a team should be able to improve more than one area of a team in an off-season so it doesn't have to be an either/or type situation. Secondly, imo a good football team is built from the lines and both of our lines are not very good right now. Defensively we get no pressure on the qb which hurts us late in games and has a significant impact on our lack of turnovers. Like SkinsJock correctly pointed out, our defense had trouble stopping people late in games and I think that that is directly related to our poor line play.

You can also point to all the statistics that you want, but when I think of elite NFL defenses I certainly don't think of ours. I think of the Steelers, Ravens, and Titans, aggressive teams that get after the qb and force turnovers. We are not at that level and wont be until we can generate a consistent pass rush.
Suck and Luck

Return to General Manager's Office