Owners will implement rules changes but not to overtime

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
piggie

Owners will implement rules changes but not to overtime

Postby Cooter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:03 pm

The NFL's overtime procedures are expected to stay the same, but new rules designed to enhance player safety likely will be put in place for the 2009 season.

Those are among the highlights of what will be addressed -- along with big-picture items such as negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players Association -- during the NFL Annual Meeting scheduled to begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif., NFL.com has learned.

A source close to the NFL Competition Committee, which met last week in Naples, Fla., to discuss new rules proposals and other matters impacting the game's competitive structure, said the group is recommending to team owners that no changes be made to the current overtime system. Owners are expected to concur.

Some people within the league have suggested the team that wins the coin toss has an unfair advantage, prompting the committee to study the matter and consider revisions. Although there was no real possibility of the NFL adopting the college format that eliminates the kickoff and gives each team the ball from the opponent's 25-yard line, continuing play until there's a winner, the committee did review moving the kickoff from the 30- to the 35-yard line to help make the receiving team's field position less favorable.

However, according to the source, the committee was greatly persuaded by an emphatic opinion that players expressed through a league-wide survey that they didn't want any alterations to overtime (which, in the regular season, ends with the first score in the extra period or when the clock expires, resulting in a tie; for the postseason, teams continue to play 15-minute periods until the first score).

"The players just didn't want any fooling around with it at all," the source said.

Improving player safety is the primary motivation behind three recommendations that are expected to be approved in voting by all 32 team owners during the four-day meeting:

» A defender who hits a defenseless receiver in the head with his helmet or any part of his body will draw a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and be subject to a fine from the NFL. Call this "The Anquan Boldin Rule." The Arizona Cardinals' wide receiver suffered a fracture of a facial bone that required surgery after a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit from New York Jets safety Eric Smith last season. Smith wasn't penalized, but he did draw a $50,000 fine and one-game suspension from the league.

» If a pass rusher, who is blocked into the quarterback's legs or into the ground on the way to the quarterback, continues to run or drives forcefully into the player, he'll draw a 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty and be subject to a fine. Call this the "Tom Brady Rule." The New England Patriots' quarterback suffered a season-ending knee injury during the 2008 opener on a hit by Kansas City Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard, who claimed the contact happened by "accident" after he was blocked into Brady's leg. Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss disagreed, saying after the game the hit looked "dirty" to him.

» The "wedge," typically formed by the middle blockers on kickoff returns, might be outlawed because it has a long history of causing injuries.

In addition, the committee is recommending that instant replay -- which currently covers certain fumbles -- be expanded to include all fumble plays, including the "tuck rule," whereby a quarterback is deemed to have thrown an incomplete pass rather than fumbled if his arm is moving forward.

Read More

I wish they would've look at changing the structure of overtime games. In the 14 overtime games that produced a winner this season, the coin-toss victor won 10 of the games, more than 70 percent. Since 2002, the team that's gotten the toss has won more than 60 percent of overtime games.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Why not just put in a rule that says that once the ball is snapped, defenses must count to 3 Mississippi before moving. Additionally, they must loudly exclaim "mother may I?" prior to making physical contact with an opposing player.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby Cooter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:22 am

Countertrey wrote:Why not just put in a rule that says that once the ball is snapped, defenses must count to 3 Mississippi before moving. Additionally, they must loudly exclaim "mother may I?" prior to making physical contact with an opposing player.

There are definitely making this a nancy boy's game :(.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 am

I can see where it could be interpreted as the players' safety is their best interest, but these guys (such as Tom Brady and Anquan Boldin) are nicely compensated for essentially making a game their career. I realize that these guys are the elite in football skill, but damn, one upper tier contract and these guys, their kids, and grandkids should never have to work again. Even with injuries. I think that the reward far outweighs the known risk associated with being a professional football player in the NFL.

I agree, though, that dirty, intentionally injuring fellow players should be delt with harshly. Roy 'horse collar' Williams is a good example. I don't think that he was going out intentionally hurting people, but the fact of the matter was he was hurting people.

Ultimately, I'd like to see how the rule is implemented before I get my panties in a bunch.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Ultimately, I'd like to see how the rule is implemented before I get my panties in a bunch.

The league has a long history of hobbling defenses. If you want to see how the rules will go, just look there.

It's unfortunate that so many have never seen the game as it was played in the 50's, 60's and 70's. What we watch today is not the same game.

When Jerry Smith, Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor had 100 yard games...

you KNEW that they had earned it.

When Larry Brown ran for 1000 yards... You KNEW he had earned it.

It was brutal... but it was beautiful.

Younglings... you don't know what you don't know. :wink:

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:24 am

Countertrey wrote:

The league has a long history of hobbling defenses. If you want to see how the rules will go, just look there.

It's unfortunate that so many have never seen the game as it was played in the 50's, 60's and 70's. What we watch today is not the same game.

When Jerry Smith, Bobby Mitchell and Charley Taylor had 100 yard games...

you KNEW that they had earned it.

When Larry Brown ran for 1000 yards... You KNEW he had earned it.

It was brutal... but it was beautiful.

Younglings... you don't know what you don't know. :wink:

Hey pa, can I have an extra cookie? I promise to eat all my vegetables!!! :nana:
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:24 am

Younglings... :roll:

:wink:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Yard apes.

[size=0]Oops... I thought this was the word association thread. [/size]
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Football 101