RDE, LDE, Stron Side, Weak Side

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

RDE, LDE, Stron Side, Weak Side

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 am

Okay, when you say Left Defensive End are you talking about from the defenses position? I think at least some teams mean it this way. For instance, would the left defensive end be lining up near the left tackle or the right tackle (the defenses perspective on which way is left.)

Also, how does it work with defensive tackles? Which gap does Haynesworth play in and which does Griffin play in? Do they switch according to plays?

Lastly, and I think I have this one right, the weak side/strong side refers to which side the tight end (or in certain I formations the FB too) line up on. Is that right, or does one always line up on one side of the field. Didn't Lawrence Taylor always line up on the QB's blind side?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 am

I've always called it from defense's prespective. I know Madden '09 does too. I know this is a video game reference, but I would imagine they try to keep the references similar to the NFL.

As for DTs, I imagine that would have something to do with match-ups they want the ends to get. If you want to get Orakpo on a 1vs1, I would imagine that you wouldn't set him next to Haynesworth. You could wall that side off with 3-4 defenders vs those 2 and block by committee. I'm sure this can be better illustrated by someone with some more football experience than my Arm Chair GM experience, but that's my theory.

As for strong/weak, I think it refers to the TE. LT broke Theismann's leg from the weak side.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:11 am

Yeah, I think its from the defenses perspective but I wonder if different teams use different terminology.

I heard Casserly say the Skins planned to use Orakpo at RDE and the Redskins say LDE. Which side does Carter play on?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri May 01, 2009 9:17 am

To the way I call it, he's RDE/weak side.

I addressed that in a post when we drafted Orakpo... I think he should be playing strong side DE /LDE.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Yeah, I think its from the defenses perspective but I wonder if different teams use different terminology.

I heard Casserly say the Skins planned to use Orakpo at RDE and the Redskins say LDE. Which side does Carter play on?

Carter plays WSDE/RDE opposite the LT.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 am

So Carter's got the stronger LT but few doubleteams, and Orakpo will be playing the LDE spot opposite the RT but more TE help?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:So Carter's got the stronger LT but few doubleteams, and Orakpo will be playing the LDE spot opposite the RT but more TE help?

Yes. They said Orakpo might play some SLB on first and second downs, and then move up to play LDE on third down to rush the passer.

Hail to the Redskins!

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:So Carter's got the stronger LT but few doubleteams, and Orakpo will be playing the LDE spot opposite the RT but more TE help?

Yes. They said Orakpo might play some SLB on first and second downs, and then move up to play LDE on third down to rush the passer.

Unless we're going to a hybrid defense, keep that man a 4-3 DE. I think his skills are better used at DE.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 01, 2009 12:33 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Unless we're going to a hybrid defense, keep that man a 4-3 DE. I think his skills are better used at DE.

He's playing SSLB right now at minicamp.

Hail to the Redskins!

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri May 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I don't like it.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I don't like it.

I don't either. I really hope we don't misuse him. He is pure LDE pass rusher. He never played OLB at Texas. From what I hear he isn't a good drop back and cover guy, which is fine with me because the only thing I want him to do is get down on the line and rush the passer.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I don't like it.

I don't either. I really hope we don't misuse him. He is pure LDE pass rusher. He never played OLB at Texas. From what I hear he isn't a good drop back and cover guy, which is fine with me because the only thing I want him to do is get down on the line and rush the passer.

And what happens when there isn't a passer? Didn't he say he had played LB before? Did he mean in high school?

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri May 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I don't like it.

And what happens when there isn't a passer? Didn't he say he had played LB before? Did he mean in high school?

He must have. I was talking to a huge Texas fan today and I asked him if Orakpo ever played LB at Texas and he said no and that he wasn't a good cover guy. He is strong for his size so I don't think he will be bad against the run so he could play all 3 downs on the line. I guess it would be fine to give him a chance playing both, but I just think it would be a mistake to put him as LB/DE. I just think he is better as a pure DE. Just because a lot of guys come in now and play both it doesn't mean we have to force the issue trying to turn him into a hybrid player like Merriman and Ware.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Return to Football 101