Explain these recent signings....???

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Explain these recent signings....???

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks like the Skins are signing players here and there. But wait, many will be cut after the 53 man roster is put in place. What gives? Why are we signing? Are these temporary so other teams will not "take" them?

I simply don't understand this process..... can someone explain, please???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 am

We are allowed an 80 man roster right now. Some of these players are on the cusp, and may make the team. You never know, some guys get motivated by being given a shot. Others are just to provide a body to fill in during practice. And some are just not quite able to make the squad and will be cut as the team whittles down to the final 53 man roster. Everyone has a chance, though; it's just what they make of it.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 am

I knew about a guy who was invited to camp in Seattle as a DB. He was paid like $2500 per week to be there. Put up in a hotel, etc. The coaches don't look at tape most of the time, its all stats and recommendation from the scouting dept.

Teams bring guys in here to compete. Sometimes, a player sticks out like Heyer and you find someone. Its a gamble that teams take since there is no Development League yet. I don't think there will be as many guys once the UFL gets up and running b/c there will be more elite talent game tape to watch.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon May 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Frankie... I dont' even know what the UFL is all about :hmm:

So just to be straight...these are guys we "sign" to compete and release, cut, fire, let-go once we determine our 53 man roster....right?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Every team signs a dozen or more free agents or undrafted rookies to offer competition for the projected starters and to be the opposing team in drills. Players sign into these deals so that they can showcase their skills. Every once in a while, a standout emerges and lasts through the entire summer, and even winds up replacing someone once projected to be a third stringer or a backup...or a starter.
Other teams, too, get a chance to see these kids and unsigned vets during the preseason, and sometimes sign them for their own rosters or practice squads.
There's no misunderstanding when the signing is made. The players know they aren't competing for roster spots, but every once in a blue moon, a few latch on. It can be right at the start of the season, or when an injury occurs that forces an emergency signing.
Otherwise, once their purpose is filled, they go back to their day jobs, and wait for the phone to ring.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

it's one thing to invite guys to camp to try and uncover someone, but the Redskins already had 114 guys to start mini-camp which makes it nearly impossible to evaluate what they have. Adding players at this point seems odd when there's so many already.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:it's one thing to invite guys to camp to try and uncover someone, but the Redskins already had 114 guys to start mini-camp which makes it nearly impossible to evaluate what they have. Adding players at this point seems odd when there's so many already.

Maybe the don't like who's there right now and/or the want to evaluate more. I don't see what the problem is with it?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:the Redskins already had 114 guys to start mini-camp

Where did you come up with that number?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby yupchagee » Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:it's one thing to invite guys to camp to try and uncover someone, but the Redskins already had 114 guys to start mini-camp which makes it nearly impossible to evaluate what they have. Adding players at this point seems odd when there's so many already.

Maybe it would be better to have a mini camp just for rookies & tryout players.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Mon May 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Its the sport of kings, they will weed out the people who can not make it and belong elsewhere.
I read the skins site they have a great organizational perk for there players, it is a program that lets players who have been here get some help with there options after football like, education and careers after football help, things like that.
Marketing the team and getting the most out it and taking care of people
will not loose a football game.
I like the current state of the organization, there are good coaches some good leaders and alot of players at minicamp, it makes for a lot of good football alot of good looks.
I think Zorn may have alot to do with the amount of players there now. Can't wait until they suite up full pads.

Anybody remember Marty ball..... they broke out first day full pads and hit oklahomas on the first day full pads.
go skins
Last edited by redskins14ru on Mon May 04, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love watching and waiting to see what the hecks going on.
god blessed us with # 59 ... go skins
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:05 pm

redskins14ru wrote:its the sport of kings, they will weed out the people who can not make it and belong elsewhere, I read the skins site they have a great organizational perk for alot of players it is a program that lets players who have been here get some help with there options after football like education and work help things like that.
Marketing the team and getting the most out it. and taking care of people.
will not loose a football game.
I like the current stat of the organization, there are good coaches some good leaders and alot of players, at minicamp makes for a lot of good football alot of good looks. I think Zorn may have alot to do with the amount of players there now. Can't wait until they suite up full pads,

anybody remember Marty ball..... the broke out first day full pads and hit oklahomas on the first day full pads.
go skins

Did Marty do that in mini camp? I can't remember. I do remember him coming in like the General but not that. I always thought he was a real good coach. There was always this thing about him never winning the big one though. Look what he has done with his other teams that gave him time.

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 pm

ya I know, I am just thinking that Zorns a particulars type guy, maybe he wants a ton of bodies there, maybe, I just can't see any other reason for the amount of people there.... its a good motivational tool huh thats it motivation and team concept day at redskins park lol it should be a fun and productive summer.!!! :D
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Yes, I can see that. I also see it as desperstion when he knows we are lacking in certain areas. I do feel your enthusiasm. I believe Zorn can win with us. Maybe not this year but even that is possible :)

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:47 pm

I should have added that this is do or die for Zorn. He might be around next year and I hope he is and for many years but right now he is pulling no stops. He has to get everyone he can to fill gaps or holes.

Hog

Postby redskins14ru » Tue May 05, 2009 1:41 am

Zorn is going to field a pretty decent offense and the defense will be top 5 again, I would think they get some solid depth. A coach with a solid team in is second year, must be nice, I have seen 5 coaches here since 2000, I do not know how many years of experiance this years staff has but I did not blame or "fuss" not once about the coaches in 2008, Think about it Zorns been around the NFL since atleast 1984 thats a long time, I think he knows players and will give the skins a chance to get victories.
REDSKINS FOOTBALL RULES

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football