Counter Trey?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:09 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Gosh, seeing as how I've never seen this in action before it sounds like a pretty slow play to get working.

So the tackle, guard and center all block right, the halfback fakes right then heads left behind the left guard and tackel who are split out from the line and start lead blocking, then the halfback runs to daylight following the fullback or tight end? Whew, luckily we have skilled offensive line, a good blocking FB and with ANY luck we'll have a brilliant TE named Kellen Winslow Jr. :-)

Actually - the left guard and tackle pull right, swing outside of the right guard, tackle and TE. This essentially swings the line to the right (or left if run vice versa) while the second TE and the FB or WR cut off any backside pursuit coming through where the LG and LT vacated.

There are pics showing this that Boss probably has stashed somewhere.

One thing people don't get sometimes is that the counter trey is a good play, but it wasn't run as often as they think. Gibbs also played a lot of smashmouth football right over either guard or over center...

The worst part for opposing teams is that every time they thought they had the run stopped the Skins would grind out another first down. Made for some heartstopping moments, but by the end of the first half you could see these long, grinding drives wearing the opponents out. Gibbs would then adjust his tactics, running play action and counter trey plays when the opposition was looking inside in the second half.

He would also start the game passing sometimes because he knew he was getting hyped on the run game and that teams were gonna key on it... so he would throw a 40 yard strike right away to loosen up the 8 man box.

I loved watching it, because it was similar to a cobra lulling it's victim with the swaying motion... when the victim starts swaying the way the snake wants...pow

Beautiful.

Can you imagine Samuels and Dockery (all 670 pounds of 'em) catching linebackers and tossing them aside to clear the way for whichever rumored back we get (if we don't use Trung)? What a sight....
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby Thundersloth » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:50 am

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on counter trey aka counter gap.

Yes, counter plays take longer to develop than straight ahead plays.

Pulling more than one lineman you want to seal the playside defenders EXCEPT for the last guy on the line of scrimmage and the last backer to that side. The guard "KICKS OUT" that last guy on the line of scrimmage and the tackle comes to "CLEAN" through on the linebacker. So you get a seal with everyone blocking down (the guy inside of you) and the kick out block which is supposed to create an alley, then the tackle cleaning up what's left over. Sometimes the fullback is offset away from playside to fill for the pulling tackle to stop the backside pursuit plus it makes it look like ISO since the fullback and the halfback start off in the same direction, then the halfback follows the pullers on the opposite side.

What kills the play is if the down blocks are missed and there's penetration form the d-line. That could cause the guard to be obstructed form getting to the kickout block which in turn keeps the tackle from getting to the clean through block.
If you're mad at your kid, you can either raise him to be a nose tackle or send him out to play on the freeway. It's about the same. ~Bob Golic

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 am

Thundersloth wrote:I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on counter trey aka counter gap.

Yes, counter plays take longer to develop than straight ahead plays.

Pulling more than one lineman you want to seal the playside defenders EXCEPT for the last guy on the line of scrimmage and the last backer to that side. The guard "KICKS OUT" that last guy on the line of scrimmage and the tackle comes to "CLEAN" through on the linebacker. So you get a seal with everyone blocking down (the guy inside of you) and the kick out block which is supposed to create an alley, then the tackle cleaning up what's left over. Sometimes the fullback is offset away from playside to fill for the pulling tackle to stop the backside pursuit plus it makes it look like ISO since the fullback and the halfback start off in the same direction, then the halfback follows the pullers on the opposite side.

What kills the play is if the down blocks are missed and there's penetration form the d-line. That could cause the guard to be obstructed form getting to the kickout block which in turn keeps the tackle from getting to the clean through block.

Absolutely agree. The jab step by the RB also allows an aggressive defense a chance to partially overpursue the play, opening up a cutback lane.

Ahh, the old memories. 70 Chip, 50 Gut...good times.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

piglet

Postby butzadams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:52 am

"TREY" = A BLOCKING CALL where the TE & ON T double team on the Counter. If anyone wants to see Joe Bugel diagram the play AND see film cutups of it - order Bugel's DVD on the "Counter" from GILMAN GEAR (online).

Return to Football 101