Playbook Disclosure

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
The Punisher

Playbook Disclosure

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:58 am

I seem to remember hearing something about teams only being able to use a limited number of plays during a game.

For example, even though Saunders has a 700 page playbook, we can only bring 200 of those plays into an actual game each week.

Does anybody know if this is true, and if it is, who monitors this?

Hog

Re: Playbook Disclosure

Postby GSPODS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:11 am

Bob 0119 wrote:I seem to remember hearing something about teams only being able to use a limited number of plays during a game.

For example, even though Saunders has a 700 page playbook, we can only bring 200 of those plays into an actual game each week.

More likely would be that the players can only remember 200 plays. I've never read in the rulebook nor heard of any limitation on the number of plays available to a team on gameday.

JSPB22

Re: Playbook Disclosure

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:22 am

Bob 0119 wrote:I seem to remember hearing something about teams only being able to use a limited number of plays during a game.

I don't think there is a rule. But practically, how many offensive plays can one team run in a 60 minute game, even if they ran a different play on every snap?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:53 am

Yeah, it seemed stupid to me too, and I'm trying to remember where I heard it.

I'm thinking it was from an old interview with Gibbs where someone was asking him why we don't use more "trick plays", and I believe his response was that they were only allowed to have so many plays on game day.

I probably just misunderstood it, but I figured I'd ask...

Hog

Postby GSPODS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:56 am

Bob 0119 wrote:Yeah, it seemed stupid to me too, and I'm trying to remember where I heard it.

I'm thinking it was from an old interview with Gibbs where someone was asking him why we don't use more "trick plays", and I believe his response was that they were only allowed to have so many plays on game day.

I probably just misunderstood it, but I figured I'd ask...

No harm in asking. Nobody here knows everything but most of the members here know something and when all 5000 of us put our heads together, we are sometimes somewhat knowledgeable, at least in our own opinion. :lol:

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:14 pm

I believe I read that Saunders says he "700 page playbook" contains a reasonably small number of plays, but run from many formations to many spots. Much of the "700" is just terminology for the same play when run over LG as against run over RG.

piglet

Postby butzadams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

A) RUNNING GAME: The average NFL team calls only 24.4 RUNS a game. According to the NFL SURVEY (2005), a run play called LESS than 4 times per game tend to NOT be productive. THUS - if you call only 24 runs a game, & run EACH play 4 times - you do not need more than 6 RUNS. Joe Gibbs & Joe Bugel normally had only 5-6 runs that they stressed for each game.

B) PASSES: There will be more passes than runs in the game plan, because you need to have answers for the approximately 10 coverages used in the NFL. I heard Russ Grimm say that sometimes they took as many as 22 pass protections into a game (but they were all VARIATIONS of about THREE basic Redskins protections).

Return to Football 101