Bill Cosby makes a valid point in Brown v. Board speech

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Bill Cosby makes a valid point in Brown v. Board speech

Postby 1niksder » Tue May 25, 2004 10:08 pm

Cal Thomas

Bill Cosby is a lot of things — comedian, actor, educator and philosopher.
A few days ago at ceremonies in Washington marking the 50th anniversary of the Supreme Court decision known as Brown v. Board of Education, which ended mandated segregated schools in the United States, Cosby said things about the state of young black America that not many could get away with. Cosby can because he has put his money where his mouth is, donating millions to black colleges.
Reading Cosby’s remarks causes one’s jaw to drop. In an age when public figures often put their spoken or written words through the political correctness filter, Cosby was bluntly frank, excoriating black parents for failing to properly rear their children and saying they were the cause of high school dropout rates, crime and other social ills.
Here are a few sound bites as transcribed by Washington Post reporter Hamil Harris:
‘‘I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn’t know that he had a pistol? And where is the father?’’
‘‘... we cannot blame white people ...’’
‘‘People putting their clothes on backward: Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong? ...

Most Celebs couldn't get away with saying this. But I'm glad it was said by someone of his statue.. Barkley said pretty much the same thing but who's gonna listen to him

http://www.citizenonline.net/citizen/ar ... 1FFF17.asp

He talked for about 25 mins ....I hope it makes people think

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 26, 2004 5:20 pm

‘‘I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn’t know that he had a pistol? And where is the father?’’
‘‘... we cannot blame white people ...’’
‘‘People putting their clothes on backward: Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong? ...

Good, Im extremely glad he said that because it needed to be put out there. I don't know if he considers himself a "black leader" but if anyone is he is. I don't particulary care for any of them, they only worry about the city budget anyway.

When it comes down to the bone its the job of the parents to raise these kids. But a trend got set long ago of kids having children too early ie. babies having babies. The whole meaning behind marriage has been lost. A lot of people get married for the wrong reasons. All of these single parent homes, it takes two parents IMO to raise a child. I think having two parents helps to keep balance within the household. Sometimes things happen, but even if you divorce u need to play an active role in that kids life, sadly that doesn't happen. Its not the Govt. or the teachers job to raise the kids, its the parents.

BUT here in Baltimore our Govt is screwing the youth. They close countless libraries, rec centers, YMCA's etc. etc. Every summer. Those things were put in place to give disadvantaged children a place to escape the drugs and violence. They take those things away and they're forcing these kids to stay on the block. They're forcing them to be around the violence and drugs. They're making it 10xs harder for these kids. I feel sorry for them. We contiunally build up downtown and the harbor. We build stadiums and destroy them. But we can't keep a REC CENTER OPEN FOR THE KIDS!

:evil:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed May 26, 2004 6:11 pm

Dr. Cosby has come a long way from Tawana Brawley, hasn't he ?
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Return to The Lounge