Caps Today and Game Notes for @ Boston

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Caps Today and Game Notes for @ Boston

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 am

Today’s Storyline

Going Green – Capitals defenseman Mike Green was a revelation a year ago, scoring twice on opening night to kick-start a record-setting season. Tonight he and the Capitals face off against the only defenseman to garner more Norris Trophy votes than Green, Boston ’s Zdeno Chara. Despite his overwhelming offensive performance, Green appears to still have something to prove – ESPN.com surveyed six experts who named four other defensemen as favorites for the Norris this year. Add in the chance to represent his country at the 2010 Olympics and Green truly has an opportunity to grab the spotlight even more in 2009-10.

NOTE OF THE NIGHT

Start at the top – The top two teams in the Eastern Conference in 2008-09 square off to open the 2009-10 season. These two teams combined for four of the six members of the NHL First All-Star Team last season (Zdeno Chara, Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and Tim Thomas) as well as the top two finishers in the Norris Trophy voting (Chara and Green).

FIVE MORE NOTES NO MEDIA PERSON SHOULD BE WITHOUT

Get it started – Washington is an even .500 in season openers in the club's history (16-16-2) as it starts its 35th season. The Capitals have only faced the Bruins once in a season opener, a 4-3 Boston win on Oct. 8, 1987. Washington is 5-11-2 overall when opening the season on the road and is starting on the road for the fourth season in a row.

Jump start – This matches the earliest start in Capitals history; Washington opened on Oct. 1 once before, winning 4-1 at Toronto in 1997.

Intros needed – Washington 's two significant free agent acquisitions, Mike Knuble and Brendan Morrison, should make their Capitals debuts tonight. Knuble and Morrison have been teammates before at the University of Michigan and with Linkopings in Sweden in 2004-05. Four players – left wings Boyd Kane and Quintin Laing, defenseman Tyler Sloan and goaltender Semyon Varlamov – have made an NHL opening-night roster for the first time in their careers.

Familiar faces – Washington's top five point scorers and top six goal scorers from last season are on the opening-night roster, as are seven of the top eight defensemen (by games played) and the top two goaltenders.

Popular guys – Each of Washington 's first three games are televised nationally in either the U.S. (tonight and Tuesday, VERSUS) or Canada (Saturday, CBC).
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:22 am

I can't rock the red at work, but I brought my Laich jersey and old school logo hat for school tonight! GO CAPS!!!!!
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:10 am

Sir_Monk wrote:I can't rock the red at work, but I brought my Laich jersey and old school logo hat for school tonight! GO CAPS!!!!!

:lol:

Sometimes, my job is lucky that way.

Got my red Ovie on.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Anyone know where I can watch the game tonight? Vs. is blacked out on DirecTV
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:07 am

MDSKINSFAN wrote:Anyone know where I can watch the game tonight? Vs. is blacked out on DirecTV

I felt your pain. I missed the game as well

It was good to see Brooks Laich and Alex Ovechkin both get two goals, and the Caps pick up right where they left off!

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:Anyone know where I can watch the game tonight? Vs. is blacked out on DirecTV

I felt your pain. I missed the game as well

It was good to see Brooks Laich and Alex Ovechkin both get two goals, and the Caps pick up right where they left off!

I know. I was so happy I got out of class early and was going to get to see the whole game and then there was no VS. But I was pumped looking at the gamecast on ESPN.com and seeing us up 4-0 at one point. This team and Ovi have picked up where they left off. Can't wait to watch this season
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice to see Laich get the first goal of the year. Like everyone else, I was without the game because of the DTV thing. I really hope they get that settled come playoff time or that will really screw a lot of fans, even hometown folks, I would imagine if the game was on VS. Maybe DTV can figure out a way to broadcast the Canadian feed?
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Return to Washington Sports Teams