Olie Kolzig retires as a Free Agent

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Olie Kolzig retires as a Free Agent

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:08 am

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... 8128_x.htm

USA Today wrote:Veteran goalie Kolzig retiring after 14 seasons
Posted 16m ago

TORONTO (AP) — Veteran goaltender Olaf Kolzig is retiring after 14 seasons in the NHL.

The 39-year-old former Vezina Trophy winner -- known as "Olie the Goalie" -- spent most of his career with the Washington Capitals.

He says he plans to spend time with his family but wants to remain involved in hockey.

His 303 career wins rank 21st in the NHL. He finishes his career with a 2.71 goals-against average and a .906 save percentage. He posted 35 shutouts in 719 games.

Kolzig was a free agent. His retirement was announced Wednesday by the NHL Players' Association.

I also recieved this from Caps PR via Twitter

Ted Leonsis wrote:
“Olie was the face of the Capitals franchise for years, on the ice, in the locker room and around Washington , D.C. He was a great Capital and the organization and our fans will always have fond memories of ‘Olie the Goalie.’ We wish him and his wonderful family all the best in his retirement.”

Caps PR wrote:Kolzig retires with a number of Capitals goaltending records, including:

- Career games played (711), minutes (41,259), wins (301), save percentage (.906), saves (18,013) and shutouts (35)

- Single season games played (73, 1999-00), minutes (4,371, 1999-00), wins (41, 1999-00) and save percentage (.920, 1997-98)

It's a shame that he couldn't heal the bad feelings of last year, and sign a one day contract to retire as a Washington Capital.

Thank you Olie! Best of luck in retirement!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:29 pm

More from Ted Leonsis

Leonsis wrote:
Olie the Goalie Retires

He will be missed. Olie Kolzig was the most competitive person I know. He cared deeply about the team; his community; and his family. He was and is a class act and he is one of my favorite athletes of all time.

He was the greatest goaltender to date in our franchise’s history; a winner of a Vezina Trophy; and he took us to our lone Stanley Cup Final.

I respect Olie and consider him a friend.

In an odd way, I am happy that he only played in about ten games in a jersey that didn’t say Washington Capitals. He was and will always be considered a Cap.

I am sure Olie will be a huge success in retirement as well. He can do whatever he puts his heart, head and passion into. He is a man of great talent and integrity.

Olie! Olie! Olie!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Retire his number. Have a big "thank you, Olie" party the arena.

I'll never forget a stop he made during the Stanley Cup run. I was visiting DC for a week so I went to MCI. Got a free ticket so they could fill the place. Ticket was just above Olie's left shoulder during two periods.

There was a hard shot, a scramble at the Caps net, Olie stretched to his right, down on his right knee, and the puck crawls over the line. Almost but not quite entirely over, because Olie planted his left skate-point on the puck, pinning it before it completely crossed.

Olie!!

piglet

Postby flask1nsfan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 pm

welch wrote:Retire his number. Have a big "thank you, Olie" party the arena.

I'll never forget a stop he made during the Stanley Cup run. I was visiting DC for a week so I went to MCI. Got a free ticket so they could fill the place. Ticket was just above Olie's left shoulder during two periods.

There was a hard shot, a scramble at the Caps net, Olie stretched to his right, down on his right knee, and the puck crawls over the line. Almost but not quite entirely over, because Olie planted his left skate-point on the puck, pinning it before it completely crossed.

Olie!!

I was at that game and remb that save as well. He was a great player but it was time for him to pack it in. I think he would make a great goalie coach at some level either AHL or NHL.

Return to Washington Sports Teams