Hey! We Just Might Get What We Want After All!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Hey! We Just Might Get What We Want After All!

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:56 pm

New From The Post
Spurrier Considering Re-Signing Wuerffel

By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 23, 2003; 1:50 PM

The Washington Redskins are considering re-signing quarterback Danny Wuerffel, Coach Steve Spurrier said today.

"We'll see if that's a possibility or not," Spurrier said today at Redskins Park following his team's final practice of its bye week. "I don't know if it's going to happen or not, but it could. It could or it could not. It's as simple as that."

The club released veteran quarterback Rob Johnson, who was signed in the offseason to back up starter Patrick Ramsey, on Wednesday and signed Tim Hasselbeck. Currently, Ramsey and Hasselbeck are the only two quarterbacks on the Redskins' 53-man roster. The team has rookie quarterback Gibran Hamdan on its five-member practice squad.

The Redskins signed Wuerffel during training camp but released him just before the season over Spurrier's objection.

"If we believe that we need Danny here, we'll certainly try to get him here," Spurrier said. "I don't know if Danny wants to come. His wife is pregnant and expecting a baby real soon. He may be set doing what he's doing in his ministry down in New Orleans. So I don't know if he wants to come back or not, but it may be something we want to explore as far as having a guy who's played in the system in case something happens to Patrick. We'll explore it, but I don't know if it will work out or not. We'll just have to wait and see."

Wuerffel won a Heisman Trophy and a national championship while playing for Spurrier at the University of Florida, and shared the Redskins' starting job last season with Ramsey and Shane Matthews in Spurrier's first season as an NFL coach.

Spurrier said it also is possible that the Redskins, if they don't sign Wuerffel, could promote Hamdan -- a seventh-round draft choice last spring out of Indiana -- to the 53-man roster and make him Ramsey's primary backup.

"Gibran has been with us a long time," Spurrier said. "If he's better equipped to be No. 2, he could be it. There's a possibility. We just have to see where we are starting Monday and go from there."

Spurrier gave his players Friday through Sunday off. They are scheduled to return to Redskins Park on Monday to prepare for the team's game at Dallas on Nov. 2. The Redskins have lost three straight games to drop their record to 3-4.

Ramsey has been sacked 22 times this season and failed to finish each of the Redskins' last two games. He was knocked from Sunday's 24-7 loss at Buffalo, suffering from a bruised right (throwing) hand and a bruised right hip. But he practiced the past two days and said he will have no problems getting ready to face the Cowboys.

"Patrick is our guy," Spurrier said. "He's healthy. He's ready to go. Like before, we need to keep him healthy. We need to protect better all the way around and let him go play."

Hasselbeck never has thrown a regular season pass in the NFL after entering the league as an undrafted free agent out of Boston College in 2001. He split last season between the Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers, and injuries left him second on each team's depth chart temporarily. He was released by the Eagles in August.

"We just thought we upgraded our team at the quarterback position," Spurrier said of the decision to release Johnson and add Hasselbeck. "That was the reason . . . . We thought eventually he could play a little bit better than Rob. It's as simple as that . . . . We just thought it was time to move in another direction at that position. We thought Tim was a good young man who could throw. He's a smart young man. We'll give him a chance."

Johnson said Wednesday he never felt that he connected with Spurrier. He also never seemed comfortable with Spurrier's offensive system. With Hasselbeck, Spurrier has more of a clean slate.

"Obviously older, veteran players are sort of stuck in the habits they have," Spurrier said. "Sometimes it's easier to work with younger guys."

Hasselbeck, the son of former NFL tight end Don Hasselbeck and the brother of Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, had his first practice with the Redskins today. He said his crash course on Spurrier's offensive system will continue while his new teammates are away this weekend.

"This isn't a bye week for me," he said. "But I've had eight bye weeks already. I don't need one like these guys do . . . . I remember when [Spurrier] was coaching in college, I said, 'I don't know if I could play in that system, being pulled in and out like that.' But since I've been here, he's made me feel very comfortable and made me feel like he can work with me and make me a better quarterback."

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:55 pm

Nooooo !!! Please God No. I can't take another season like this, Joe Gibbs if your reading, come back we will all pay for your salary !!!!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:37 pm

You know... Hasselbeck was a tough QB out of BC - he did pretty good there for the lack of talent around him...
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football