Caps Today and Game Notes for vs Columbus

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Caps Today and Game Notes for vs Columbus

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Today’s Storyline

Shining with the Capitals – Brendan Morrison’s nine points (four goals, five assists) in 13 games is the centerman’s most points to start a season since the 2005-06 season when he was with Vancouver . Last season, the 34 year old didn’t record his fourth goal until the 30th game of the season and recorded his ninth point in his 34th game of the season.

NOTE OF THE NIGHT

Blank stare – Washington enters tonight’s game having been held scoreless for 120 straight minutes by Columbus , since a 4-3 overtime win on Feb. 5, 2008. Chris Mason stopped 71 Capitals shots in two 3-0 wins last season. Before last season Alex Ovechkin had scored two goals in each of his two games against the Blue Jackets, including his NHL debut in 2005.

FIVE MORE NOTES NO MEDIA PERSON SHOULD BE WITHOUT

Ovi in October –Alex Ovechkin finished October with 14 goals, tied for the most he has scored in any month in his career (March 2008). Entering Saturday’s games he had 40% more goals and 60% more shots than anyone else in the NHL. Ovechkin, who matched Mario Lemieux’s NHL record with six two-goal games in October, has scored the first goal of a game four times, most in the league.

Another great 8 –Mike Green has points in eight straight games (2g-8a); only Tampa Bay ’s Martin St. Louis (10 games) has a longer streak this season. It matches the longest point streak in Green’s career, previously set in his record-setting eight-game goal streak last season. After posting two points in his first five games, Green now ranks tied for third in scoring by a defenseman with 12 points in 13 games and leads all defensemen in shots on goal.

In a Flash –Tomas Fleischmann scored twice Friday night in just his second game of the season after recovering from a blood clot in his leg. A 19-goal scorer last season, Fleischmann entered this year with two two-goal games to his credit. He is the fifth Capital to record a two-goal game this season.

Innocent men –The Capitals have taken two or three minor penalties in three of their last four games.

Power surge – Washington is 5-for-15 (33%) on the power play in its last three games after producing at 16.7% through 10 games. The Capitals have scored two power-play goals in each of the last two games, the first times since the season opener.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:14 am

Any word on how bad Ovechkin is hurt?
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:Any word on how bad Ovechkin is hurt?

I recieved this from the Caps last night

Nate Ewell, Sr. Director of Media Relations wrote:
Alex Ovechkin suffered an upper-body injury in the 2nd period and is day-to-day. The Capitals have a day off tomorrow so the soonest we will have an update on his status is Tuesday.

“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:

Alex Ovechkin suffered an upper-body injury in the 2nd period and is day-to-day. The Capitals have a day off tomorrow so the soonest we will have an update on his status is Tuesday.

AHHH! the sky is falling!
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:43 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:
Bob 0119 wrote:

AHHH! the sky is falling!

:lol:

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm kind of salty we just lost the last two but I know its super early. 8 wins and 20points.. LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Oh folks, I'm in PA again for my job.. yep, technically its smeagel area and flyers area. I came in this morning and told my co-worker, hey, my skins can't do it but ha!!!, my caps beat ya'll!!! He gave me the finger and said wait till playoffs. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Washington Sports Teams