Quick passes early, will stop the blitzes!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
~~~~

Quick passes early, will stop the blitzes!

Postby ANT7088 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:58 pm

Last year we didn't have the players to make Spurrier's system work, this year we do, and he's not using his system. He needs to find a way to make his system work (in the NFL) instead of trying to change it. I was sick last week against buffalo when it was third dowm and Betts ran the ball and got stuffed. We need to throw it, even if the passes are short. Everyone is gonna blitz us, so get the RBs, FBs, & TEs on short passes to exploit it, then when they expect the dump-off, hit Coles or Gardner for a deep one. I can figure this out, why hasn't Spurrier. He has to get the ball out of Ramsey's hand quick early in the game and I think that will end up getting him more time to throw later in the game. They will STOP blitzing if they think that hes not gonna have the ball long enough for them to get near him.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:48 am

This is So true. Last year we had to dump off passes because of lack of speed and now that we have speed SOS wants everysingle play to be a great play. :roll:
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:55 am

SOS said in today's post or times article that he was going to go back to 'his offensive style'.

That gives Ramsey about a week to live, doesn't it?
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:52 am

I read the same articel BH and it sorta surprised me. Let's hope that blocking becomes part of the plan or like you said, Patrick is toast.

How'd you like to be the backup QB - "Hell no I don't want to go in!"
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Hog

Need to establish a run game

Postby skins75 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:57 am

I agree that we need to continue and extend upon throwing short passes to Coles. But we need to include Patrick Johnson into the mix a little bit more. He has incredible speed and I'd like to see some nice RAC's from a former track star. But the way to make a blitz unsuccessful is by establishing a run game. If the run game is effective they will think twice before sending LB's or DB's. On another note I am looking forward to seeing Sultan getting a few snaps. He really looked nice in Pre Season. Thats not to say that Morton didnt look good last week. He was the only highlight in an otherwise disgusting game.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:26 am

Thats not to say that Morton didnt look good last week. He was the only highlight in an otherwise disgusting game.

I agree that we need to get the running game going to break down the blitz, and Morton has to be a part of it for two reasons:

1) he's a game-breaker. Give him some reps, eventually he'll bust a huge one out of nothing. He has dynamite quickness and will disappear completely running behind JJ and Thomas.

2) we need his RECEIVING ability. How is he gonna ever catch a ball out of the backfield if the ONLY time he comes in is on passing plays? Obviously the defense is going to key on him. He needs to get reps running the ball so he's not so noticeable on passing situations IMO.

As for Sultan... with all the adjustments we've had to make to the roster just to keep him on it... I hope he can play, and play well.

Cliff Russell looked dynamite at camp too, but where's he?

Hog

Postby skins75 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:34 am

You are right BH. Morton adds a dimension that Trung was supposed to bring. Speed combined with the ability to catch out of the backfield. I hope Morton gets his chance in Dallas.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:59 am

I think Morton will get his chance....but can he take the punishment? I hope so. The pukes will bring the hits on him and P-Ram. Our o-line better learn to protect the passer quickly and learn how to finish their pass protection of P-Ram will get abused by their front four. Our receivers and backs will also take a pounding from the puke safties and speedy LBs.....be ready for a long day. Stinky tuna will have those guys prepared regardless of what happens this weekend. In fact, it would probably be in our best interest if the pukes upset the bucs and come in to our matchup over confident. But of course, I don't want to see them win for dozens of other reasons.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:34 pm

If SS goes back to his style, doesn't that mean the short crosses, slants, ins and outs that he ran at Florida? Maybe he was trying to run a running offense that was getting stuffed and now wants to go back to the quick hitters, the flat passes and such that kept the U of F QBs on their feet?

One can only hope!
Rich in Roanoke

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:18 pm

that kept the U of F QBs on their feet?

With college defenses.

It was ugly last year when he tried to pure Fun 'N gun... we'll see how much of a diffrence a year and Coles can make.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:21 pm

We had receivers that ran like their feet were stuck in clay... I hope I am right and you are wrong on this one.

If teams see us in a 3 wr formation that never changes and we dink em with the passing, stretch the field occasionally and then run in between the passes, they won't be as sure what to do.

I just want Steve to write on the blackboard 1000 times "I won't throw any more screens for a game or two"
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:11 pm

BossHog wrote:That gives Ramsey about a week to live, doesn't it?

Seems like this will be the case. I have been wondering why we don't air it out for Coles to make a 60 Yd play on more. I would like to see that happen a lot more but with no pass protection it will not happen.

I've been patient and will continue to be.....but if Ramsey gets put out-out....not just these scrapes and missed the probowl because of it....

I'ma :explode:

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:48 am

speek wrote:
How'd you like to be the backup QB - "Hell no I don't want to go in!"

ROTFALMAO
awesome, thats the funniest thing i've heard in a week.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

in the Cheap Seats

Postby Wingman » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:02 pm

Boys- It all starts with those meateaters up front. If they and the tight ends/backs cant handle the blitzes we might as well have me back there. At least I would carry brass knucks and a blade or two. That way at the bottom of the pile I could be dealing out some damage of my own to those putred starheads...
The Wingman in the Cheap Seats

"If you arent doing something to help the team, you are hurting it."

"No one rises to low expectations" -McQ

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football