What to do with $3.5 million

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Pursuer of Justice

What to do with $3.5 million

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:38 pm

So....Big Daddy is gone and that opens up $3.5 million in cap space, huh? :-k

Not sure what to do with that money?..... :hmm:

Use the $3.5 million of new found $$$$ to make Champ Bailey an offer he can't refuse!!! :up:

Just my My 2 cents
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:29 am

Lock up Bailey, and Arrington. Use whatever is left to sign a decent DT. If there aren't any DT's worth the money then save it. Use one of the younger guys who usually wouldn't get a chance, plug him in there, and just ride with it. Wait till next year, and draft someone.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:42 pm

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports Washington Redskins officials said they plan to use the $3.5 million they saved by releasing defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson on deals for other players. Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey is entering the final season of his contract and is awaiting an offer on an extension from the team. "You only have so much money and so much (salary) cap space," said Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations. "For us to be able to do things in the future with other people's contracts, we couldn't afford to pay Dan Wilkinson $3.5 million. This enables us to take that money and sign guys we have coming up. Champ would definitely be in that category."

Is Cerrato reading THEHOGS.NET message boards, too? COOL! =D>
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

piglet

Postby OhioSkinsFan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:23 pm

Thanks for the quote VentingHog. I agree 115% that we have to resign Champ Bailey. What a perfect time to free up some cap space just for that.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:22 am

Are we forgetting the cap penalty. The skins do not get the entire salary freedup because they released him. I'm not sure how much of a penalty, but one thing that I am sure of is that I won't get pissed at a player for holding out in the future. Dan Snyder MUST GO for this team to have any shot at success.
it is what it is

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:30 am

You think we should have payed him 3.5 million for his actions? I'm sorry but IMO all he has done is just take room. Besides just taking up a couple of men, a DT needs to provide penetration, he didn't provide that enough to warrant his salary.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:17 am

What I am saying is the brain trust should have prepared for this possible outcome and draft a DL or KEPT Daryl Gardner. It is no secret that big daddy is a first round big bust, but the skins needed to get better on the DL because you can't win if you can't stop the run. I don't think there is a bigger skins fan but I'm nervous about this season. I can't stand snyder. As cheap as they are, I wish we had ownership like philly.
it is what it is

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:06 am

I don't think stopping the run will be a problem. Brandon noble will fill that role well. Jeremiah Trotter looks fully recovered too.

It's pass rush I'm worried about.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:08 pm

I'm thinking our run defense will not be all that good. If it is, it will be because Trotter has had a pro-bowl calibur year. I don't see the Dline doing much to stop the run, but really, I didn't think Wilkinson would have helped much. Gardner was the guy that improved our run defense from 20th to 12th.

Postby Terry » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:04 pm

Are we forgetting the cap penalty. The skins do not get the entire salary freedup because they released him. I'm not sure how much of a penalty,

Wilkinson's cap hit this year was his $3.5M salary PLUS the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, around $1.77M I believe. His total cap hit was around $5.3M.

By releasing him, we do save all the $3.5M, but still have the cap hit of $1.77M counting against the 2003 cap. And all his remaining bonus accrues next season, so we'll have a dead cap hit for him of around $4M, as I recall.

Postby Air_Force_4_10 » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:02 am

"It's pass rush I'm worried about."

What if we were to move Wynn inside and run a rotation of B. Smith, L. Jackson and G. Scott at the end opposite Upshaw. This would free up Haley and Holsey for the rotational usage that they are best suited for while providing conatinment from the end as well as a push from Wynn and a fresh end on passing downs.
The O-Line is the true key.

Postby Terry » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:17 am

Well, unless we get another player from someplace, some combination of those guys are gonna have to do the job. And don't forget Bernard Jackson. He got a sack for us lat year in a minor ssub role, and he's up around 300 lbs now. Him, Ladarius, Greg Scott, and Cowsette are all guys in their put up or shut up season. Surely one of them is ready to grab a major contributing role. Maybe not a Dexter Manley, but at least a Jumpy Geathers.

And despite Edwards wanting to use Lavar more in the open, I don't see how we can not use our best pass rusher. I'm not saying line him up as a DE in a 3 point stance for every pass (although I think he'd be very good that way), but as a stand up DE, roataing either end, or as part of a zone blitz, stunting with the other DL, or even on the hip of Bruce or Upshaw (especially on the left side). We can't walk away from 11 sacks.

Folks say that the he couldn't absorb the punishment. But plenty of 3-4 linebackers do, and so did Ken Harvey. I don't see why Lavar can't do what they did.

Postby hildawg » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:52 pm

definatly need to lock up bailey and Arrington, also need to work an extension for Samules either this year or next.
pain goes away, but pride last forever.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football