Question About QB Position...

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:50 pm

WshSkins22 wrote:^^ its also not accurately 60 yards I cant hit a targer 60 yards away.

Mark? Is that you? I can not believe the first part. But I believe the second part.

WshSkins22 wrote:If I threw 10 passes my average would be around 50, but its once in a blue moon I can throw it 60

50/50? Rod? Is that you? Is 60% not stretching the truth? :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:18 am

Arm strength CAN really help throw deep outs and such. Arm strength doesn't help as much deep as it does mid range near the sideline or in between two defenders playing the middle of the field.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:59 am

Bill Walsh sometime said that their offense with the 49´s was so good because Joe Montana always delivered the ball where it could be catched.

With that in mind maybe arm strengh is a bit overvalued (see Jeff George).

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Maybe we need to be more precise about "arm-strength".

Do we mean pure muscle?

I don't think its key, since the throwing motion depends so much on the whipping motion of your body. The extra acceleration that boosts speed. That's one reason why 6-4 Norman Snead could throw a ball about 100 yards. He could knock down a brick wall at 10 yards, or, unluckily, a receiver.

Snead was tall for his day. Maybe only Roman Gabriel had the same build (6-4, 220 pounds...unheard of...).

For a baseball comparison, Walter Johnson had very long arms.

So, if you have technique, sure, you might well out-throw the QB's on your school team.

Hog

Postby ArizonaHOG » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 am

Does it really matter how far a QB can throw the ball if no one is there to catch it? Arm strength is important for some throws (the deep out, quick slant), but accuracy is equally important. Decision-making in terms of how and when to throw the ball is an important variable that must be considered, as well. Field vision and recognition of defensive schemes allow a QB to make quick, good decisions with the ball. Arm strentgh and accuracy allow the QB to get the ball where it needs to be.

Hail!!
Beat Dallas!!!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:38 am

Arm strength? Vision? Technique? Receivers?

Baloney.

Everyone knows...

It's gotta be the shoes!!!

Back and better than ever!

Postby vicsportsaddict » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 am

You can really see arm strength on display under the rush though. As an example, Favre can get the ball to a RB in the flat off his back foot quicker, allowing the player to catch the ball and possibly even make a move while a weak-armed QB like Brunell (just using him for example, not trying to start a flame war) would likely get the RB stopped in his tracks. The fraction a second difference it takes the ball to arrive can mean the difference between no gain and who knows how many yards if te RB braks the initial tackle.

piglet

Postby butzadams » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am

From the "FATHER" of the Modern Pro Passing Game - HOF Coach Sid Gillman"

SID GILLMAN PASSING GAME THOUGHTS

TIMING OF PASS:
1. The timing of the delivery is essential. It is the single most important item to successful passing.
2. Each route has it’s own distinct timing. As routes and patterns are developed on the field, the exact point of delivery will be emphasized.
3. Take mental notes on the field on timing of the throw.
4. If you cannot co-ordinate eye and arm to get the ball at it’s intended spot properly and on time, you are not a passer.
5. Keeping the ball in both hands and chest high is part of the answer.
6. Generally speaking, the proper timing of any pass is putting the ball in the air before, or as the receiver goes into his final break.
7. If you wait until the receiver is well into his final move, you are too late.

THIS is what it takes to be a successful QB!

piglet

Postby butzadams » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Jim Zorn talks about Jason Campbell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAlyHvpv2k

piglet

Postby butzadams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Collins needs to play!!

piglet

Re: Question About QB Position...

Postby j05h » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Clinton Portis wrote:Is it true, do you have to have a really strong arm to throw a deep ball, or is it all about Technique and how you throw it?

I was just wondering, because sometimes people say "so and so has no arm" and then they throw a 60 yard bomb to someone in a game.

So is it Technique, or Arm Strength?

It's a bit of both. Sure, with a strong arm you can throw a ball deep but you'll need technique and accuracy in order to give it to someone.

**LPJ**

Re: Question About QB Position...

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 am

j05h wrote:
Clinton Portis wrote:Is it true, do you have to have a really strong arm to throw a deep ball, or is it all about Technique and how you throw it?

I was just wondering, because sometimes people say "so and so has no arm" and then they throw a 60 yard bomb to someone in a game.

So is it Technique, or Arm Strength?

It's a bit of both. Sure, with a strong arm you can throw a ball deep but you'll need technique and accuracy in order to give it to someone.

I.E.. Mr. Brees
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I do not think it's technique. You either have a strong arm or you don't. I have great technique throwing a baseball and football, but can't get the thing to go nearly as far as some others I know. Hell, look at some of the pro's. I'm sure you can come up with many who had great technique but didn't have any zip on the ball. I can't name any but I'm thinking most of the 90's U. of Florida QB's.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:32 am

welch wrote: .... For power and distance, I think that technique counts more than .... arm strength, or, rather, that what we see as arm strength is long arm, large hands, and looseness, or snap, at each of the joints involved in throwing. The arm is used like a whip -- shoulder, elbow, wrist, and fingers -- each joint adding acceleration to the ball.

My hunch is that the best QB's are guys who can see and "think" and throw a bit quicker than the game that's being played around them. They can see a defense and sense that a receiver is about to come open without going through a "top of the brain" reasoning process. A shortcut from their eyes through their brain to their arm, saying, "that receiver now".

I think welch sums it up pretty well :wink:

on a slightly different tangent: for an NFL team's offense to be consistently competitive, all the other aspects have to work together - the preparation and game planning, the play calling, the offensive line, the RBs, the receivers need to be in sync - just my opinion but for the most part there is too much blame put on the QB for lack of success by the offense - but, that's why they get the big bucks :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 am

Redskins4Life wrote:
WshSkins22 wrote:NO, it has nothing to do with it. Im 16, and Im a skinny guy( I still play fball for my highschool), but the point it, My arms arent huge, but I can throw way farter than my qb, I can throw a football about 55-60 yards and im only like 16, it is ALL about technique and practice believe me, I used to suck at throwing. Get out there and throw a football for 15-20 minutes each day, work on techinique make sure you use your whole body step into it, and you will be able to throw far

I think youre underestimating how much 60 yards really is guy

I can't do it anymore but I threw an NFL ball 65 on the fly at age 20. I had a big running start and it was from a line I ran across after release to where it hit the ground. I can still go 45.

I saw Luck throw 75 just stepping into it into a gentle breeze.

I'm sure I could go 50 if I did some lifting and threw a lot.

It is overstating the case to say strength has nothing to do with it. All other things being equal a stronger guy will throw it farther.

Like golf, distance is more about technique - but strength matters. Tom Watson is pretty small but I bet his hands and forearms are way stronger than most of ours.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Football 101