Caps Today and Game Notes for @ NY Islanders

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Caps Today and Game Notes for @ NY Islanders

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 am

Today’s Storyline

The Great 28 – Alexander Semin has been on fire for the greater part of the last two months. In 24 games since returning from injury, Semin has 32 points (12 goals, 20 assists) with a +16 rating. Semin helped the Capitals get off to a flying start the last time they faced the New York Islanders on Nov. 11, tying Gaeten Duchesne’s franchise record with a goal 0:08 seconds into the contest. The 25-year-old Russian added a power play goal in the second period for one of his six two-goal games on the year. In three games against the Islanders this season, Semin leads all Caps forwards with five points (two goals, three assists).

NOTE OF THE NIGHT

Can drive 65 – All three Capitals-Islanders games this season and seven of the last nine meetings have gone to overtime. Each of Washington ’s last four visits to Nassau Coliseum have gone beyond 60 minutes; last year Alex Ovechkin scored the overtime winner in both trips to Long Island . Washington is 11-7-8 all-time against the Islanders in overtime games.

FIVE MORE NOTES NO MEDIA PERSON SHOULD BE WITHOUT

Going streaking – The Capitals enter Tuesday’s game with a six-game winning streak, tied for the longest active streak in the league. It’s the third six-game winning streak of the season for Washington , the most in the league. A win Tuesday would match the longest win streaks of Bruce Boudreau’s tenure (he had a seven-game winning streak in each of his first two seasons).

Special stuff – In each of the last three games the Capitals scored a power-play goal and did not allow one. On the year the Capitals:

- lead the league with a 26.0% power play. They are 12-for-27 (44%) in the last eight games.

- are 20-1-3 when they do not allow a power-play goal (14-0-1 when they also score a PPG of their own). They have killed 14 straight shorthanded situations.

Nine for 8 – Alex Ovechkin has points in nine straight games, matching Tomas Fleischmann and Mike Green (twice) for the longest streak by a Capital this season (Ovechkin has 7g-13a, +12 in his streak). Ovechkin has 40 points (16g-24a) in 22 games since returning from a two-game NHL suspension and leads the league in goals per game, points per game and plus/minus.

Full 60 – Jose Theodore has won five straight games for the Capitals while posting a 1.96 goals-against average and a .944 save percentage. Theodore is one win shy of his best winning streak as a Capital, a six-game stretch from 12/23/08 –1/6/09.

Face it – The Capitals – who rank fourth in the league on faceoffs for the season at 52.1% -- have won 56.7% of their draws in the last four games. David Steckel leads the team and is second in the NHL at 61.3% for the season.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Caps going into the game 3rd in the entire league with points.. I hope they cream these guys 2nite.. oh gosh, Terps playing tonight too.. Lakers/Wizards on as well.. ummm.. yea I'll be flippin between the Terps and Caps.

LETS GO CAPS!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh, and I'm predicting a clean regular period win for our guys, NO OVERTIME 2NITE!!! :D

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Oh, and I'm predicting a clean regular period win for our guys, NO OVERTIME 2NITE!!! :D

I hope so, last season the Isles played us close, took us to OT at least twice. With the way we played the last few weeks, I worry we are peaking to early.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:49 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Caps going into the game 3rd in the entire league with points.. I hope they cream these guys 2nite.. oh gosh, Terps playing tonight too.. Lakers/Wizards on as well.. ummm.. yea I'll be flippin between the Terps and Caps.

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Me too, the Caps are on fire right now. Hopefully we can go dominate tonight. I will be watching the Terps too and I'll switch to the Wiz game just to see how much Kobe has put down on them :lol:

Islanders always play us tough so hopefully we just show we are the much better team tonight.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:56 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Caps going into the game 3rd in the entire league with points.. I hope they cream these guys 2nite.. oh gosh, Terps playing tonight too.. Lakers/Wizards on as well.. ummm.. yea I'll be flippin between the Terps and Caps.

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Me too, the Caps are on fire right now. Hopefully we can go dominate tonight. I will be watching the Terps too and I'll switch to the Wiz game just to see how much Kobe has put down on them :lol:

Islanders always play us tough so hopefully we just show we are the much better team tonight.

Does Brendon Witt still play for the Isles?
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:31 am

I knew it, no OT last night my friends.. I had that feeling!

Of course I didn't get to watch it because it was in NY and locally we didn't get it. Like, what is the point of NHL Network anyways? They were showing some old nonsense instead of going through the different games across the league. Hogwash! I did watch my Terps destroy Miami though and I caught a glimpse of my Wizards doing what they do best, LOSING. :lol:

Congrats Caps and I'll be watching tonight as we bust a Cap in the Ducks tails!

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:I knew it, no OT last night my friends.. I had that feeling!

Of course I didn't get to watch it because it was in NY and locally we didn't get it. Like, what is the point of NHL Network anyways? They were showing some old nonsense instead of going through the different games across the league. Hogwash! I did watch my Terps destroy Miami though and I caught a glimpse of my Wizards doing what they do best, LOSING. :lol:

It was not on CSN? I watched the Islanders feed on DirectTV because it was in HD, but I saw the listing from CSN....for the record Kenny Albert sucks more doing hockey then football.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Naw Bro, the only other televised hockey game was Phoenix vs.. dag i forgot who. So they had that game on.. Boston College vs Clemson, Mich vs Mich St., Terps vs Miami, and CSN had the Wizards game. Blooowweeerrrr

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:I knew it, no OT last night my friends.. I had that feeling!

It was not on CSN? I watched the Islanders feed on DirectTV because it was in HD, but I saw the listing from CSN....for the record Kenny Albert sucks more doing hockey then football.

I'm not sure about MD, but in VA it was on CSN plus.

Oh BTW, Way to call it LPJ! That was a great game. I expected the Caps to lay-up like they normally do to lesser opponents.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
Sir_Monk wrote:

I'm not sure about MD, but in VA it was on CSN plus.

Oh BTW, Way to call it LPJ! That was a great game. I expected the Caps to lay-up like they normally do to lesser opponents.

the second goal Semin scored was sweet!

Fire Bruce Boudreau

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 pm

CSN + huh? Fios doesn't have that.. dag gone it.. but ooooh, I get Big Ten Channel.. whoop-d-do!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:CSN + huh? Fios doesn't have that.. dag gone it.. but ooooh, I get Big Ten Channel.. whoop-d-do!

Yeah, that's right; a friend of mine had Fios, and I went to watch the game at his place...found out the hard way. :(

Tonight's game should be on though!

Hazards of sharing Verizon with the Wizards is that when they both play, the team at home usually gets the CSN and the away team gets CSN+.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:CSN + huh? Fios doesn't have that.. dag gone it.. but ooooh, I get Big Ten Channel.. whoop-d-do!

Yeah, that's right; a friend of mine had Fios, and I went to watch the game at his place...found out the hard way. :(

Tonight's game should be on though!

Hazards of sharing Verizon with the Wizards is that when they both play, the team at home usually gets the CSN and the away team gets CSN+.

It's racist! :lol:

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 pm

I would trade CSN+ for the VS network.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Return to Washington Sports Teams