2010 draft - First Glance

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
B-rad

2010 draft - First Glance

Postby brad7686 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:09 pm

With the Saints' inspiring win in the Super Bowl behind us, and the NFL combine looming, draft time is in full swing. For the Washington Redskins, the main question on everybody's mind is whether they will take an offensive tackle or a quarterback with their first round selection. There is always the possibility that they will take neither, as there will be talented players at other positions, and the Redskins aren't really set anywhere other than Tight End. However, in all likelihood they will be looking to aid one of the worst offensive lines of all time with an elite left tackle, or groom a young quarterback to be Mike Shanahan's guy. Both of those positions currently include two players that could interest the Redskins, who own the fourth pick overall in the draft.

At offensive tackle, those two players are Russell Okung of Oklahoma State and Anthony Davis of Rutgers. Okung might be the best pass blocker in the nation, using tremendous balance and footwork in conjunction with long arms and his 6'8" frame. He also plays nasty as a run blocker, and is sound technically in that area as well. Davis came out early as a junior for this draft, and has the potential to be an extremely physical tackle at the next level. He's 6'5", 330 lbs, and moves well for his size. While his size and strength will be an asset, he will need to show more consistency and better technique to be an elite player in the NFL. The quarterbacks who could draw the Redskins' interest in the first round are Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen out of Notre Dame.

Click Below for rest

http://www.thehogs.net/blogs/2010/02/18/2010-nfl-draft-at-first-glance/
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Good job on the article. Thanks, brad.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Nice job, I agree.
Sums it up pretty good.

I just want to say that the draft can be very unpredictable. We can all see the obvious weakness at the Oline yet some teams just wow you with there first picks. I just hope Allen and Shanny get it right.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm

we need so much help that I don't see how they can miss - this team should be looking at the best young players they can get from both the draft and at free agency

we are looking at hoping things are getting together here in 2012 so we have a lot of work to do on both offense and defense :)
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:27 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we need so much help that I don't see how they can miss - this team should be looking at the best young players they can get from both the draft and at free agency

we are looking at hoping things are getting together here in 2012 so we have a lot of work to do on both offense and defense :)

The first thing they can do wrong is pick a quarterback or anyone not an offensive lineman in the first round. The second thing they can do wrong is fail to pick an OL in the second. The next thing they can do wrong is pick to make the 3-4 work this season instead of concentrating on the OL.

They can easily miss and probably will. Clausen will be the worse possible pick of the first six ranked candidates. I predict he'll be a bust. If a mistake is going to be made, I hope it will be to pick Bradford. If Bradford is picked, we'll have to pick an offensvie LT in the second.

I totally disagree that we can't go good. We absolutely can not afford to make mistakes with this draft and we absolutly must draft for clear and most pressing need.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:01 pm

We have no idea how Shanahan's analysis of team needs stacks up.

CH, you and I have similar viewpoints... however, I don't think drafting a QB is a disaster, unless MS expects him to start during the first year. As you point out by implication, any reconstruction of the Defensive scheme to a 3-4 will take more than one year. The same is actually true of the OL, as well... any work done this year towards that end should be considered "work in progress", IMO. That allows Shanahan the luxury of selecting a "franchise" quarterback, should he believe that player is to be found in this draft.

Frankly, as you, I'm not sold on Clausen... and there are still question marks around Bradford's shoulder. Fortunately, Bradford's surgeon is a consultant for the Redskins, so there may be some solid information about that .
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:12 pm

I just hope that whatever decisions Allen and Shanahan make, they plan for the long term and not (as we have done in the past) try and make something be effective here this coming year - we have so many issues on the offensive line BUT at the same time we really have to undergo a transformation on both offense and defense

I just want the team to be rebuilt to be consistently competitive and I think that that will take more than 2 seasons and at least 3 drafts PLUS adding some free agents along the way - I totally agree that we need a new offensive line but we also need a QB and we need to also keep in mind that the defense has some needs too

this team is going to be much better under these guys but the full effects of that transformation will not be clear IMO until the 2012 season
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 am

SJ,

The only thing I disagree on is that we don't have to wait 3 years to start seeing results. Especially with the circumstances surrounding the Redskins. Simply by having Kyle Shanahan as our offensive coordinator, I expect better results this year than the past two. Add in FA and the draft by apparently competent ppl? That should show progress and improvement in itself.

Will we see a finished product this year? No, but it will definitely progress, even if we do convert the defense.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010