We Want Wings!

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

We Want Wings!

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Here's a great story about Glory Days' wing promotion with the Washington Capitals in today's Washington Post

Washingtonpost.com wrote:Glory Days Grill offering up free wings to ticket holders when Capitals score big at home

By Dan Steinberg
Friday, January 29, 2010

There was no more depressing radio spot this fall than the Papa John's ads that ran after particularly drab Redskins losses. Remember, you get one free topping for every touchdown, and double the toppings after wins. There were at least two losses in which the good guys never reached the end zone. That meant exactly zero free toppings.

Glory Days Grill is currently enjoying the other end of the scoring giveaway spectrum. The local chain offers 10 free wings (with any purchase) to ticket holders every time the Caps score at least five goals at home. The deal was brokered with the idea that the Caps would reach that threshold perhaps once a month, maybe 10 times on the season.

Well, try six times in the past 12 games.

"Obviously right now, they're on a little bit of a hot streak," laughed co-founder Richard Danker, a lifelong D.C. sports fan who helped arrange the promotion. "No complaints. Let's go Caps."

The offer is good for seven days after the game, and Danker told me they generally have about a thousand ticket-holders seeking free bird. While Glory Days advertises two score of wings, the restaurant serves orders of 6 and 12, so they just go ahead and give away the full dozen.

A dozen wings retail for $10.99. The Caps have already scored at least five goals 10 times this season (including the preseason). That's five figures worth of poultry, gratis.

(Speaking of absurd numbers, how about this one: With their 21-point lead in the Southeast Division, the Caps could start their Olympic break immediately, forfeit every single game between now and March 6, and still remain in first place.)

There's more good stuff in the article, but you can read more here
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:20 pm

And here's Ted's Take

Ted Leonsis, majority owner of the Washington Capitals wrote:
We Want Wings! We Want Wings!

That is such a great chant.

I was speaking with Matt Bradley yesterday and he mentioned how the players are so connected to the fans and when they start to chant, “We Want Wings! We Want Wings!” it gets the players smiling and motivated. Matt also mentioned that one of his best friends - from Ottawa - mentioned to him that our building is many times more exciting than the building and fan base in Canada’s national capital. High praise indeed.

I was speaking to Jason Chimera and he said he was simply amazed at the volume and loudness of our crowd and that the fans cheer at all times where in other arenas, the only time you hear cheering is when a goal is scored.

Here is a cute little ditty about our fan base and “We Want Wings!” Glory Days Grill - who we are certainly NOT charging enough. Thank you Caps fans. You rock! You eat well, too.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:55 pm

They make just got ran out of business :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:23 pm

So you all know that I'm a "New Generation" Caps fan right, but oh my gosh I never expected my young guns to perform the way they're doing this season. 11-0 HOLY STREAK BATMAN!!! Three goalies who play great and a team that seems destined to take the Stanley Cup. *I do knock on wood everytime I give these guys compliments* For all you guys who were fans from a long time ago, I'm very happy for you all and I hope they bring the trophy here for ya.

GO CAPS!!!!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 am

I started going to Caps games in the early 80's. My grandparents had season tickets at the old Caps Center, and I've seen a lot of Caps hockey over the years. I've also been through a lot of heartache in the playoffs. There were years where the Islanders and Penguins beat Caps' teams that had a great shot at winning the Cup. There was 98 where the Capitals had no business making the finals except that Olie Kolzig willed it with the best goaltending this franchise has ever seen. This is the best team I can remember seeing in the red, white and blue. Don't crush my dreams again fellas. Its time to get the Capitals name engraved on Lord Stanley's Cup.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:34 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:So you all know that I'm a "New Generation" Caps fan right, but oh my gosh I never expected my young guns to perform the way they're doing this season. 11-0 HOLY STREAK BATMAN!!! Three goalies who play great and a team that seems destined to take the Stanley Cup. *I do knock on wood everytime I give these guys compliments* For all you guys who were fans from a long time ago, I'm very happy for you all and I hope they bring the trophy here for ya.

GO CAPS!!!!

I think the coolest part of the past two plus seasons is guys like you getting into the team. I remember a story my dad told me, about going to Verzion (then MCI Center) to see game two of the Caps/Sens Eastern Semi's in 1998. He walked up the ticket window and was shocked when the women handed him a free ticket for the game. Turned out the game was on ESPN2 and Abe was worried that the arena would look empty and started handing out free seats. Like Jensenfan, I have likewise been a fan since 1987. The first game I can remember was the Four OT crusher against the Isles when Pat LaFontaine scored in the wee hours of Easter morning to win game seven of the Patrick Division Semi's. Through the up's and down's I have stuck with this team and it is so cool to see the city and the area get behind them now. This is hands down the best Caps team I have ever had the pleasure of watching, I have no idea what the playoffs will bring, but this year has felt special from the start.

GO CAPS!
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:13 pm

Strange...the same thing happened to me! I got to see Olie stop a slow-moving rebound with the toe-point of his skate -- he speared it -- as he was sprawled to the right side of the net making the original save.

Greatest save I've ever seen, and I was just above and a shade behind him. Free.

I used to take Redskin Dan v1978 down to Cap Center and MCI once or twice a year; we also saw the Caps at the Meadowlands and on The Island.

When I was a kid, we only had the Senators and the Redskins, plus an Eastern Hockey League team called the Presidents, who played at Uline Arena. January and February were the no-sports months.

The Caps arrived after I left for college in Chicago: great evenings with a pile of spaghetti and the Bobby Hull / Stan Mikita Blackhawks on TV.

Got hooked on the Caps listening to the five (?) overtime loss to tghe Islanders. Game was still going at midnight, when my wife said, "Turn off that noise!" I climbed up to my son's loft, turned on his little radio, and the two of us listened for another two hours.

Crushing, but we haven't given up since. Saw the team at Cap Center the next year, not yet realizing what a treat it was to have Langway, Stevens, Murphy, and Hatcher on defense. Most of all, live hockey was so much greater than what you can see on TV: the speed, the skating skill, the high-speed turns, the grace, the wallop of a shot off the glass, the attack and counter-attack of '80s hockey. (I hate the trap, and I think fights break the tension of skating and passing up and down the ice.)

By the way, my grandson's first full sentence was, "Goal Ovie!!!!"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:53 am

I know my buddy Bob may post something about the game 2nite but its a huge one. I think its huge simply because its the first game back from the break and we're all looking to see how Ovie plays after being disappointed in the Olympics.

Caps @ Sabres 2nite, 7pm, televised on Versus and Comcast. I love the timing of the game because the Terps are playin dook @ 9!!! Dag, its also Nip Tucks finale @ 10.. wow.. :lol:

(dook-spit,puke,gag,vomit)

Return to Washington Sports Teams