Caps Today and Game Notes for @ Buffalo

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
The Punisher

Caps Today and Game Notes for @ Buffalo

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Today’s Storyline

This is the day – The NHL trade deadline hits at 3 p.m., making this a day full of drama and expectations for hockey fans. Whether the deadline has any impact on the Capitals’ roster remains to be seen, but Washington finds itself in a different position from previous trade deadline days. The Capitals lead the NHL with 90 points, with 29 teams chasing them. Last year the Capitals stuck with their roster at the deadline and reached the second round of the playoffs for the first time since the 1997-98 season. Vice president and general manager George McPhee has always said that if there is a move that makes sense and will improve the team, he will do it. Whether that move presents itself today remains to be seen.

NOTE OF THE NIGHT

90 and climbing –Alex Ovechkin –the only player in the NHL with 90 points each season since the lockout –is one point shy of that mark again this season. He has nine more points (or 11.3% more) than any other player (Henrik Sedin, 80, is second entering Tuesday’s games). Ovechkin is the only Capital in history with more than two consecutive 90-point seasons.

FIVE MORE NOTES NO MEDIA PERSON SHOULD BE WITHOUT

More 90 –The Capitals enter the final 20 games of the season with 90 points, the fastest team in franchise history to reach 90 points. It marks the second time in franchise history that the Capitals have posted three straight 90-point seasons (four straight from 1982-83 to ’85-86).

Goal oriented –The Capitals lead the NHL with 243 goals, 45 more (or 22.7% more) than the next-closest team, San Jose (entering Tuesday’s games, not counting shootout “goals” reflected in the standings). Washington leads the league in goals per game (3.91), even-strength goals (168), power-play goals (63), home goals (117), road goals (126), first-period goals (72) and third-period goals (88). Even if you take away their league-leading power play, the Caps would still rank sixth in the league with 180 goals. At their current pace the Capitals would finish as the highest scoring team since the 1995-96 Pittsburgh Penguins.

Green pastures –Mike Green has points in each of the last seven games he has played (2g-8a), including five straight since serving a suspension, leads all NHL defensemen in goals (14), assists (46) and points (60). His +28 rating is second among all NHL defensemen, trailing only teammate Jeff Schultz (+37). Green has joined Sergei Gonchar, Nicklas Lidstrom and Scott Niedermayer as the only defensemen with two 60-point seasons since the 2004-05 work stoppage. Green is expected to play his 300th career game Wednesday night.

Leading the way –The Capitals are the only team in the NHL with four players with 60-plus points and five players with 20-plus goals (entering Tuesday’s games). The Capitals and Sharks are the only teams with two 30-goal scorers.

K Street –Mike Knuble has 13 goals in the last 16 games and 16 goals in the last 20 games. He is enjoying his seventh consecutive 20-goal season –joining Ilya Kovalchuk, Jarome Iginla and Martin St. Louis as the only players with 20-plus goals in each of those seasons. With 23 goals –despite missing 12 games with a broken finger –Knuble, at 37, leads all players 33 and older in goals.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 am

Ryan Miller, I appreciated what you did for us in the Olympics, now sit the heck down and take dis.. and dat.. and dat too!!! .. and it's over, the CAPS have won again!!!!! ahahahhahaha.. I'm a jerk I know!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:13 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Ryan Miller, I appreciated what you did for us in the Olympics, now sit the heck down and take dis.. and dat.. and dat too!!! .. and it's over, the CAPS have won again!!!!! ahahahhahaha.. I'm a jerk I know!

:lol: It's always better when they win!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Return to Washington Sports Teams