Russell Okung,OT, Oklahoma St.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
brad wrote:If they take Clausen they should have the decency to cut Campbell and make Clausen play behind our line. See if he's worth the pick.

:shock: that sounds like it makes a whole lot of sense :shock:

Campbell should be kept here and given every opportunity to show those of us that think he's not a good QB that he can get the job done and then as soon as we get a decent offensive line he can try and keep his position

I'm thinking he will lose out to whomever we bring in here :lol:

I'm just saying its wrong to make somebody play without a left tackle for two years, so they should cut Campbell if they take Clausen. And since Clausen would be the reason we don't have a left tackle, he should play and see what happens. Not that its his fault he got drafted, but if he's more important than a Left Tackle I would like to see it.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:50 pm

sorry - that just does not make any sense, at all

I agree that we need to find a way to get a decent offensive line as quickly as possible and hopefully if we cannot get Bradford we will get Okung BUT there is no way a team gives up an opportunity to bring in a future great QB and if Allen and both Shanahans think that Bradford or Claussen (or any other QB) is that QB then we will take that QB before we take an OT - NOT even close

The only way we bring in an OT with that 4th pick is if the QB (or QBs) that these guys want is not available - I'll even venture to suggest that they should trade up to get Bradford if they're convinced he's the future great QB - that's how important getting a future great QB is

I personally hope we get Okung - I also hope that we try and bring in a bunch of other offensive linemen as well

If we cannot get Bradford we'll just have to wait and find a QB later - it will just take a little longer because we will be a year behind in developing him
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm being facetious, of course they won't cut Campbell if they don't draft Okung. But they should. Nobody should really have to play behind that line. Especially a guy that is marked to be leaving soon anyway. And whatever qb they took would probly hold out so they don't have to play behind it.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am

No matter who is the player we select at the 4 spot he will be signed and doing everything he can to get ready to play

this franchise and these guys will not have any difficulty getting ANY players signed that we really have to have here - count on it :D
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive soon, we have too many issues to address - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 am

brad7686 wrote:I'm being facetious, of course they won't cut Campbell if they don't draft Okung. But they should. Nobody should really have to play behind that line. Especially a guy that is marked to be leaving soon anyway. And whatever qb they took would probly hold out so they don't have to play behind it.

no worries brad - we will have new players on the offensive line - I agree that "that line" was atrocious but the offensive line on opening day will not resemble "that" group, except for the uniforms :lol:

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:11 pm

I'd say closer to half that, 30 players over two years. 12-15 draft picks plus 12-15 free agents over the next two. We should see about 16 or 17 new players this year and another 12-15 next year.

I think Okung is the slam dunk pick if he is available. Pure speculation about their motives, but if I were Shanahan and Allen, I would do exactly what they are doing right now regarding the draft. I would keep the Okung interest quiet. Assuming there are some trade partners who want QB, I would start slowly hyping up my interest in QB's. That keeps people talking about QB's and not about Okung. Maybe someone offers a sweet deal to trade up to #4, maybe not.
Build through the draft!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

we need 1 of 2 players (Okung or Bradford) and being in the 4 spot AND the fact that both teams directly above us are almost assuredly taking the DTs we are at least looking very good to get either - maybe we can find a trade partner but the fact remains - we need to rebuild this franchise over the next few drafts - I think the Jaguars brought in something like 35+ new players this past season

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 am

SkinsJock wrote:If this guy is there, we have to start replacing the offensive line players - I'm not sure that anyone, currently here, even as a back-up, will be here at the begining of 2012

Okung will be a fixture at LT for many years

I look for this team to get a bunch of offensive linemen in here this spring

I see yours and others' points, SJ, but consider this: Shanny has proven to be able to assemble serviceable O-lines his entire career out of pretty much spit and glue, so if we need to pull the trigger on a QB first and look to replenish his protection through trades or later rounds, I'm more than down with that.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:41 am

I'm hoping that we can get Okung as I think he's going to be the LT for many years

If these guys think that either Bradford or Claussen can become good QBs then I think that is what they'll do

We have a lot of work to do here and it will take some time - if we get very lucky we could see some consistency by next season (2011) but that is hoping for a lot of things to work out - the reality to me is that we will most likely see this franchise back in decent shape with a consistently competitive product on the field in the 2012 season

I'm not head over heels about Shanahan and Allen running things here yet, I am cautiously optimistic  :D

I am very encouraged that these guys are a huge upgrade over what we have seen for the past 10 seasons - we are heading in a direction that promises to be a lot more productive and these guys know what is going on

it is going to take time to get out of the mess we were in

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:12 am

I don't think there is any combination of players from the draft that is going to make the Skins much better this season. That is just the reality of the college jump to the NFL. The core of the team is already in place and it is a team in transition. Haynesworth isn't really a leader, doesn't really like the 3-4 but makes the most money and is the most talented. JC17, Hall, Portis, LJ, Landry, Rogers and many others are question marks for Shanahan. A rookie OT or QB is not going to step in and make the team significantly better for 2010.

If I were the coach, LT would be as big a priority as QB right now. Even though QB is obviously the most important, you really don't want a rokkie QB playing behind a journeyman LT. I'd rather have the LT drafted and in place before the QB is thrown to the wolves.

If we draft Okung we can plug him in at LT immediately and hopefully he will be pretty solid by 2011. If we then drafted a QB in the 2nd round he would play behind JC17 this year. We could send him in for some 4th Q mop up duty in a couple games, but mostly learn the offense in practice and carry a clipboard. By next season, his O-line would be better and the 2nd round QB might be ready to start. If the 2nd round QB isn't there for us this year, we look for a QB in the first 2 rounds next year.
Build through the draft!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 pm

redskindave wrote:Okung would be a great pick for us if he is still their at #4

Agreed. :up:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
redskindave wrote:Okung would be a great pick for us if he is still their at #4

Agreed. :up:

I am all for that too - this guy could be a force here for many years to come :up:

after what Bradford showed yesterday we should be able to get Okung at the 4th slot after the Lions and Bucs take the 2 DTs - the only problem is that there is a lot of time between now and the draft and who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing is going to happen

I just hope that we find a way to get as many draft picks as possible in both this and next year's drafts - even if we have to give up good players for picks in next year's draft that is fine with me too

this franchise should be looking to the 2012 season - we have a lot of mess to clean up here

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 am

fleetus wrote: Pure speculation about their motives, but if I were Shanahan and Allen, I would do exactly what they are doing right now regarding the draft. I would keep the Okung interest quiet.

The whole world knows they need a left tackle and he'll be a Redskins Park the first week in April.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Oklahoma St. OT Russell Okung -- who already has visited Lions, KC, Seattle, and Tampa -- is visiting Washington on Monday.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter
XVII XXII XXVI

Postby djactionman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Of course Bradford is going number one, that has been a sure thing for a long time, Suh or McCoy were NOT going to go number one; period.
The debate over the Ram's pick should be over by now.
The Lions' pick is more questionable since they would like to trade out of it, but it seems pretty sure.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010