Clausen primer

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Clausen primer

Postby fleetus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm

Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame - may be the most interesting pick with respect to the Skins anyway. Many think Bradford will be selected 1st by the Rams. Rams acquired A.J. Feeley as an interim QB, bolstering that speculation.

This leaves Clausen as the undisputed #2 QB of the 2010 draft. As usual, there are plenty of teams in need of a QB, the Skins being one of them. With the #4 pick it is only natural that some draft analysts are going to pencil Clausen's name at #4.

I'm actually coming around about Clausen. I still believe Okung is the best bet if he is available, but I am no longer staunchly against Clausen. At first I heard reports that he is immature, not a good leader, cocky etc. Since I feel we need to improve the O-line before adding a rookie QB, I just decided I was against Clausen, end of story.

But if you read through Clausen's history, he really hasn't done anything wrong. He got sucker punched in a bar by a drunk guy who was shoving Clausen's girlfriend and talking trash. Clausen intervened and got sucker punched. Big deal.

He's also been accused of not being very personable to the media. Whatever. The media thinks the whole world owes it the inside scoop anyway and gets pissed when people don't give them "the story".

Clausen has very good accuracy, an adequate NFL arm, very good decision making and coverage reading skills. He is probably not worth the #4 pick on his skills alone, but if you need a QB and you think he fits your system, I think he will become a good NFL player. I see him as a an Aaron Rodgers/Matt Schaub type of guy. Of course he would need to work hard and learn Shanahan's system to be as good as those guys. (It took each of them several years too) But We could do worse.

Here's some great insight about Clausen:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/ ... id=4872130
Build through the draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 pm

I think Claussen is another Brady Quinn and if we draft him at #4 we're making the major mistake of drafting for need. I also predict like Brady he'll fall to late in the first round. With the #4 pick we should be picking a guy who will be a stalwart for a decade or more. Be it Okung or even D. You can't waste a pick that high with a reach who ends up being a mediocrity you want to upgrade in a couple years. Which is what I think Claussen will end up being. As a Wolverine in a down couple years for the Wolverines, I never feared playing him and never after the game looked at him as having been impressed with his tearing us up. He's not a #4 pick, I just don't see it.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:44 pm

Here's what I think of Jimmy Clausen.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:32 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Here's what I think of Jimmy Clausen.

Cool! Which one is him?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

I recognize the bird on the left...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

I am not a Claussen fan but I am sure that Kyle, Mike and Bruce know a little more than I do and a whole lot more than some here - so, if they think that Claussen can help this franchise, I'm a Claussen fan - now, whose the best lineman we can get with that 37 pick? :lol:

I gotta find that Notre Dame fight song ...
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:54 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I am not a Claussen fan but I am sure that Kyle, Mike and Bruce know a little more than I do and a whole lot more than some here - so, if they think that Claussen can help this franchise, I'm a Claussen fan - now, whose the best lineman we can get with that 37 pick? :lol:

I gotta find that Notre Dame fight song ...

Your endless faith in Kyle, Mike, and Bruce is so touching that I'm ashamed I have my own thoughts. I wish I was like you-- a guy with no need to to have his own thoughts or feel shame.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 am

SkinsJock wrote:I am not a Claussen fan but I am sure that Kyle, Mike and Bruce know a little more than I do and a whole lot more than some here - so, if they think that Claussen can help this franchise, I'm a Claussen fan -

Most of us wouldn't force the PTB's in the Skins to pick the players we advocate or bar those we think we should avoid and we will give Clausen every chance and more if we pick him. The Hogs is a fan message board...we're saying our opinion...that's why we're here.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 am

no worries - like I said - my opinion is that Kyle, Mike and Bruce know what is best for this franchise and the constant bashing of players and coaches is just tiresome
my opinion is that a lot of it just has no merit - they are all trying to undo the mess the best they can

this is where we can come to post whatever drivel we want to - we see evidence of that a lot - we can agree with it or we can make a mountain out of it :lol:

I'm just so glad that Snyder and Cerrato are not trying to get us out of this mess and I also think that we're a couple more drafts away, AT THE EARLIEST - so who they take with the 4 pick is really not that big a deal anyway :roll:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 am

there is no shame in watching these guys undo the mess - I'm actually thinking that this franchise is begining to look like it is heading in the right direction

PATIENCE - we are in a mess - nothing is going to suddenly, magically, change things here - the constant bashing is just pointless

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:25 am

No matter who we select in the first round, half the people on here will say it was the wrong choice. Its the nature of things.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:I think Claussen is another Brady Quinn and if we draft him at #4 we're making the major mistake of drafting for need. I also predict like Brady he'll fall to late in the first round. With the #4 pick we should be picking a guy who will be a stalwart for a decade or more. Be it Okung or even D. You can't waste a pick that high with a reach who ends up being a mediocrity you want to upgrade in a couple years. Which is what I think Claussen will end up being. As a Wolverine in a down couple years for the Wolverines, I never feared playing him and never after the game looked at him as having been impressed with his tearing us up. He's not a #4 pick, I just don't see it.

I agree there are better players at #4. But everything else you said, sounded like me, before I studied up on Clausen. Maybe you have and just disagree, which is fine. But don't buy into the misconception that Clausen is Brady Quinn II. (not that Brady Quinn's career is over yet either) But Clausen has some unique skills that set him apart and make him very NFL worthy. For a fairly poor Notre Dame team, he put up these numbers:

NAME CMP/ATT/YDS/CM%/YPA/LNG/TD/INT/SK/RAT
Clausen 289/ 425/ 3722/ 68.0/ 8.76/ 88/ 28/ 4/ 24/ 161.43

B.Quinn 289/ 467/ 3426/ 61.9/ 7.34/ 62/ 37/ 7/ 31/ 146.65

I think Clausen is better in many ways. 4 INT's in 425 attempts when your team is losing most of the time and defenses are playing pass defense most of the time, is amazing. But I still hope we get Okung.
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 am

SkinsJock wrote:there is no shame in watching these guys undo the mess - I'm actually thinking that this franchise is begining to look like it is heading in the right direction

PATIENCE - we are in a mess - nothing is going to suddenly, magically, change things here - the constant bashing is just pointless

I agree. I've heard comments from L. Fletcher, Dockery and others saying they see an immediate change in how the FO is doing business. Comments like "very methodical", "they let you know exactly where you stand with them", "there is no doubt what is expected of you".

I'm not drinking the kool aid, because it takes years to turn things around in the NFL and it starts with being very, very stingy with draft picks. The Patriots mastered the art of acquiring draft picks and we need to learn that skill too. But, I like what I'm seeing/hearing.

If they decide to pick Clausen, I will be somewhat excited because I'll think, this kid passed all their drills, tests, private investigations, interviews and workouts and they like him better than everyone else available. People forget, Shanahan has had some good years with QB's. Griese, Plummer, Cutler and even arguably Elway had their best years playing for Shanahan. You could add Schaub had his best year playing for Kyle Shanahan. So I expect to see good QB play soon.
Build through the draft!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 am

SkinsJock wrote:there is no shame in watching these guys undo the mess - I'm actually thinking that this franchise is begining to look like it is heading in the right direction

Here's a suggestion about what you can post instead of having to compose different variations of the same message every time:

"I'm still here. Patience. Don't bash. Don't think. Right track. Let coaches decide."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm

fleetus wrote:I agree there are better players at #4. But everything else you said, sounded like me, before I studied up on Clausen. Maybe you have and just disagree, which is fine. But don't buy into the misconception that Clausen is Brady Quinn II

Fair enough, I am mostly going on my perception of him from playing Michigan.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010