LeFavour in middle round

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piglet

LeFavour in middle round

Postby PalmettoSkinsfan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 pm

I keep seeing Kiper list us drafting Clausen with the 4th pick. Now all the news outlets have us hot for Tebow. I don't think Clausen is with 4th pick money and Tebow will definitely be a project. If we are going to have to develop a guy anyway, why not draft Dan LeFavour from Central Mich. I think we could get him with a mid to late round pick allowing us to draft OL early and often. Already in the last decade we have taken QBs in the first round and failed. Maybe another approach is needed.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Lefevour is just a less decorated Tebow IMO
XVII XXII XXVI

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm

andyjens89 wrote:Lefevour is just a less decorated Tebow IMO

I have to disagree with this. LeFevour is raw and needs some work, but he has the potential imho to be a solid qb in the NFL, whereas Tebow doesn't. I would MUCH rather have LeFevour than Tebow.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I have to disagree with this. LeFevour is raw and needs some work, but he has the potential imho to be a solid qb in the NFL, whereas Tebow doesn't. I would MUCH rather have LeFevour than Tebow.

Either way, I feel as though they will both project as good as Alex Smith in the Pros. My 2 cents
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I completely agree. LeFevour has shown that he can throw the ball accurately with consistency Tim Tebow has not. With some work I also think LeFevour could be good in the pros which is why if we take a QB in this draft I think it should be him in the middle rounds
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

I completely agree. LeFevour has shown that he can throw the ball accurately with consistency Tim Tebow has not. With some work I also think LeFevour could be good in the pros which is why if we take a QB in this draft I think it should be him in the middle rounds

Agree with this
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

I disagree with both. LaFavour is a decent prospect for a middle round pick. He has a decent arm, decent accuracy, decent work ethic/leadership and decent football intelligence. You don't draft QB's in the middle rounds with the expectation that they will start soon. You draft them hoping to catch lightning in a bottle or develop a decent backup or future trade bait (Schaub/ATL, Hasselback/GB). It's a nice benefit to drat a guy in the 5th or 6th, then trade him two years later for a 2nd or 3rd. Wolf/Holmgren were the best at this.

Tebow has about everything you could ask for in a QB except a picture perfect throwing motion and experience running a pro style offense. For this reason, it isn't likely he will be drafted in the 1st round. (unless one team is just unwilling to let him slip) But if the Skins got him in the 2nd, he would take all of 2010 to practice running Shanahan's offense and I would hate to be the QB who tried to beat him out in 2011.
Build through the draft!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 pm

I think Dan Lefevour will be a good NFL Quarterback if he gets the opportunity. I am a fan of his and Sean Canfield's if Shanahan decides to go QB in the 4th.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am

Central Michigan QB Dan LeFevour opted to throw only to stationary targets at the NFL combine, a decision that puzzled many scouts, put added emphasis on his pro day workout and began to slow some of the momentum he gained at the Senior Bowl.

LeFevour failed to come through on campus, though. Despite throwing to college teammates in a scripted session, he was out of rhythm and late on several throws and put several balls outside the frame of his receivers.

LeFevour also struggled when throwing the ball deep after spending his college career in a spread offense, but much like Senior Bowl week he did look better throwing the ball underneath on short routes. His footwork also looked a little off, and LeFevour is clearly still getting used to dropping back from under center.

Furthermore, LeFevour offered up the explanation that his timing was off because he and his receivers are not in midseason form, but scouts don't want to hear that. You can't go halfway at the combine and then offer up that kind of explanation when things don't go well at your pro day.

This year's quarterback class is not a deep one, and LeFevour missed a big chance to improve his mid-round stock. He was a productive, athletic quarterback in the spread system, but his struggles with pro-style drops and throws have his stock sliding a bit. In fact, Troy QB Levi Brown has impressed us during film study and could make a push to move ahead of LeFevour in that mid-round group.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=nfl_draft&id=5027090

Aren't a lot of the knocks on him similar to that of Tebow?

And Tebow didn't use an excuse like Lefevour, he just went out and worked harder.

I wouldn't really want either of these guys as they will both be projects, but after hearing these things (that took place at his own pro day that was set up by himself and his own coaches), I can't really say I'm a fan.
XVII XXII XXVI

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010