Russell Visits Redskins Park!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Russell Visits Redskins Park!

Postby Jake » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:17 pm

New From The Post Redskins to Negotiate With Russell
Former Pro Bowler Visited Redskins Park
By Mark Maske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 29, 2003; 2:07 PM

The Washington Redskins were prepared to launch contract negotiations with free agent defensive tackle Darrell Russell, who visited Redskins Park today.

Russell was twice selected for the Pro Bowl when with the Oakland Raiders, but he has had legal troubles and a drug suspension.

Russell met Redskins players and coaches at the team's training facility in Ashburn, and it appeared possible that the two sides could complete a contract agreement soon.

"They have to work out the numbers,'' said Redskins defensive end Regan Upshaw, who was Russell's teammate with the Oakland Raiders and spoke to him today.

Russell was accompanied by family members and his new agent, Gary Wichard. Russell met Tuesday night in Chicago with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder -- who is attending an NFL owners' meeting there -- after being picked up in Snyder's private jet. Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' vice president of football operations, rode on the plane to pick up Russell and his entourage in Los Angeles and accompanied them to Chicago and then back to the D.C. area.

The Redskins have been the most aggressive of the teams interested in Russell, who was released by the Raiders on Monday after being reinstated by the NFL from a suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He reportedly tested positive for Ecstasy.

Separately, he was charged with 25 felony counts stemming from a January 2002 incident in which he allegedly videotaped a woman being raped by two of his friends. But prosecutors, citing a lack of evidence, dropped all the charges in September 2002. Russell also was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving, reportedly just after leaving a legal brothel in Nevada, while on suspension from the NFL and awaiting his rape trial.

Russell, 27, became an unrestricted free agent when he cleared waivers Tuesday. No team wanted to claim him and be responsible for a prorated portion of the $10 million salary that he was to have this season under the terms of his contract with the Raiders.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:26 pm

Dot those I's, cross them T's... let's get his thing ironed out.

I am praying for a cap friendly deal... I hope our desperation doesn't make us do anything stupid.

This team doesn't look anywhere close to a Super Bowl run yet, so I'd hate to waste valuable FUTURE resources for the sake of signing an 'unknown' commodity.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:24 pm

agreed Boss....don't be penny wise and pound foolish

any chance of this guy getting inked and playing Sunday? I know that's a major stretch...but we sure could use him
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football