So You Want a Quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd Round?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 am

The Hogster wrote:Looks like we actually did land a Quarterback with our 2nd Round pick. And, this one can actually step in and lead us right away.

For 2-3 years at most...sop much for that long term vision.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

let this play out. We'll get a second round pick back for Campbell
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:29 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:let this play out. We'll get a second round pick back for Campbell

I will eat my underwear if some team trades us a 2d round pick straight up for Campbell. There is no freaking way.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:let this play out. We'll get a second round pick back for Campbell

I will eat my underwear if some team trades us a 2d round pick straight up for Campbell. There is no freaking way.

Please get us a second round pick...

[-o<
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:38 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Looks like we actually did land a Quarterback with our 2nd Round pick. And, this one can actually step in and lead us right away.

Yes, but when you consider that it would be 2-3 years before a rookie would be ready to lead us to realistic contention, then its clear that we're trying to be competitive now, and build gradually, rather than adopt the thrash and burn method.

Why do we think we can address ALL of our holes through the draft, when we only had 5 picks? Getting a legit QB allows us to use the other picks on realistic needs, while still competing.

If we kept the pick and drafted Okung and Lefevour or Tebow in the 2nd, then we'd still be meddling in mediocrity while waiting for the 2nd round pick to be ready to lead us. I don't think Shanahan believes we are too bad to even compete.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 am

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:

[-o<

hahah. I will YOUTUBE it to boot!!!

I like JC, but I think we'd be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him. We just don't have any leverage. Teams can pretty much just sit back and wait for us to release him.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:45 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:

For 2-3 years at most...so much for that long term vision.

OK Vet! - but long or short term, we are better off with a leader like McNabb at QB than a QB with no good QB traits or skills whatsoever like Campbell

Hey guys! - IF this were such a bad deal why are there so many fans of the other NFC East teams AND so many of the media thinking this is a very good deal for the Redskins and a bad deal for the Eagles
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:05 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:

To get to a goal requires two steps:

1) Identify the goal
2) Create a path to the goal

When you're getting younger, you need to not only get younger players but you need to have guys to do the transition. McNabb is a vet QB who knows the position and how to win in the NFL and should have a few years in the tank. This takes pressure off us to get a young QB who can start right away, provides a mentor to a young QB who knows how to win in the NFL and provides a quality QB so other positions can grow. So for example Thomas, Davis and Kelly get a QB who can throw them the ball, not drill the ball into the ground at their feet or throw it over their heads or behind them in game conditions, which helps them grow as well.

McNabb is a good step to help us get younger if you analyze that he's part of the path, not the destination. QB affects everything else on O and he's a great fit for what we really need right now.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 pm

eloquently stated Kazoo :wink:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010