draft is near

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
piglet

draft is near

Postby northcarolinaredskin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

I am a believer in taking the needs of the team first always, but this year is a tough choice. Russell Okung, who is the best LT in the draft is the main need of the team so that we can protect McNabb who is sacked around 40 times already. We need to keep him as young as we can for as long as we can. The tough part is that there is one of the most talented players in the draft in the whole decade, Eric Berry. He is valued as the best player in the draft so if he is there at #4, and you can't pass up on an opportunity like the one they may have to pick up Berry. Who does everyone think we should take, Okung or Berry?

One Step Away

Re: draft is near

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:15 am

northcarolinaredskin wrote:I am a believer in taking the needs of the team first always, but this year is a tough choice. Russell Okung, who is the best LT in the draft is the main need of the team so that we can protect McNabb who is sacked around 40 times already. We need to keep him as young as we can for as long as we can. The tough part is that there is one of the most talented players in the draft in the whole decade, Eric Berry. He is valued as the best player in the draft so if he is there at #4, and you can't pass up on an opportunity like the one they may have to pick up Berry. Who does everyone think we should take, Okung or Berry?

We have 4 draft picks and 1 in the first 3 rounds. If LT isn't shored up by draft time, you simply cannot take a safety over that need. Our QB is on the last leg of his career, and he needs a line to succeed behind.

In a way, I hope we do take the sexy pic so the people so blinded by highlight reels can see a little reality.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

Unless someone considers Heyer a starter, we have no OT's. Gotta think that is the only way they can go.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:17 pm

It's not a tough choice, at all... Okung is the correct pick, if he is there. Berry is an option ONLY if Okung and Bradford are gone, AND we can't find a partner to trade down.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:45 pm

I am pulling for us to get Okung. I just think the Lions will pick him up. Also Bradford will be gone by the first pick. I am almost positive Bradford is going to the Rams.

The question is will anyone trade up to take Clausen? Clausen had a very good pro day. Just hope the teams below us will like Clausen.

If no trade down is possible. Then I think we will either get Berry or DT Mccoy. I am not to high on Bruce Campbell, Bulaga or Williams at the no. 4 pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am

HEROHAMO wrote:The question is will anyone trade up to take Clausen? Clausen had a very good pro day. Just hope the teams below us will like Clausen

I agree with you that this happening is our best option to get good value for trading down with the fourth pick. My prediction is it won't happen, but it could and it would be nice for us.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Bulaga would be a nice pick up at #4 and will be a longtime starter in the league. Okung is expected to just be an every year pro-bowl stud though so if we can manage to get either one, I'd be happy.

Now, if Okung get's taken at #2, I can assure you that we'll trade down b/c there will be someone willing to jump to get one of the DT's b/c either one or both will be there for the taking.

Postby yupchagee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Countertrey wrote:It's not a tough choice, at all... Okung is the correct pick, if he is there. Berry is an option ONLY if Okung and Bradford are gone, AND we can't find a partner to trade down.

I'd still take an OT at #4. Either Williams or Bulaga.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Sorry... I just don't see paying either one #4 money... but, then, it's not my money, nor is it my pick...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Countertrey wrote:It's not a tough choice, at all... Okung is the correct pick, if he is there. Berry is an option ONLY if Okung and Bradford are gone, AND we can't find a partner to trade down.

ABSOLUTELY - I know that I'm most likely in the minority about this but the top of my list is Bradford, then Okung, then trade out of the 4 slot and lastly take Berry

I do think that Berry will be a great safety for years to come but getting guys that are likely to help the team are a lot more important than finding superstars

superstars are great for fantasy football not for the NFL
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am

The draft is near and I'm getting excited, I have no idea why because I could be disappointed but I'm still cissed though.

FYI.. if any of you are in the Laurel area on draft day, Steve Czaben and Andy Pollin will be at the Green Turtle for the draft. I'll be there so if your coming, just hit me up and I'll let you buy me a beer. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Re: draft is near

Postby fleetus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:
northcarolinaredskin wrote:I am a believer in taking the needs of the team first always, but this year is a tough choice. Russell Okung, who is the best LT in the draft is the main need of the team so that we can protect McNabb who is sacked around 40 times already. We need to keep him as young as we can for as long as we can. The tough part is that there is one of the most talented players in the draft in the whole decade, Eric Berry. He is valued as the best player in the draft so if he is there at #4, and you can't pass up on an opportunity like the one they may have to pick up Berry. Who does everyone think we should take, Okung or Berry?

We have 4 draft picks and 1 in the first 3 rounds. If LT isn't shored up by draft time, you simply cannot take a safety over that need. Our QB is on the last leg of his career, and he needs a line to succeed behind.

In a way, I hope we do take the sexy pic so the people so blinded by highlight reels can see a little reality.

We'll have some extra picks at some point during draft day. :wink:

I personally wouldn't mind seeing them move down a couple spots and draft Williams instead of Okung. But, who between #5-8 trades up to #4? Probably no one. So we are better off drafting Okung simply because he is so solid.

As big as Landry is, maybe we should trade Rocky, move LL to WLB and draft a safety to replace LL. :lol:
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 am

Man haven't been to the Green Turtle since I was a PFC at Fort Meade... Have fun!

I don't know about this draft. I'd be happy with Okung, but I'm really hoping we figure out a way to either trade a player or trade down to acquire some more picks. If we come away with only one pick in the first three rounds I'll be pretty disappointed.

Hog

Postby TincoSkin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I am so excited for this draft! Excited about it for the first time in years. I don't think there is a possiblity for our guys to mess this up too bad. We have so many needs!! Getting to choose 4th is huge. Can't wait. Maybe I'll take off work and party all day...
GIBBS FOR LIFE

Hey hey hey, go Greenway!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't think we'll have an opportunity to pick this high for a while with these 2 guys in charge - I would not be surprised with an 8-8 record this season

GO SKINS
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010