Caps today - Presidents Trophy/Best record in team history

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Hog

Caps today - Presidents Trophy/Best record in team history

Postby Sir_Monk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

Two historic milestones were reached this weekend, as the Washington Capitals clinched both the Presidents Trophy as well as franchise record for points in a season.

In Columbus on Saturday night, the team came out on fire again, scoring the games first three goals early in the first period. Starting the second period they seemed to cool off, holding on at the end to secure a 3-2 win. While the team coasted to victory, both the coach's and players continue to stress that they are not just playing out the string. Though, after the third goal was goal was scored, the team looked sloppy, disinterested, and bored. I guess I don't blame them, at some point, it must get fairly monotonous to play out the string in a series of meaningless games, I just worry about them being able to turn it on for the playoffs.

Years ago, it always seemed like the Caps would start slow, and have to turn it on just to make the postseason, seemingly running out of gas when the second season started. Now I worry that they might not get the engine running, when the game really count.

It looks more and more like the Rangers will be our first round opponent. I don't like the matchup, but for my money, New York is not as good as last year and we are far better. I'd rather kick off the playoffs against a team that we have zero playoff history like the Thrashers, as oposed to the Rangers or Flyers.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 am

It's pretty sweet how they went through the season dominating everyone. Speaking of dominating, how about the 6-3 spanking they gave the happy feet.. I didn't watch the game or the highlights (yet) but 4-0 against the sissy and his team is awesome. I like how we're ending the season with two games at home also, that will give our fans in the stands momentum going into the playoffs. :lol: momentum for the fans in the stands..

THE BEARD MUST GROW!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am

TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!

Caps vs Canadians.. Game 1 and I'm not shaving!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am

Hopefully Washington takes a lesson from the Pens opening game and doesn't take this for granted. Get started off right with a win tonight; sweep them in 4; maximize how much rest we get. We're going to need it for some of the later series.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 am

Bru (or anyone else) did you see the game last night? I didn't even get a chance to watch the highlights yet but I heard the score in the car earlier and I started yelling and cheering. LOL.. Did they just play poorly, did Ottawa play that much better or a little bit of both?

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!

What about a mohawk? You rocking one of those?
Suck and Luck

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!!!

What about a mohawk? You rocking one of those?

If only I had hair ON my head and not just my face.. i'm so there! :lol:

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm in the same boat, I'm working on a playoff goatee, since a beard would look strange with my bald head.

GO CAPS! ROCK THE RED!!!!!!
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:36 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Bru (or anyone else) did you see the game last night? I didn't even get a chance to watch the highlights yet but I heard the score in the car earlier and I started yelling and cheering. LOL.. Did they just play poorly, did Ottawa play that much better or a little bit of both?

The Pens goalie screwed them over. He's been the weak link all along, and had his worst game of the season two days ago.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Bru (or anyone else) did you see the game last night? I didn't even get a chance to watch the highlights yet but I heard the score in the car earlier and I started yelling and cheering. LOL.. Did they just play poorly, did Ottawa play that much better or a little bit of both?

The Pens goalie screwed them over. He's been the weak link all along, and had his worst game of the season two days ago.

Oddly, dude becomes Patrick Roy when he plays the Caps

Fire Bruce Boudreau

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Oddly, dude becomes Patrick Roy when he plays the Caps

I got serious about the NHL when I was in college in Chicago. "My" Blackhawks had Bobby Hull, Dennis Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, and the President's Cup, but no Stanley Cup. Some thief named Dryden stole it from them.

So for 2010-11, I hope the Caps do not win the President's Cup, and save their best games for the playoffs!

[Geezer note: back in the '60s we cheered for the Senators, then the Redskins, and then waited for Spring Training. Washington had had a minor league hockey team called the Washington Lions / Presidents that played in Uline Arena, and a founding NBA team, a powerful team called the "Capitols". Coached by Red Auerbach, but broken up around 1951 or '52. Uline only had 7,000 or 8,000 seats, so no NBA or NHL team could make money in DC. TV showed us Celtics games and Montreal games on the weekends. Not that we cared then.]

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:39 am

welch wrote:So for 2010-11, I hope the Caps do not win the President's Cup, and save their best games for the playoffs!

As a Red Wing fan, I totally agree that's the right approach. Going for the President's Cup doesn't have a team focusing on the skills that win in the playoffs. In hockey more then any other major sport the playoffs are just a different game then the regular season. We started learning to win Stanley when we stopped paying attention to Presidents Cups
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Washington Sports Teams