Skins Round 1 Scenarios (to name a few)

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Skins Round 1 Scenarios (to name a few)

Postby fleetus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:35 am

1) Stay at #4, draft Okung - Okung is the consensus 4th best player and he fits the Skins biggest need. He is solid, no known character issues.

So you might say, given the above, why look a gift horse in the mouth? You need a LT, the best LT in the draft is sitting there at #4, there's no real down side to drafting him. Done deal right? Well, not so fast :lol:

I don't see the Skins getting trade offers from teams wanting to move up to #4. What player would teams move up for? The top 3, Bradford, Suh and McCoy are gone. I don't see teams moving up to get Berry, #5 is about as high as a safety will be drafted, IMO. Moving up for Okung is unlikely, since Williams, Bulaga and Davis are all decent OL's available below #4. Teams don't usually trade up into the top 5 and when they do, it is for a game changing type player. Okung is more of a steady OL you hope to have for a decade. He's not rated like an Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden. Clausen will be available much lower than 4. So trading down is unlikely to happen.

Trade up? Despite some media outlets continuing to talk about a trade up for Bradford, I don't see it. Why trade picks for McNabb, if you intended to trade up for Bradford? It would have made more sense to keep Campbell as the interim starter and the (McNabb) draft picks if Bradford was your target all along. I think the media outlets reporting this are basically clueless.

How about a trade up to #2. I admit this makes little sense, unless it is fairly complicated. The best suitor for Haynesworth may be Detroit. AH's former coach is the HC in Detroit. More than likely he will just draft Suh and get AH's talent in a younger, less whiny player. But if he felt like AH was a perfect fit, he could offer the #2 for the Skins #4 plus some additional 2nd/3rd round picks.

2) Skins trade their #4 + Haynesworth for Detroits #2 + 2nd round pick. Why do the Skins do this? For one, maybe they are simply trying to get more value than Detroit's 2nd rounder? Maybe Detroit figures it is a wash because moving from #2 down to 4 makes little difference to them. They get their DT in AH and now use the #4 to select the best OL available, whether that is Okung or Trent Williams doesn't matter much. Also, the Skins might have some trade down ability with the #2 pick. #4 was almost untradeable, but #2 and the chance to get Suh is a big draw. Maybe the Skins get decent value for AH plus trade down from #2 and net additional picks later in the draft?

What if the Skins intend to stay at #4 but select someone other than Okung? Two players come to mind here. Trent Williams and Eric Berry. Williams may be a better fit for Shanahan's zone blocking scheme which demands lineman be fast and agile enough to pull and also to get to the 2nd level quickly to block LB's. Okung is athletic enough, but his blocking downfield is a little suspect. Williams and even maybe Bulaga are possibly better fits in this system.

Then there is Berry. With Landry's poor coverage skills and his bulking up to 230-240#, it seems obvious he will be playing closer to the line of scrimmage, out of necessity if nothing else. So who can play FS in Washington? Berry would be perfect. He is much close to Sean Taylor in terms of range and coverage ability than Landry is.

3) Skins stay at #4 and draft Trent Williams.

4) Skins stay at #4 and draft Eric Berry.

Do you have any first round scenarios other than the four listed above?
Last edited by fleetus on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build through the draft!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 am

NO MORE SCENARIOS! Ya'll are making my head hurt!.. plus its all the same at this point :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am

4) Skins stay at #4 and draft Eric Berry.

I just read on the Redskins Insider that the Skins are floating this idea. Does anybody REALLY believe we would pick a safety at #4? Even a stud like Berry?

I could be totally wrong but it just sounds like kind of a lame effort to get teams who want Berry to try to move up. I don't see how this team is in any kind of position to take a freaking safety with the #4 pick in the draft.

Here's the insider link, etc; if you're interested:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... emain.html

If you've followed Redskins Insider today, you've noticed we'll be assessing the chances of whom the Redskins might select with their first pick tonight in the NFL Draft.

Rick Maese reported the team might make a major move in an attempt draft former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, who will be the No. 1 overall pick. But if the Redskins stay at No. 4, we've heard they will strongly consider dynamic safety Eric Berry, whom I'll be writing more about shortly.

The Redskins believe Berry would be a perfect fit for their new defensive scheme and that he's the most talented player in the draft regardless of position, a person familiar with the Redskins' thinking informed me in a text message earlier this week. The Redskins ultimately might pick an offensive tackle because of their concerns about that position, the source explained, but Berry "could be their guy."

We've spoken with several of the players expected to be selected early in today's draft, and Berry came across well in my interview with him. Many within the league expect the Redskins to shake up things tonight, and drafting Berry would qualify.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

Riggo, I will be furious if we pick him
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

In another thread I said the exact same scenario as what you mentioned with trading up to #2.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:NO MORE SCENARIOS! Ya'll are making my head hurt!.. plus its all the same at this point :lol:

I know what you mean Joe. There are a good dozen more scenarios, but I don't see much movement for the 4th pick of this draft. The top 2 picks might draw some trade interest. Then some more trades further down. But between #4-8 or so, I don't see trades happening.

The SKins might make several trades for extra draft picks on Friday and Saturday though. Haynesworth, Campbell, McIntosh, Carter and LAndry are all possible trades. I'd say that Campbell is the most likely to go with McIntosh and Haynesworth at about 50/50 possibilities. Carter and Landry are remote possibilities.

I think we'll see Okung wearing a Redskins hat by 8:15 or so tonight. :lol:
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am

frankcal20 wrote:In another thread I said the exact same scenario as what you mentioned with trading up to #2.

I posted it in another thread once too. Got all sorts of criticism for it. :lol: It is a little far fetched, but our main trade bait, besides the #4, is Haynesworth. If it involves the #4 and trading down, how do you add a player of Haynesworth caliber? You don't. But maybe Detroit thinks they can get BOTH a top DT and a top LT by trading with the Skins. It would be a bold move!
Build through the draft!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am

Here's the only way, I think, is we move out of #4:

1. Lions take Okung at 2 and one of the DT's is available.
2. Someone wants to jump ahead of KC to take Berry b/c the value is there.
3. Okung is there and there is fear that we draft him or KC drafts him.

That's just a few that I've thought about as being the most likely possibilities.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 am

...to continue:

#4 - We move up by using Haynesworth to pick up Bradford and them move him to a team like Seattle for their two first round picks and maybe another mid round like a 4th. We can pick up a lineman in the 1st and then one of the stud CB's, a safety, LB or even a QB like Tebow as a future project player/trick play guy.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am

Okung is a boring pcik, a solid, steady LT who may not ever be elite but is almost certain to be a VERY good tackle for a long time.

I'm okay with that.

Eric Berry is an elite FS, he'll very likely be a great player, and he was a good enough cover guy to play CB in college. He is a damn fine player... but we need a LT, we need a FS too, but the o-line is something we've ignored for too long.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

Can you say protect McNabb?. Please with that #4 pick take OL. What is this im hearing about trading with the Rams for the #1 and getting Bradford. Does this have any traction or legs?

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:58 am

probably a lot of smoke at this point. Everyone is saying the same thing - what the Skins do at #4 is going to be the biggest question mark of the day.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

I must admit it is kind of mind boggling when you consider all the various scenarios - I will be fine with whomever we pick a 4 if we have to go that route - all of the guys that are likely to be there will very likely help this franchise for a long while

The one thing I will point out is that we are very lucky in my estimation to have these 2 guys doing this instead of Cerrato and Snyder :lol: what a waste that combination has proven to be - Shanahan having had a year off to evaluate and plan and Allen having the authority to be as bold as he can to try and make the moves we need to get this train wreck of a franchise back on the tracks

this could be one of the most exciting drafts for a long while :D
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Skins Fan in Indy wrote:Can you say protect McNabb?. Please with that #4 pick take OL. What is this im hearing about trading with the Rams for the #1 and getting Bradford. Does this have any traction or legs?

I explained it in the original post. I think it is complete BS. Just the media looking for any story that can add drama to the draft. They assume the Redskins will always do something splashy. Problem is, I don't think Shanahan and Allen are necessarily splashy types. Bold maybe, but they won't make picks to sell tickets like Snyder/Cerrato did. They'll make picks to improve the team. Using all your resources to obtain both McNabb and Bradford will not be the wisest moves for the team.
Build through the draft!

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 pm

SkinsJock wrote:The one thing I will point out is that we are very lucky in my estimation to have these 2 guys doing this instead of Cerrato and Snyder :lol: what a waste that combination has proven to be - Shanahan having had a year off to evaluate and plan and Allen having the authority to be as bold as he can to try and make the moves we need to get this train wreck of a franchise back on the tracks

this could be one of the most exciting drafts for a long while :D

I couldn't agree more!. I think we have a bright future with Shanahan and Allen in town.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010