Perry Riley, OLB, LSU

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Perry Riley, OLB, LSU

Postby fleetus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:24 am

With the 103rd pick of the 2010 draft, the Redskins select Perry Riley, OLB from LSU.

6'1" 239lbs.

Instincts/Recognition 3 Overall instincts are good but not elite. Rarely false steps. Does a good job of reading keys against run and fills downhill quickly. Is susceptible to play action and can lose drop zone integrity as a result. Needs to do a better job of recognizing and reacting to screens.

Strength/Toughness 2 Displays above-average core strength. Welcomes contact. Heavy handed and can jolt blockers with initial punch at the point of attack. Does a good job of controlling and shedding blocks. Effort in pursuit is inconsistent at times.

Range vs. Run 3 Straight line speed and closing burst is good. However, displays tightness in hips and struggles with any sudden change-of-direction. Angles in pursuit are good but can lose gap integrity with runs fits on occasion.

Tackling 2 Sound overall tackler. Balanced and a heavy hitter when meeting running backs in the hole. Flashes ability to deliver violent strike. Has some inconsistency as an open field tackler.

3rd Down Capabilities 3 Effective dropping into underneath zone coverage. Shows good awareness for crossers in his zone. Limited ball skills. May have trouble limiting separation when matched up in man coverage against running backs and tight ends. Times pressures well and displays good power and closing burst as a rusher.
Last edited by fleetus on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build through the draft!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:26 am

He's going to play ILB. Cory Chavious said that he's got great footwork like a CB or Safety.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 am

frankcal20 wrote:He's going to play ILB. Cory Chavious said that he's got great footwork like a CB or Safety.

For a 4th rounder, he sounds like an ideal ILB for the 3-4 to play next to London. Don't know much about him myself though.

I liked what Cory Chavous said about Haslett. The most creative coach he ever played for.
Build through the draft!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am

Yep. That made me feel a bit confident by using the word creative. We'll need it this year.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am

Riley reminds me of a James Farrior, Larry Foote type of player. If Oakland doesn't draft Bruce Campbell, something is up.

I liked Eric Norwood if we were going to go LB. But, I'll take it.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 am

Yeah. We could see JC be moved here or to Buffalo next pick.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:45 am

Redskins take LSU linebacker Perry Riley with 103rd pick

Updated at 10:35 a.m.

After beefing up their offense with their first-round pick, the Redskins turned their attention to the defensive side of the ball, selecting LSU linebacker Perry Riley with their fourth-round pick Saturday morning.

Riley, 6-foot-1, 239 pounds, was a weak-side linebacker for the Tigers but has been projected by many to play as an inside linebacker in the NFL. He started 22 college games and played a role in 185 tackles with two sacks and also made two interceptions. He registered 13 stops for loss.

Riley was a four-year player for LSU, and as a junior, he was a finalist for the Butkus Award and was the team's defensive MVP in the Chik-fil-A Bowl At the NFL Scouting Combine in February in Indianapolis, Riley ran a 4.69 in the 40-yard dash and had a 35 1/2-inch vertical jump.

His addition could provide added competition at the linebacker slot. London Fletcher, Rocky McIntosh and H.B. Blades could all find themselves playing inside.

The pick was the second of this year's draft for the Redskins. They selected left tackle Trent Williams in the first round with the fourth overall pick, but had no picks in the second or third rounds and sat our Day 2 of the draft.

The Redskins have two picks remaining -- the 163rd overall in the fifth round and the 208th overall in the seventh round.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:47 am

another note, Rick Maise said that Riley was so excited about being picked by the Skins that he has no idea who he was speaking to on the phone.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:58 am

frankcal20 wrote:another note, Rick Maise said that Riley was so excited about being picked by the Skins that he has no idea who he was speaking to on the phone.

Playing next to London or behind London will be a win-win for him. Does anyone have any video on this guy? I saw him play in the Chick-fil-A Bowl and he was a monster. But, YouTube is lacking film on him.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 am

Don't know Riley well, but I'm less than exited. We need another Oline tackle, and I was praying for Bruce Campbell. Unless something radical is done, we'll now be starting a journeyman (Hicks) or a dummy (Heyer) at right tackle. We'll have the worse OL in the conference. Williams is a question mark, the rest are either average or worse. We're done a really bad job with the OL thus far-- the same kind of lack of attention the last administration paid. Going for a lineman in the first round was simply not enough-- anyone would have done it, even Zorn. No points for Shanny and Allen on the OL. None.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:02 am

Seems like a solid pick. He'll have a great mentor to learn from, he'll be on special teams and help there also.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby BurgundyandGoldfaith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:Don't know Riley well, but I'm less than exited. We need another Oline tackle, and I was praying for Bruce Campbell. Unless something radical is done, we'll now be starting a journeyman (Hicks) or a dummy (Heyer) at right tackle. We'll have the worse OL in the conference. Williams is a question mark, the rest are either average or worse. We're done a really bad job with the OL thus far-- the same kind of lack of attention the last administration paid. Going for a lineman in the first round was simply not enough-- anyone would have done it, even Zorn. No points for Shanny and Allen on the OL. None.

I was hoping for Campbell as well but I'm not going to assume the FO made a poor oversight. You should just turn the TV off, friend. 'We're done a really bad job with the OL thus far' makes me feel that much better that our draft isn't in your hands

Hog

Postby BurgundyandGoldfaith » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16 am

As far as Williams is concerned, we have a solid LT and teams can get around not having a great RT(Vikings-Phil Loadholdt). No one can get around not having a LT, RT, or running game.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:18 am

BurgundyandGoldfaith wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:Don't know Riley well, but I'm less than exited. We need another Oline tackle, and I was praying for Bruce Campbell. Unless something radical is done, we'll now be starting a journeyman (Hicks) or a dummy (Heyer) at right tackle. We'll have the worse OL in the conference. Williams is a question mark, the rest are either average or worse. We're done a really bad job with the OL thus far-- the same kind of lack of attention the last administration paid. Going for a lineman in the first round was simply not enough-- anyone would have done it, even Zorn. No points for Shanny and Allen on the OL. None.

I was hoping for Campbell as well but I'm not going to assume the FO made a poor oversight. You should just turn the TV off, friend. 'We're done a really bad job with the OL thus far' makes me feel that much better that our draft isn't in your hands

Building the O Line is a process. I would have preferred Selvish Capers or even Campbell. But, Riley Perry is a good player that fills a need. He reminds me of Larry Foote and you need guys like that.

The way the draft is panning out, we still may be able to grab a quality tackle in 5. Tony Washington, and/or Capers may be there. Nonetheless, if the staff doesn't like any of the other linemen, look for us to add through FA (Faneca, Adams, Jamaal Brown) and then add more youth next draft.

It's a process guys. One thing Shanahan has never done poorly with is the offensive line.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010