What do you think of Jason Campbell?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Is Jason Campbell a good guy? A good quarterback? Both? Neither

Poll ended at Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:08 am

He is a very good quarterback and a good guy
48%
He's a very good quarterback, but a complete jerk
No votes
He sucks as a quarterback, but I like him personally
52%
He sucks as a quarterback and is a complete jerk
No votes

Total votes : 23
Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:06 pm

i think JC is a class act and handled everything with just that class.

i wish him well in oaktown.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:10 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Here is an interesting video of Charlie Casserly breaking down JC's game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqk4Du4-wM

This was a breakdown of Jason Campbell running the Westcoast offense in Oct. '09.

Watching several media discussions since the trade, Jim Mora Jr. said it best "A great football player who's never been put in a position to succeed. Wrong system for a player who works best out of the shotgun, making plays with his feet and working the play action game. He also said that he's got a huge arm and suited for down the field play." Um, I'm a Campbell guy but he's got to work on the downfield stuff though :)

When Zorn took over all we heard about, including posts by many on this board, that he was better suited for the WC offense and that that was the offense he ran best in college. Now it's back to JC not being suited for the WC offense, but is instead best suited for a vertical passing offense, which is what he struggled with under Gibbs/Saunders. Maybe, just maybe, he isn't cut out to run any type of NFL offense.
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

First off - Saunders offense is very detail oriented and is/was only here for one year. Gibbs' offense was here for one year and Zorn's was here for two. I've said it all along that he's best at play action and in the shotgun. He's also best at running a hurry up offense and what really cracked me up, we were at our best last year when our headsets were not working and he was calling his own plays.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Too stark a choice.

Average QB, very good person.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:26 am

PulpExposure wrote:Too stark a choice.

Average QB, very good person.

QFT
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 am

This poll is missing a couple options. I think alot of people probably believe Campbell is a really good guy and just an OK quarterback.

For the people who want us all to believe that Campbell "sucks", I understand your disappointment in the guy but let me offer you some NFL QB who really sucked. Ryan Leaf. Joey Harrington. Chris Weinke. Tim Rattay. Akili Smith. Heath Schuler. Jamarcus Russell.

I mean, let's be real about this. Campbell is never going to be Drew Brees, but he's not Jamarcus Russell either. Give the guy a break.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 pm

riggofan wrote:This poll is missing a couple options

Every poll is, you can't cover every conceivable option. But in designing polls for businesses you like to avoid middle of the road choices because a lot of people will just chose that rather then taking a position. It's better to go with the polars and make them pick. I actually have some expertise in business polls, I'm not just saying it. I'm also not saying you can't feel differently, I'm just telling you what businesses do and why I did it that way.

Also, the point of the poll was to respond to cleg's assertion that JC is "hated." Obviously not by the majority of Skin fans, the result was unanimous in that, everyone thinks he's a good guy. As Trey pointed out he must be too used to Philly fans.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:40 am

I think he's an accomplished QB (his stats indicate as much), but not a great one.

With the way he handled his stay in Washington and constant trade rumors, there's no doubt in my mind he's a high-character, classy, and nice guy.

Good luck, JC in Oakland.
Back and better than ever!

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 am

frankcal20 wrote:First off - Saunders offense is very detail oriented and is/was only here for one year. Gibbs' offense was here for one year and Zorn's was here for two. I've said it all along that he's best at play action and in the shotgun. He's also best at running a hurry up offense and what really cracked me up, we were at our best last year when our headsets were not working and he was calling his own plays.

That's not accurate ... Saunders was here TWO years ... 2006 & 2007.

Jason Campbell spent the entire 2005 season on the bench learning Gibbs system behind Brunell ... in the offseason, Saunders was brought in, and Brunell was expected to digest and run the system. JC remained on the bench for the first 9 games, and finished the 2006 season (7 games) under Saunders offense. Then he had the entire offseason, and preseason, and the 2007 under Saunders system until he was hurt.

The deal is, Campbell missed a lot of downfield throws, and opportunities when he didn't see the open receivers downfield. I recall very distinctly JC commenting on how he preferred the gun, and wasn't comfortable working under center ... that he lost sight of his receivers from under center ... comments that simply amazed me that he would openly say such things as an NFL starting QB.

When the switch was made to Zorn and the WCO, I knew that wasn't really going to help Campbell because aside from the missed downfield opportunities, he demonstrated a very slow recognition of coverages and ability to run through progressions when the WCO demands very quick decisions. He also demonstrated a lack of touch and accuracy on short and intermediate throws ... another minus in a WC system.

The bottom line is that over his 5 year career, Jason's football IQ really didn't improve dramatically ... he still demonstrated the same weaknesses he brought with him as a rookie, and never was able to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He was still working on fundamentals, rather than honing the skills you expect from a veteran QB ... instead of mastering the nuances of looking off safeties to free up a zone .. JC needed reminding to step up in the pocket instead of getting trapped by the edge rushers.

As was outlined in the Casserly piece ... Jason didn't maximize the opportunities presented ... he repeatedly threw to the wrong guy when better options were open for bigger plays ... frequently taking the short throws rather than the intermediate or deeper receiver.

When you look at the total body of work, and honestly evaluate his progress ... forget the stats ... and forget 2009 and all of the turmoil, look at 2007-2008 seasons ... he didn't really shine in either system, even when he had adequate protection.

The NFL, with the parity that exists, along with the slim margin of error that determines winning and losing ... often times boiling down to a couple of big plays making the difference ... Campbell just didn't make those critical plays when he had the opportunity, and when the team needed him to.

Campbell is a safe backup QB ... but not the guy to lead. He just has too many flaws .. misses too many opportunities to be a consistent winner in the NFL.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:In 2005, the Redskins had NO business drafting a QB in the first round. You have to build a team around them first before you can add a QB. The team was a mess with no weapons at WR and a sub-par line in 2004. They also had turmoil in the front office and coaching staff. We never had a plan in place, and when you draft a QB you need to make sure the offense is tailored around them, and not the other way around.

Simply put, we never put Jason Campbell in a position to succeed. I'm a big believer in the idea that a lot of players have talent, but it's not always achieved. If Jason Campbell had been drafted by the Patriots, or the Colts, or the Saints... he may have found a niche in the NFL and made a lot more of his potential.

I am not sure they didn't put JC in a position to succeed. In 2005, when he was drafted, we made the playoffs. In 2006, we had a decent OL (JC was only sacked 7 times in as many games). In 2007, the year he got injured and TC took over, we had a very solid team -- which was evident by winning 4 straight, without JC, to make the playoffs. In the beginning of 2008, the line was still solid and we were winning. Injuries hurt the OL and JC feel apart. Also, in the beginning of 2009 the line was giving JC adequate pass protection (the run blocking was horrible), but later in the season feel apart -- regardless of that fact, JC played poorly throughout 2009.

With the exception of the final games of '08 and '09, JC had decent protection --- I am not saying he could sit in the pocket for 7 seconds -- but he had enough time to make plays.

Now the scheme was a different story. That can be argued forever -- whether it was JC throwing 5 yard dunks or the scheme -- so I understand that is open to interpretation.

But, as far as the Colts, Pats, and Saints --- remember the Saints were 3-13 the year before Drew got to NO. He was the major reason that team went 10-6 the next year. And remember when Manning was drafted. He inherited a 3-13 team that he turned into a 13-3 team within 2 years. The colts only changed one OL player between 98 (when they were 3-13) and 99 (13-3). QBs have to make opportunities -- they shouldn't just sit and wait until everything is presented to them on a silver platter. The skins, during JC's tenure, were far better than the 97 and 98 colts and were better than the 05 Saints. The QB has a ton to do with those teams and to suggest otherwise is crazy. I am of the opinion that JC would have been worse off if placed in the positions that Brees or Manning were in.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 04, 2010 6:05 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Here is an interesting video of Charlie Casserly breaking down JC's game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTqk4Du4-wM

This was a breakdown of Jason Campbell running the Westcoast offense in Oct. '09.

Watching several media discussions since the trade, Jim Mora Jr. said it best "A great football player who's never been put in a position to succeed. Wrong system for a player who works best out of the shotgun, making plays with his feet and working the play action game. He also said that he's got a huge arm and suited for down the field play." Um, I'm a Campbell guy but he's got to work on the downfield stuff though :)

"A great football player..."
where did you say Mora was coaching this year?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010