last movie you've seen ??

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 am

patjam77 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Last Airbender has a less than 10% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Can't be a good sign.

It's a kids movie. I took my nice and nephew who are 11 and 14 respectively and they LOVED it. but for adults the script is bare bones and the characters un interesting save for a few.

Exactly, that's why I said what I said. And that's why I'm going to compare the nuances of the movie to the cartoon.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:26 am

patjam77 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Last Airbender has a less than 10% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Can't be a good sign.

It's a kids movie. I took my nice and nephew who are 11 and 14 respectively and they LOVED it. but for adults the script is bare bones and the characters un interesting save for a few.

Good kids movies typically get good ratings on RT . . .

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:52 am

brad7686 wrote:Yea, M. Night has really hit a wall. Haven't seen this, but Lady in the Water is the worst movie I have ever seen.

It's really amazing that he keeps getting projects. At what point does having his name attached to your film negatively affect how many viewers you are likely to get?

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
patjam77 wrote:

Marketing it as a kids' movie is a poor excuse for bad acting and awful dialogue. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings were both big-budget fantasy movies that got this right.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
patjam77 wrote:

Marketing it as a kids' movie is a poor excuse for bad acting and awful dialogue. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings were both big-budget fantasy movies that got this right.

Those weren't kids movies, btw, ESPECIALLY Lord of the Rings. Fantasy movies don't necessarily equate kids movies.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

Hog

Postby vwoodzpusha » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting Shutter Island. As much as I disliked his chick flick phase, DiCaprio is a great actor. If you're not familiar with his earlier works, you should check out This Boy's Life (with Di Nero) or Basketball Diaries.

I enjoyed that movie. Plot is a little predictable but good acting.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:36 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:

Those weren't kids movies, btw, ESPECIALLY Lord of the Rings. Fantasy movies don't necessarily equate kids movies.

Harry Potter is a kids movie. That was their target audience, demonstrated by (among other things) how hard they tried to get PG ratings for all of the films. But even if we throw that out, Hooligan's point still stands, and there are plenty of other quality kids movies that prove this point. Calling something a "kids movie" doesn't grant it immunity from being a bad film.

I'm also pretty sure that the thousands of professional movie reviewers cited by RT understood that they were watching a kids movie, and yet they near-universally blasted it to smithereens. Maybe they didn't get the memo that poorly written dialogue, awful acting, bad directing, etc., aren't actually criticisms of a kids movie. ;)

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:11 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
patjam77 wrote:

While I agree fantasy movie doesn't equal kids movie and I agree tLoR was deffinately not a kids movie, I have to disagree with Harry Potter. Harry Potter is definately a kids movie and it most definately sucked!

I haven't been able to watch any of the HP movies with out falling to sleep on them and I'm a SciFi / Fantasy fan! Why does Harry have to be such a wuss? None of the witches on that show have any real power.

Maybe that is because I re-reading the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" seriers, but Rand al'Thor would kick Harry's but w/o thinking. Heck he could wipe out all of Hogsworth with out even breaking a sweat.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

09 Champ

Postby TeeterSalad » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Hot Tub Time Machine...I'm laughing just thinking about it...Hiliarious!! A++

Not for kids!!
-2009 Hognostications Champion-
-Hognosti-Bowl V Champion-
-Hognosti-Bowl VI Champion-

RIP ST # 21

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:

Harry Potter is a kids movie. That was their target audience, demonstrated by (among other things) how hard they tried to get PG ratings for all of the films. But even if we throw that out, Hooligan's point still stands, and there are plenty of other quality kids movies that prove this point. Calling something a "kids movie" doesn't grant it immunity from being a bad film.

I'm also pretty sure that the thousands of professional movie reviewers cited by RT understood that they were watching a kids movie, and yet they near-universally blasted it to smithereens. Maybe they didn't get the memo that poorly written dialogue, awful acting, bad directing, etc., aren't actually criticisms of a kids movie. ;)

Harry Potter was a family movie IMO, but I don't feel like arguing shades of gray. I'll concede like most others do b/c this is a fun place, not a place that I should have to defend my opinion in exhausting detail.

And personally, I couldn't care less if you paid me about what Rotten Tomatoes or Siskel & Ebert say about movies. I go on my own opinion. If it looks interesting, then I'll go with it. If not, I'll wait to catch it flipping thru cable.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:14 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:And personally, I couldn't care less if you paid me about what Rotten Tomatoes or Siskel & Ebert say about movies. I go on my own opinion. If it looks interesting, then I'll go with it. If not, I'll wait to catch it flipping thru cable.

RT is simply a collection of what hundreds (or thousands) of professional reviewers say about a movie. I don't use it as a rule of thumb or blindly follow the ratings it assigns, but it's not a bad place to start if you're trying to figure out whether a movie is going to be worth watching or not. And as it happens I like Roger Ebert's blog too (when he's talking about movies, anyway).

However, that doesn't mean I don't have my own opinion about movies or think through them for myself. I don't think there's a strict dichotomy between looking to critics and making up one's own mind. ;)

^^^^^

Postby patjam77 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:38 am

Saw Inception Sunday and I have to say it was pretty awesome.
I'll have to watch it a second time though to catch all the mind-bending info!!
May #21 never be worn again by another Redskin but may every Redskin play like they are wearing #21 on their backs.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 am

I saw The Crazies... it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't rave about it. My 2yo loves it; he wants to watch it every nite b/c he loves his 'monsters'
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

^^^^^

Postby patjam77 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:27 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:I saw The Crazies... it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't rave about it. My 2yo loves it; he wants to watch it every nite b/c he loves his 'monsters'

I like The Crazies. Not a bad flick. Timothy Olyphant is DA MAN!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:14 am

patjam77 wrote:Saw Inception Sunday and I have to say it was pretty awesome.

I've heard a lot of good things about that movie. Probably going to see it within the next two weeks or so.

Return to The Lounge