Champ v. Lavar

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who would you rather the Skins sign to a long-term deal?

Champ Bailey
17%
Lavar Arrington
83%

Total votes : 18
Pursuer of Justice

Champ v. Lavar

Postby Justice Hog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:28 am

Okay, I'm just gonna put this out there for all of you.

The Redskins have to decide whether they wanna come up with the "bling bling" to sign Champ Bailey. Eventually, they're gonna have to decide the same thing with Lavar Arrington.

Champ has been one of the top CBs in the league in past years and, although he has been faltering somewhat recently, he's still one of the top players at this position.

Lavar has loads of talent and should be one of the top LBs in the league. Because he is undisciplined and misses his assignments A LOT, this causes a lot of problems for the Redskins defense, almost (I say, almost) off-setting his tremendous plays.

So....here's my question:

Who would you rather see the Redskins sign to a long-term contract in the future? Champ or Lavar (assuming they have to pick just one).

Hopefully, of course, they'll try to find a way to sign both....but...if they have to pick just one, who would you want it to be, and why?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:03 am

... didn't even have to think about it.

Lavar may need to check his game a little still, but Bailey needs to check his new me-first attitude.

I'm convinced that WRs are getting too good to blow wads of cash on your DB... spend it on pass rush :-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:57 am

a year ago, I might have pondered this one...but no doubt about it. Lavar is our fire and leader and everything we want in a Skin. Lavar will not take kindly to a loss against the pukes. I love his pride factor and heart.

Champ's attitude sucks.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:04 am

Love em both, but Lavar has the big play capability you crave in a player. Needs to get focused, like the rest of the "D" but my money is on him.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:21 am

I love to be able to keep em both, but don't see Champ negotiating for the sake of building a better team.
We'll miss you, Joe.

Hog

Postby curveball » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:32 am

In a hypothetical situation, I would sign a top 10 corner over the best linebacker in the league (this is not meant to rank Bailey/Arrington in those perspective positions)

Quality corners are so much harder to acquire. Look at this past off season. There were 4-5 decent LBs out there in FA, but only 1 even mediocre corner.

The Cowboys had to use a top 5 pick to get the best corner in the draft, while the Packers used a pick in the 20's to get a great LB.

You also have to look at how thin the 2004 draft class is at corner and relatively deep (Williams, Dansby, etc.) the LB class is.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:33 am

Texas Hog wrote:I love to be able to keep em both, but don't see Champ negotiating for the sake of building a better team.

Great point, and Lavar at least has us all fooled into believing that he would.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby BringBackGibbs » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:44 am

I think Champ's heart is questionable. He is always giving these lame comments about how people are supposed to react. How can you be cool after a humiliating defeat like those last 2 losses. The players showed no heart, or maybe they proved they are a bunch of average players. But LaVar was voicing his displeasure about the performance.

All these guys have become politically correct all of a sudden. This game is a game of passion. If you are on the field you have to bring your A game each and every time. This team has looked lacadaisical since the days of Norv. The trend has continued with Marty and now with Spurrier. They think their big names will bring results.

They need to re-evaluate themselves. They need motivation more than anything, and LaVar's lashing out may help. That's why I pick him over Champ.
Wishing for the old glory days to return!

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:52 pm

welcome Curveball....realize of course that there will be plenty of quality FA corners on the market next year as well (which will hurt Champ's bargaining postion and his marketing effort).
We'll miss you, Joe.

Hog

Postby redskincity » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:34 pm

I keep hearing this. Who as far as CBs will be avalible :?:
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

skinnns

Postby skinnns » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:20 am

I brought up this same question in the offseason with family and friends.

Sorry to dissapoint. Although I am a huge fan of LaVar, I must say that on a great day it is near impossible to catch a pass on Champ. On a bad day you may get a hundred and one or two td's. Look at our secondary right now and think of it without Champ. Against NE, playing with a fractured wrist and busted shoulder he came to front and won that game for us.

Granted LaVar has won a few for us as well(just not this year). The major difference I see is that Champ is by far one of the(if not the) best corners in the league. LaVar has yet to prove himself as a top run-stopper or pass rusher.

I just say(sorry for the long message), the skins will probably sign them both(due to samuels showing that he could be expendable). Which in the long term could hurt this team more than help it.

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:18 am

skinnns wrote: LaVar has yet to prove himself as a top run-stopper or pass rusher.

Are you kidding? Didn't he lead the lead in LB sacks last year?

Bosshog can give you the rundown on the FA corners available next season. I tried to find the post he made with no success. I know both NYG corners are great and going to be FAs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

skinns

Postby skinns » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:30 pm

I'm really deeply disturbed by this. I love both players very much. But I feel like I'm the only one on here that has seen LaVar try to make everyone accountable but himself. He hasn't been the explosive player(that he was in the past) this year. He also has been responsible for some crippling penalties. Champ on a great day locks a WR down. ON a bad day he gives up a hundred and a TD or two. But the reason he's opened his mouth is the same reason Jansen has. They are longest tenured Skin's. Champ is also trying to fill in for Darrell. I don't sense a me-first attitude in him at all. He's a beast, and the corner position isn't very deep. You build with a team, not with superstars. Having a corner at the top of the league like Champ is the right step.

By the way, they'll keep both because Samuels is showing himself to be dispensable. The real question is should we keep them both?

+++

Postby NikiH » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:05 pm

I am so confused about this point. I voted Arrington in the poll but am going back and forth now. I have met both personally and I can tell you the difference is in te last year Lavar has gotten this arrogance about him. I'm not saying he isn't a great player. I guess just thinking you are a great player could certainly effect your effort. Champ on the other hand seems down to earth. He is concerned a bit about this contract or they would have just said no the offer out there by the Redskin's and let this season be his last in the burgundy and gold. I really think he is underated by our fans because he doesn't step up to the mic quite the way Lavar does. On the other hand I love the intensity that Lavar has been known to show about the team. And his spirit is something we need. That being said, I am just glad I am not the one who has to make this decision. I hope to keep both but I guess we shall see!
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:19 pm

Niki

I agree with you on most points, but I have to say that I guess I am a bit jaded by players like Champ, who are offered more money than I may ever see in my life to play a game. Yes I know it is hard work - I played it myself. Yes I know you CAN suffer a lifelong injury, but percentage wise, it is very few and far between that you ever see that happen. Why not take 6 mil plus a YEAR and help keep the core of a team you profess to love stay intact. This is what I don't understand.

It isn't like they offered him 1.5 mil a year or something ridiculously low for his talent. I would have been flattered by the money they offered.

My personal opinion, shoot the damn agents - they are the gadflies in the mix.
Rich in Roanoke

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football