I think I know what QB Shanny is after.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
**ch44

I think I know what QB Shanny is after.

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:56 pm

IF he declares eligible. His name is Ryan Mallett. Few reason's I think this.

First, The offense that Mallett has played in has often times been compared to Shannahan's offense. Petrino runs a pro style offense in Arkansas, called by Coughlin, one of the greatest play callers he's ever been around. This means that Mallett is pro ready.
On Petrino...“He will formation defenses to death. (It) really knocks them off-balance,” ESPN.com college football writer Pat Forde told The Morning News. “... (He) reminds me a lot of (Denver Broncos coach) Mike Shanahan in his ability to be really aggressive and keep defenses off-balance without being real gimmicky."

Secondly, there is history in Shannahan persuing Petrino's QB's in Denver, when he went out and picked up a 53.6 rated passer in Jake Plummer and made him into a very good QB. He will be available when we pick.

Thirdly, the guy has SO much upside and will be a franchise QB with good QB coaching...DING DING DING Mike Shannahan come on down. He is still very raw and I think Shanny will find that attractive.

Here is an article about him.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5416 ... ing-report
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Here is another.
Miss you 21

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:30 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:Here is another.

ummm... :-s
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Chief, you pose a lot of details to support your case that he might be Shanny's guy. Also throw in the reasons why Shanahan likes Beck, you have an even stronger case.

I am not too fond of the guy myself, but then again, I am not a coach who thinks he can fix anyone he sees that has potential.

Here are some not so good things said about Mallet:

10/1/10: Mallett's team is winning and he's putting up good stats, but if you take a closer look his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open. We're not buying the hype anymore, and neither should you.

3/29/10: At 6-7 with a massive arm, Ryan Mallett looks like a franchise quarterback. His 2009 numbers (3,624 yards, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 9.0 YPA) will tell you that as well. He's a bit raw and needs to work on decision-making, but he could easily leapfrog Jake Locker on this list next year.

Like I said, I am not fond of him, but your argument for Shanny liking him is strong. BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick? Carolina will most likely take Luck. That leaves Buffalo, Bengals will look for a QB for the future, Cardinals, San Francisco, Seahawks might not be sold on Whitehurst, Vikings (we will beat the Giants and they will lose to the Lions so they will pick ahead of us). I am sure that one team that I listed picking ahead of us will take Mallet. I am thinking that we will have to go with one of the obscure guys like Dalton in the second round. Only the Seahawks have a 4-3 D who might be interested in trading for our 4-3 guys like Carter (Carolina is searching for a new coach so we don't know what kind of D they will have). We don't have much to offer for a trade to move up (please don't give up this years and next's). None of these teams run an Andy Reid type Offense except the Vikes and they probably will keep Frazier and he might keep their current OC - There goes McNabb, but we are only talking about a couple of spots with them. I just don't see Shanny being able to get him without mortgaging the future.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011QB.php
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Countertrey wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Here is another.

ummm... :-s

oops
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/Li ... llett.html
Miss you 21

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Chief, you pose a lot of details to support your case that he might be Shanny's guy. Also throw in the reasons why Shanahan likes Beck, you have an even stronger case.

I am not too fond of the guy myself, but then again, I am not a coach who thinks he can fix anyone he sees that has potential.

10/1/10: Mallett's team is winning and he's putting up good stats, but if you take a closer look his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open. We're not buying the hype anymore, and neither should you.

3/29/10: At 6-7 with a massive arm, Ryan Mallett looks like a franchise quarterback. His 2009 numbers (3,624 yards, 30 TDs, 7 INTs, 9.0 YPA) will tell you that as well. He's a bit raw and needs to work on decision-making, but he could easily leapfrog Jake Locker on this list next year.

Like I said, I am not fond of him, but your argument for Shanny liking him is strong. BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick? Carolina will most likely take Luck. That leaves Buffalo, Bengals will look for a QB for the future, Cardinals, San Francisco, Seahawks might not be sold on Whitehurst, Vikings (we will beat the Giants and they will lose to the Lions so they will pick ahead of us). I am sure that one team that I listed picking ahead of us will take Mallet. I am thinking that we will have to go with one of the obscure guys like Dalton in the second round. Only the Seahawks have a 4-3 D who might be interested in trading for our 4-3 guys like Carter (Carolina is searching for a new coach) so we don't know what kind of D they will have). We don't have much to offer for a trade to move up (please don't give up this years and next's). None of these teams run an Andy Reid type Offense except the Vikes and they probably will keep Frazier and he might keep their current OC - There goes McNabb, but we are only talking about a couple of spots with them. I just don't see Shanny being able to get him without mortgaging the future.

If we have a shot at Luck by trading away the future, OR a guy that Shannahan thinks will be THE man long term, I'm all for it. Listen, we're not going anywhere without a QB, so we need to start picking up one each and every year until one proves to be THE ONE. Giving away a third or a fourth to move up is a smart move IMO.
Miss you 21

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:49 pm

No QB is going anywhere until that line improves. I think we're close but I would invest a 1st round pick in a lineman before I invested in a QB. But I'm a build from the inside out kinda guy.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:34 am

Mallet is a good QB and a good fit for where Mickey wants to go. Drafting him gives us a year or two to work on the OL and his mechanics. Even though he bailed on the Maze and Blue, I'd be glad to have him. It's better then ever having been a Spartan...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:45 am

I think Shanahan likes Locker more than Mallett, but it is a given Locker won't be there at 14 when Seattle needs a QB. Personally I think it's a bad idea to draft a raw, game manager, project QB whose odds of being a franchise fixture aren't high when the team has so many other needs. I'm with FrankCal in that the offensive line needs to be addressed before we put any future franchise QB back there. I do not believe in spending 1st round picks on offensive guards, however, so unless they have a plan to address both needs at the same time I want someone who can run for his life if necessary. I don't see Mallett as being that QB. We can't afford to keep a 1st round pick on the bench for more than one season. It doesn't sound like Mallett will be ready that soon. Remember, Plummer was behind a very solid offensive line. Mallett wouldn't be as of right now.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:11 am

TCIYM wrote:I think Shanahan likes Locker more than Mallett, but it is a given Locker won't be there at 14 when Seattle needs a QB. Personally I think it's a bad idea to draft a raw, game manager, project QB whose odds of being a franchise fixture aren't high when the team has so many other needs. I'm with FrankCal in that the offensive line needs to be addressed before we put any future franchise QB back there. I do not believe in spending 1st round picks on offensive guards, however, so unless they have a plan to address both needs at the same time I want someone who can run for his life if necessary. I don't see Mallett as being that QB. We can't afford to keep a 1st round pick on the bench for more than one season. It doesn't sound like Mallett will be ready that soon. Remember, Plummer was behind a very solid offensive line. Mallett wouldn't be as of right now.

I totally agree with you that unless Shannahan really feels a guy is the guy we should draft for other needs and get a project later. Also, the odds of a guy being the guy were we draft is low.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:58 am

TCIYM wrote:I think Shanahan likes Locker more than Mallett, but it is a given Locker won't be there at 14 when Seattle needs a QB. Personally I think it's a bad idea to draft a raw, game manager, project QB whose odds of being a franchise fixture aren't high when the team has so many other needs. I'm with FrankCal in that the offensive line needs to be addressed before we put any future franchise QB back there. I do not believe in spending 1st round picks on offensive guards, however, so unless they have a plan to address both needs at the same time I want someone who can run for his life if necessary. I don't see Mallett as being that QB. We can't afford to keep a 1st round pick on the bench for more than one season. It doesn't sound like Mallett will be ready that soon. Remember, Plummer was behind a very solid offensive line. Mallett wouldn't be as of right now.

With Chief's reasoning and with Mike's love of Beck, it would seem that Mallet is his guy, but I am in agreement with you. I think that Locker is a Shanahan type of guy - a Plummer type - a guy who can move in the pocket, a game manager, a guy who can take a shot. I also agree that Locker will not be available: however, Chief also makes a point that if it is your guy (whoever that may be), you go after him and Shanahan has done that in the past - Jay Cutler. My belief is the O line will be addressed through free agency. Today, againt the Giants, will be a good evaluation as to how much our O line has improved.

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 am

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I think both could be accomplished. You're not going to pick up a G or a C in the first round. You pick up a blindside tackle the first year in the first (check), then pick up your franchise QB the next year. You aren't going ANYWHERE without a QB, and it's going to take at least a year for a QB to learn and fix mechanics. By the time he is ready to play, your line should be built. If you wait until the line is built, then you have to wait another 2 years and HOPE that you picked the right QB. No way any coach will last that long in the NFL.

See if you pick up a QB now, while you are building the line, you will have a second opportunity to pick up another if in case you chose wrong.
Miss you 21

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:13 am

frankcal20 wrote:No QB is going anywhere until that line improves. I think we're close but I would invest a 1st round pick in a lineman before I invested in a QB. But I'm a build from the inside out kinda guy.

True, but I expect Shanny will pick up his O linemen in free agency.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:15 am

chiefhog44 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Chief, you pose a lot of details to support your case that he might be Shanny's guy. Also throw in the reasons why Shanahan likes Beck, you have an even stronger case.

Like I said, I am not fond of him, but your argument for Shanny liking him is strong. BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick? Carolina will most likely take Luck. That leaves Buffalo, Bengals will look for a QB for the future, Cardinals, San Francisco, Seahawks might not be sold on Whitehurst, Vikings (we will beat the Giants and they will lose to the Lions so they will pick ahead of us). I am sure that one team that I listed picking ahead of us will take Mallet. I am thinking that we will have to go with one of the obscure guys like Dalton in the second round. Only the Seahawks have a 4-3 D who might be interested in trading for our 4-3 guys like Carter (Carolina is searching for a new coach) so we don't know what kind of D they will have). We don't have much to offer for a trade to move up (please don't give up this years and next's). None of these teams run an Andy Reid type Offense except the Vikes and they probably will keep Frazier and he might keep their current OC - There goes McNabb, but we are only talking about a couple of spots with them. I just don't see Shanny being able to get him without mortgaging the future.

If we have a shot at Luck by trading away the future, OR a guy that Shannahan thinks will be THE man long term, I'm all for it. Listen, we're not going anywhere without a QB, so we need to start picking up one each and every year until one proves to be THE ONE. Giving away a third or a fourth to move up is a smart move IMO.

If Mallett is Shanny's guy, you can bet he will go after him.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority here, but I think both could be accomplished. You're not going to pick up a G or a C in the first round. You pick up a blindside tackle the first year in the first (check), then pick up your franchise QB the next year. You aren't going ANYWHERE without a QB, and it's going to take at least a year for a QB to learn and fix mechanics. By the time he is ready to play, your line should be built. If you wait until the line is built, then you have to wait another 2 years and HOPE that you picked the right QB. No way any coach will last that long in the NFL.

See if you pick up a QB now, while you are building the line, you will have a second opportunity to pick up another if in case you chose wrong.
Just because you are in the minority doesn't mean you are wrong. Everything you are saying makes sense.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010