Caps Win Winter Classic

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
Skins History Buff
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Caps Win Winter Classic

Postby welch » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Yes, I like ice hockey, and yes, I like the Caps.

Caps win, 3 -1!

Incidentally, the HBO series 24/7 was downright fascinating. So many things go on that we don't see when watching. For one, Bruce Boudreau is an eloquent guy, and thoughtful.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:15 am

That's right Welch, in the rain, cold, and in enemy territory. Did you see how many Caps fans were there???? AWESOME!!!!!

I was going crazy after all the goals and I was really impressed how they just turned it on when down 1-0. They were so aggressive and they knew they couldn't be stopped. I hope they keep playing with that kind of attitude in the playoffs and not choke like the past.

Again, congrats Caps!!!!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

cappster
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Postby Cappster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:10 pm

I enjoyed watching the game. It's nice to see a hometown team perform well on a nationally televised event. I am really proud of the way they Caps played defense. They also left some points off the board with some missed opportunities. It was really nice to see (and hear) all of the caps fans in the stands.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Watching Crosby crawl off the ice like the wuss he is at the end of the 2nd period was worth the price of admission. Steckel said it was unintentional and that he didn't even see Crosby there as he turned, which could very well be the case as Steckel is six or seven inches taller but still it was nice to see Crosby knocked on his duff without a bogus penalty called.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:13 pm

TCIYM wrote:Watching Crosby crawl off the ice like the wuss he is at the end of the 2nd period was worth the price of admission. Steckel said it was unintentional and that he didn't even see Crosby there as he turned, which could very well be the case as Steckel is six or seven inches taller but still it was nice to see Crosby knocked on his duff without a bogus penalty called.


Right TC, crosby's a---> ;furious;
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 am

Dudes, what is up with us and power plays???? We can't score when we have more players on the ice and we get scored on when we're down a guy... :-s

Is it a scheme thing? Do we need to flare out our players more (our power plays)? What is the best way to defend against it when your down a player?

Starting to tick me the ;furious; off
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:27 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Dudes, what is up with us and power plays???? We can't score when we have more players on the ice and we get scored on when we're down a guy... :-s

Is it a scheme thing? Do we need to flare out our players more (our power plays)? What is the best way to defend against it when your down a player?

Starting to tick me the ;furious; off


Actually we have been really great at penalty kills recently. They have killed 29 of 30 opponent power plays in the last eight games. The power play thing is disturbing though. I'd think they would change strategy.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:37 am

TCIYM wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Dudes, what is up with us and power plays???? We can't score when we have more players on the ice and we get scored on when we're down a guy... :-s

Is it a scheme thing? Do we need to flare out our players more (our power plays)? What is the best way to defend against it when your down a player?

Starting to tick me the ;furious; off


Actually we have been really great at penalty kills recently. They have killed 29 of 30 opponent power plays in the last eight games. The power play thing is disturbing though. I'd think they would change strategy.


Oh that's really great! I guess I was still thinkin of what I saw last year?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Dudes, what is up with us and power plays???? We can't score when we have more players on the ice and we get scored on when we're down a guy... :-s

Is it a scheme thing? Do we need to flare out our players more (our power plays)? What is the best way to defend against it when your down a player?

Starting to tick me the ;furious; off


Actually we have been really great at penalty kills recently. They have killed 29 of 30 opponent power plays in the last eight games. The power play thing is disturbing though. I'd think they would change strategy.


Oh that's really great! I guess I was still thinkin of what I saw last year?


During that losing streak they were awful at both ends of the ice. The goaltending was also a lot worse than it had been, nearly a full point higher on the GAA and nearly ten percent lower on the save percentage.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 pm

So will Varly have the full time job or will the other guy get some play too? I can't remember his name properly, Norvak or something?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:So will Varly have the full time job or will the other guy get some play too? I can't remember his name properly, Norvak or something?


Boudreau refuses to name a "number one goaltender" and I can't say I blame him. Both Varlamov and Neuvirth have shown the ability to be number one, and both have shown the ability to be downright awful.

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:14 pm

I was really irritated when TB won last night. I hate St. Louis.. love watching him play when its not against my boys though, that dude is badazz
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:18 am

I was pretty excited that my Hoyas beat Seaton Hall last night and after the game I turned to watch the final period of our Caps game. Man I was pretty boosted when we made 2 goals in 40 seconds but once regulation ended I was nervous as hell. Yup, those bamas in philly beat us in OT.. I was ;furious; for like 10 minutes after the goal. Incredible.. it must be fatigue since we've been on the road for a good while but its the OT numbers that are just embarrasing. I can't quite remember our record after regulation but they put it up on tv last night and it was pretty sad.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:12 pm

The Caps are just middle of the pack this year. Its a big disappointment from last year. I went to the game last week against Vancouver (the best team in the league points wise right now) and they made us look like amateurs. It was pathetic. They were in our zone all night and when we got the puck into their zone it was brief and unorganized. They are the mirror image of what we were last year. The Sedin's made our D look sluggish. The only thing that saved us from being absolutely crushed was Varly in net. He was incredible! Thats the one positive thing I have seen this season. Varly is starting to show he is the future #1 goalie. Sadly this team is only "ok" this year compared to incredible last season. Bodreau needs to figure out how to fix it fast. I think his job may depend on a deep playoff run. There is no excuse to have a power play and offense that is average (and sometimes downright anemic) when you have 3 of the best offensive players in the world.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:18 pm

.. but don't you think the difference is the more "defensive" mindset as opposed to the last couple years of "the greatest show on ice" where we were scoring all the time? I don't know as much as you guys so please let me know. I don't think Bruce's job will be in jeopardy though, Ted seems to want to let it play out so he can evaluate if its the coaching or the players skill levels.. maybe?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Washington Sports Teams