I think I know what QB Shanny is after.

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 am

No way Mallett gets past Arizona in the Draft.

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 am

I have LESS THAN ZERO interest in seeing Ryan Mallet in Burgundy and Gold. Not that I think he'll be there at #10, since I believe Carolina, Arizona, San Francisco, and Buffalo will ALL be looking very hard at QB's and probably at least two or three of them make that their top priority in the draft.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 am

double posted
Last edited by DarthMonk on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:26 am

Red_One43 wrote:BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick?

Really I was thinking Luck Newton, Locker, then Ryan Mallet.

Would love to get Marcell Dareus but he'll probably be gone.

How about Cameron Jordan fromm California? Ideally we could trade our 1 for a later 1 and something else and get this guy (or someone like him, i.e., a starter at a position of need) if someone wants our 1.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:34 am

DarthMonk wrote:BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick?

Nope. There is probably not going to be any QB I would want available at the #10 spot, and we have both too many needs and not enough picks to even consider moving up at all.

DarthMonk wrote:Would love to get Marcell Dareus but he'll probably be gone.

How about Cameron Jordan fromm California? Ideally we could trade our 1 for a later 1 and something else and get this guy (or someone like him, i.e., a starter at a position of need) if someone wants our 1.

Dareus will be gone before we pick.

I'm not a big fan of Jordan. He seems like an average to above average guy. I've read he's kind of a clown in the locker room (something I despise), and he was suspended for a game in 2008 for DUI (another thing I have no use for). MAYBE I could see taking him in the bottom 5 picks of the first round, or in the second round, but I wouldn't want him any higher than that (if at all).

Unfortunately I don't know if there even IS a decent option for us at the #10 spot.....

There won't be a QB I like there. There are no 3-4 type NT's or DE's worthy of the pick. You don't even CONSIDER interior OL's that high. That takes most of our immediate, top-end needs off the board. Do we reach and fill a hole at LB, CB, or WR there? I kind of hope not. For the first time in history, I'm kind of hoping we TRADE DOWN. Hopefully multiple times, to get down into the bottom portion of the First Round (#25-32), pick up a couple more picks in the second/third rounds. At least that way I can ignore the draft entirely until the Monday after and have absolutely no expectations that anyone we select will turn out to be even a moderately decent player.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:BUT, since he is ranked at least the 3rd best QB, do you think that he will be around by the time we pick?

I did not write this. You quoted the wrong poster. I quoted someone else and said I thought there were 3 QBs rated ahead of Mallet.

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:Nope. There is probably not going to be any QB I would want available at the #10 spot, and we have both too many needs and not enough picks to even consider moving up at all.

... and I recommended trading down (if possible) not up.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:

I did not write this. You quoted the wrong poster. I quoted someone else and said I thought there were 3 QBs rated ahead of Mallet.

Lawsuit :D

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:28 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I did not write this. You quoted the wrong poster. I quoted someone else and said I thought there were 3 QBs rated ahead of Mallet.

Sorry about that. I think there are at least three rated ahead of Mallet and I don't want Mallet, regardless of whether he's there at #10 or not. Luck and Newton are the only two I would even consider, and they'll both be long gone by #10.

DarthMonk wrote:... and I recommended trading down (if possible) not up.

Agreed. I'm thinking WAY down, probably to somewhere in the #25-28 range, hopefully in multiple steps so we can get some more picks to use on linemen, linebackers, and maybe a FS or CB.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:29 pm

No hard feelings. Actually glad you're not "done" though it's been fun teasing you.

Trading down in multiple steps would be ideal if we could do it and then pick wisely.

DarthMonk

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I did not write this. You quoted the wrong poster. I quoted someone else and said I thought there were 3 QBs rated ahead of Mallet.

Sorry about that. I think there are at least three rated ahead of Mallet and I don't want Mallet, regardless of whether he's there at #10 or not. Luck and Newton are the only two I would even consider, and they'll both be long gone by #10.

DarthMonk wrote:... and I recommended trading down (if possible) not up.

Agreed. I'm thinking WAY down, probably to somewhere in the #25-28 range, hopefully in multiple steps so we can get some more picks to use on linemen, linebackers, and maybe a FS or CB.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am

DarthMonk wrote:Trading down in multiple steps would be ideal if we could do it and then pick wisely.

I'm at a point now, with the removal of Luck from the equation where I want out of the #10 pick simply because I don't think there will be anyone there that I want. I definitely don't want to go the BPA route at #10, and I do not believe there will be anyone who I believe is worth the pick available at a POSITION OF NEED for us.

Right now I'd probably consider taking $0.75 on the $1.00 to get out of that pick, unless something changes dramatically with the Combine or in Free Agency prior to the draft.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:08 pm

I have from a usually reliable source to keep an eye on Colin Kapernick as a possible late-round pick. I know little about him but fortunately he plays tonight so I'll get a chance to "evaluate" him.

CK

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:23 pm

TCIYM wrote:I have from a usually reliable source to keep an eye on Colin Kapernick as a possible late-round pick. I know little about him but fortunately he plays tonight so I'll get a chance to "evaluate" him.

CK

This the QB from Nevada that brought them back from a 24-3 deficit to Boise St. to win in overtime. The guy can run and throw.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/20 ... aft-boards

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 pm

More not so good news about Mallett.

Some have compared Mallett to Ryan Leaf, a similar big, strong-armed pocket quarterback with off-the-field concerns, who was the second pick of the 1998 NFL draft before flaming out as perhaps the biggest bust in league history.

“He’s one of those guys you’re going to have to check out pretty carefully,” Brandt says of Mallett.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... tes-091710

More:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-mallett/

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 pm

What off-field concerns does Mallett have other than a misdemeanor? We did sign Larry Johnson...
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:42 pm

Hooligan wrote:What off-field concerns does Mallett have other than a misdemeanor? We did sign Larry Johnson...

Couldn't find any specifics, so that should mean that there is nothing serious out there that is yet to be uncovered; however, with this quote from the article I posted:

“I’m not like I used to be,” he said with a sheepish grin. “I grew up a lot since my younger days.”

there is an implication that there is something out there. What do the articles I posted amount to? Probably nothing more than reporters setting themselves up to say, "I told you so," if Mallet flops because of attitude; however, buyer do beware.

Are you comparing the risk of signing Larry Johnson with a vet minimum contract to the risks of drafting and signing a #10 pick?

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010