Stanford Has Announced Andrew Luck Is Returning To School

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Stanford Has Announced Andrew Luck Is Returning To School

Postby TCIYM » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:33 pm

More To Come ...

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 pm

I suppose this means Carolina is S.O.L., literally.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:37 pm

What an idiot. I guess he didn't learn from the Matt Lienart fiasco.
Suck and Luck

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:18 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:What an idiot. I guess he didn't learn from the Matt Lienart fiasco.
Jack Locker and a variety of others as well. In fairness there is one difference. It's not clear if he left if there will be a draft or a season. It's not really fair to make players pick now when that is an unknown. I can see that he's feeling he knows if he stays at Stanford he will play next year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:25 pm

I dont see how this makes him an idiot.. because of Leinart and Locker? you could also look at Peyton Manning who came back for another year and was still the #1 Draft pick and I think hes turned out to be pretty good..

I dont blame him.. for one there is no guarantee of a season next year and he might not be interested in going to Carolina with no coach in place and no plan for the future until a coach is put in place..

I do know that this will shake up the draft quite a bit and could see our chances of a QB falling to us that we would consider drafting reduced quite a bit as well.. which IMO is for the best .. Im all for trading down and maximizing picks

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:48 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:I do know that this will shake up the draft quite a bit and could see our chances of a QB falling to us that we would consider drafting reduced quite a bit as well.. which IMO is for the best .. Im all for trading down and maximizing picks

Besides, now we can plan to lose all our games next year and get him! :lol:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:12 pm

This may turn out to be a really unwise thing financially. I'm confident that the next CBA is going to include a rookie wage scale. If draft time comes and there is still no CBA in place, this could be the last time a kid has the chance to cash in on the big money.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Deadskins wrote:This may turn out to be a really unwise thing financially. I'm confident that the next CBA is going to include a rookie wage scale. If draft time comes and there is still no CBA in place, this could be the last time a kid has the chance to cash in on the big money.

True, but he has no safe options right now. He could declare and then the draft and season could be canceled

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:05 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:This may turn out to be a really unwise thing financially. I'm confident that the next CBA is going to include a rookie wage scale. If draft time comes and there is still no CBA in place, this could be the last time a kid has the chance to cash in on the big money.

True, but he has no safe options right now. He could declare and then the draft and season could be canceled

I doubt the draft gets cancelled. A lockout wouldn't occur until August at the earliest, and the owners wouldn't want to tip their hand in April. Either way, it's a gamble on his part. He could complete his education in any event.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I doubt the draft gets cancelled. A lockout wouldn't occur until August at the earliest, and the owners wouldn't want to tip their hand in April. Either way, it's a gamble on his part. He could complete his education in any event.

I thought they were targeting lockout earlier. Anyway, if he comes out they have the draft and then gets locked out it's not that different. I suppose he has his signing bonus, but he'd still sit out a year. Not a good thing when you're 22.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:21 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I thought they were targeting lockout earlier. Anyway, if he comes out they have the draft and then gets locked out it's not that different. I suppose he has his signing bonus, but he'd still sit out a year. Not a good thing when you're 22.

True. But, all it takes is one bad hit in a game next season and his career could be over. Or Harbaugh takes an NFL job and the team tanks and Luck's numbers drop. There are so many variables at play. But the bottom line is that Luck basically just walked away from over $50 million guaranteed. Even if he plays better than he did this year, a rookie wage scale or salary cap is highly likely in the next CBA so it is highly likely that he wont be able to match or top the money that would have made this year. I know that he's a smart kid and even if football falls through could make a lot of money working a real job, but it is a HUGE gamble to leave this much money on the table.
Last edited by CanesSkins26 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

And, he could finish school, and get his degree, and still be picked in the first round next year, even if he doesn't play.

OTOH, if there IS a draft... and if there IS a CBA that goes into effect in the fall... he may stand to lose muti-millions, due to the strong possibility that there will be a very restrictive rookie cap in 2012. I've heard figures as high as $50 Million as the potential cost of NOT declaring for this year if that happens.

I would think that declaring would be a no-brainer.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Yeah... I could see how he'd just be sick to death over having nothing to show for a year other than a lousy multimillion dollar signing bonus...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 pm

even though its rare it is possible that hes not it in for the money and his degree seems to be very important to him which i applaud.. He will get his money regardless and while it might not be the ridiculous sum that rookies have been getting lately Im sure it will be more then enough and that barring injury and lack of ability at the NFL level he will eventually secure a very nice pay day

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 am

What a moron. I value education as much as anyone else, but this guy has no sense of long-term planning if he thinks it's not a good idea to enter the draft this year.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010