Stanford Has Announced Andrew Luck Is Returning To School

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:48 am

Countertrey wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:This may turn out to be a really unwise thing financially. I'm confident that the next CBA is going to include a rookie wage scale. If draft time comes and there is still no CBA in place, this could be the last time a kid has the chance to cash in on the big money.

True, but he has no safe options right now. He could declare and then the draft and season could be canceled

I doubt the draft gets cancelled. A lockout wouldn't occur until August at the earliest, and the owners wouldn't want to tip their hand in April. Either way, it's a gamble on his part. He could complete his education in any event.

I thought they were targeting lockout earlier. Anyway, if he comes out they have the draft and then gets locked out it's not that different. I suppose he has his signing bonus, but he'd still sit out a year. Not a good thing when you're 22.

Yeah... I could see how he'd just be sick to death over having nothing to show for a year other than a lousy multimillion dollar signing bonus...

I understand, but capitalist that I am it's not just about money. Usually things not about money are still measured by money. In this case though it's about risk as well. He's a kid, who presumably loves the game and needs to keep developing and he's not going to do that sitting on his hands.

Anyway, I take your points. I'm not arguing that he should go back to Stanford. My original view was in line with yours, he should not go back to Stanford. At this point I'm just saying I can see why he would. Restrictive salary cap, canceled season, there are so many questions and no totally safe path.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 am

My understanding is this....

There WILL be a 2011 NFL Entry Draft. That was part of the PRIOR Collective Bargaining Agreement. The question these players have to consider is what the Rookie Salary Cap/Pay Scale may do when the NEW CBA goes into effect (which it probably will for the 2011 Draft Class).

Luck is hedging his bets. If the CBA gets worked out quickly he can still change his mind. If not, he knows he'll be playing next year and hopefully maintaining his draft position. It's a bit of a chance, but not necessarily a dumb one.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:Luck is hedging his bets

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be. I thought to preserve his choice he had to declare but not do anything that would cause his eligibility to be forfeited, like hire an agent. By not declaring, isn't he now out of the draft?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:23 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be. I thought to preserve his choice he had to declare but not do anything that would cause his eligibility to be forfeited, like hire an agent. By not declaring, isn't he now out of the draft?

Honestly I'm not sure, but I thought there was a specific date they underclassmen had to declare themselves elligible by in order to get INTO the draft, and so long as they hadn't hired an agent or anything like that they could flip-flop a bit. I will fully acknowledge that I'm not an expert on this issue.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:even though its rare it is possible that hes not it in for the money and his degree seems to be very important to him which i applaud.. He will get his money regardless and while it might not be the ridiculous sum that rookies have been getting lately Im sure it will be more then enough and that barring injury and lack of ability at the NFL level he will eventually secure a very nice pay day

except that going into the draft DOES NOT mean that he needs to sacrifice his education... He'd just have to pay the rest of it out of pocket... which, would be chump change for him.

If there is a rookie salary cap next year, he most definitely will not recoup what he will not get by being drafted #1 overall this year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Countertrey wrote:If there is a rookie salary cap next year, he most definitely will not recoup what he will not get by being drafted #1 overall this year.

True, exceot that I have read that more than likely that rookie salary cap will apply to players taken in THIS YEAR'S DRAFT as well when the CBA gets done. The draftees in April may not even get offers from teams until the CBA is done. That could leave them very much in the lurch if it's November before an agreement is reached.

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Excuse my ignorance on this but I dont follow college football ..

Could Luck do the following:-

1. Declare that he is staying at school and so miss the draft

2. After the draft is complete could he then say he is leaving college and be available as an undrafted free agent

3. Sign for the 49ers and so be reunited with his college coach.

If this is possible , what would the salary implictions be? would they be able to pay him shed loads of dosh the same as if he went #1 in the draft?

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Manchester_Redskin wrote:Excuse my ignorance on this but I dont follow college football ..

Could Luck do the following:-......

NO, he cannot. What would happen in that case is that he would enter the NFL Supplemental Draft which is held (if necessary) sometime over the summer. It follows the same format as the regular draft, but only occurs if additional college players have made themselves eligible AFTER the date for the Entry Draft has passed.

Each round, each team is offered the opportunity to select the player (or one of the players, if more than one is available) at the cost of a draft pick ONE ROUND HIGHER in the next year's NFL Entry Draft. So if they use a third round Supplemental Pick to select a guy, they lose their second round pick the next season in the regular draft. This is how we acquired Jeremy Jarmon a couple years ago.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
Manchester_Redskin wrote:Excuse my ignorance on this but I dont follow college football ..

Could Luck do the following:-......

NO, he cannot. What would happen in that case is that he would enter the NFL Supplemental Draft which is held (if necessary) sometime over the summer. It follows the same format as the regular draft, but only occurs if additional college players have made themselves eligible AFTER the date for the Entry Draft has passed.

Each round, each team is offered the opportunity to select the player (or one of the players, if more than one is available) at the cost of a draft pick ONE ROUND HIGHER in the next year's NFL Entry Draft. So if they use a third round Supplemental Pick to select a guy, they lose their second round pick the next season in the regular draft. This is how we acquired Jeremy Jarmon a couple years ago.

Wrong, it's the same round in the next year's draft.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm

I think if I was an NFL team Andrew Luck's decision to stay in school would cause me to seriously question his decision making abilities. He has absolutely nothing to gain from staying in school. He could always go back for his degree but by not declaring for the draft at best he's costing himself MILLIONS of dollars next season. Even if he was the #1 pick next year he'd still most likely be subject to new rookie cap rules. At worst he jeopardizes his future. What if he's injured and can't play football anymore?

Just a stupid decision IMO. Nothing to gain and everything to lose.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I think if I was an NFL team Andrew Luck's decision to stay in school would cause me to seriously question his decision making abilities. He has absolutely nothing to gain from staying in school. He could always go back for his degree but by not declaring for the draft at best he's costing himself MILLIONS of dollars next season. Even if he was the #1 pick next year he'd still most likely be subject to new rookie cap rules. At worst he jeopardizes his future. What if he's injured and can't play football anymore?

He avoids playing for Carolina. That should probably be applauded rather than questioned.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 am

TCIYM wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:I think if I was an NFL team Andrew Luck's decision to stay in school would cause me to seriously question his decision making abilities. He has absolutely nothing to gain from staying in school. He could always go back for his degree but by not declaring for the draft at best he's costing himself MILLIONS of dollars next season. Even if he was the #1 pick next year he'd still most likely be subject to new rookie cap rules. At worst he jeopardizes his future. What if he's injured and can't play football anymore?

He avoids playing for Carolina. That should probably be applauded rather than questioned.

You realize the worst team next year will get the top pick?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:06 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
TCIYM wrote:

Yes, but Carolina gets the first pick this year, which is the year we are discussing. Carolina may get the #1 pick again next year, though.

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:44 am

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
TCIYM wrote:

Yes, but Carolina gets the first pick this year, which is the year we are discussing. Carolina may get the #1 pick again next year, though.

Isn't the point that Carolina is currently the worst team?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
TCIYM wrote:

Isn't the point that Carolina is currently the worst team?

Yes, so they get the first pick in this year's draft, which won't be Luck because he didn't declare. So, when TCIYM said he avoided playing for Carolina, he was correct. Why were you confused by that?

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010