Christian Ponder QB - FSU

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
^^^^^^^

Christian Ponder QB - FSU

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Let me start by saying I can't stand FSU. I hate their chant and the chomp with every bone in my body. It sends shivers up my spine but not in a good way.

With that being said, they have a pretty good QB coming out this year named Christian Ponder. Super smart guy, big, good arm, accurate, etc. I wanted to see what your thoughts were about him.

Of course I'm not thinking 1st round for him. He would be our 2nd round pick or late 1st if we were to trade down.

Let's discuss.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Who was the last Florida QB to have any success at the NFL level?

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

6'3", 230lbs, 20 TDs, 2044 Yards, 8 Ints (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCuu6UyO3B0

The footage is deceiving because they obviously don't show his mistakes but it looks like his receivers were open a lot on those plays but what I liked was the fact he can throw a great fade pass, he has great awareness when making plays with his feet and the dude can thread it in between defenders (as seen in this highlight film).

..but will Shanahan say he's athletic and has enough endurance? :?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

TCIYM wrote:Who was the last Florida QB to have any success at the NFL level?

Florida State, not Florida.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Deadskins wrote:

I meant ANY Florida school ... the answer is either Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper, depending upon the definition of "success."

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm

This is what bleacherreport.com says about him in regard to the Redksins.

I don't see Ponder as our second round pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5437 ... 11#page/10

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 pm

TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I meant ANY Florida school ... the answer is either Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper, depending upon the definition of "success."

Who cares who the last Florida QB was to have success in the NFL?

Who was the last Miami of Ohio QB to have success before Big Ben? How about the last Tennessee QB to have success before Peyton Manning? What about the last great Purdue QB before Brees?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Who was the last Miami of Ohio QB to have success before Big Ben? How about the last Tennessee QB to have success before Peyton Manning? What about the last great Purdue QB before Brees?

A lot more Florida QBs have been drafted and washed out than the schools you mentioned.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

TCIYM wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

A lot more Florida QBs have been drafted and washed out than the schools you mentioned.

I don't care if the next QB we get won the National Championship or if they went to a FCS school. Where they went to college simply doesn't matter.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I don't care if the next QB we get won the National Championship or if they went to a FCS school. Where they went to college simply doesn't matter.

I disagree. Where, what coach, what system, what the projections say all matter. There are always exceptions but not many QBs projected lower than the first round end up being long-term answers.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 am

Let's be honest. Not many QB's ever become stars period. What you have to do if find a player who has the brains, mechanics, arm strength and quick decision making skills that came come into the NFL and build on what he learned in college.

Also, it's not a bad thing for a kid to come in and sit a few years while learning under veteran players on how to train, study, etc. We're currently looking for every draft pick to come right in and play immediatly. Let the kids - and that's what they are - come in and learn the pro game. We can win with a serviceable guy.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Let's be honest. Not many QB's ever become stars period. What you have to do if find a player who has the brains, mechanics, arm strength and quick decision making skills that came come into the NFL and build on what he learned in college.

Also, it's not a bad thing for a kid to come in and sit a few years while learning under veteran players on how to train, study, etc. We're currently looking for every draft pick to come right in and play immediatly. Let the kids - and that's what they are - come in and learn the pro game. We can win with a serviceable guy.

If by "serviceable" you mean better than Eli Manning I might agree. We are discussing a QB prospect projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round because he lacks the arm strength to make throws outside the numbers. Running down the list of teams who usually make the playoffs each season, none of them have QBs who have trouble making throws outside the numbers. The ones that come closest to "serviceable" such as Eli and Ben have dominant defenses. We don't. Nor do we have a line that can protect a project enough to keep him from losing his confidence. Under different circumstances this might make sense but things being what they are it makes more sense to take a chance on Jake Locker, who has a stronger arm and more mobility.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:46 pm

My point was, and sorry for doing a poor job of explaining myself, was that if you have a player who you draft in the later round, have that player sit behind a serviceable, Veteran QB for a few years to learn the game, improve arm strength. Keep in mind though that Tom Brady was said to have a VERY weak arm.

I think that Ponder's biggest issues is not arm strength but the arm itself. He's had an injury to his elbow all year long (bursa sack I think).

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

frankcal20 wrote:My point was, and sorry for doing a poor job of explaining myself, was that if you have a player who you draft in the later round, have that player sit behind a serviceable, Veteran QB for a few years to learn the game, improve arm strength. Keep in mind though that Tom Brady was said to have a VERY weak arm.

I think that Ponder's biggest issues is not arm strength but the arm itself. He's had an injury to his elbow all year long (bursa sack I think).

I may have misunderstood where you were going. Ponder is supposedly a very mental player and "gets it", he has the mental processes not many QBs have. I think what Ponder has going for him can't be taught. Unfortunately what he lacks can't be taught either and he would need those few years of seasoning you mentioned. I'm not against Ponder so much as I am diametrically opposed to three years of Rex Grossman. :lol:

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 pm

I don't think that we're going to roll with Grossman but that's just my opinion. The fact that he turns the ball over so much put's the team in a position to have to fight every game as opposed to taking the lead and continuing to pound at them. His mental mistakes keep other teams in the game and that's not something you want at the QB position.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010