Christian Ponder QB - FSU

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:03 pm

TCIYM wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Who was the last Florida QB to have any success at the NFL level?

Florida State, not Florida.

I meant ANY Florida school ... the answer is either Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper, depending upon the definition of "success."

Who cares who the last Florida QB was to have success in the NFL?

Who was the last Miami of Ohio QB to have success before Big Ben? How about the last Tennessee QB to have success before Peyton Manning? What about the last great Purdue QB before Brees?

A lot more Florida QBs have been drafted and washed out than the schools you mentioned.

I don't care if the next QB we get won the National Championship or if they went to a FCS school. Where they went to college simply doesn't matter.

I disagree. Where, what coach, what system, what the projections say all matter. There are always exceptions but not many QBs projected lower than the first round end up being long-term answers.

I'll take an FCS QB if he is as good as Flacco.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 pm

...anyday ^

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 am

yupchagee wrote:I'll take an FCS QB if he is as good as Flacco.

Flacco was a 1st round pick, from Delaware, not a projected 2nd or 3rd round pick from schools with long and storied histories of failed NFL QBs. But obviously if you knew ahead of time that you were drafting the next Joe Flacco you have to take him.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:02 am

I'd rather draft the next Matt Ryan.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

Deadskins wrote:I'd rather draft the next Matt Ryan.

If were going for broke I'd rather draft the next Sonny Jurgensen, although I doubt there will be a next Sonny Jurgensen.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Who was the last Florida QB to have any success at the NFL level?

Florida State, not Florida.

I meant ANY Florida school ... the answer is either Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper, depending upon the definition of "success."

Who cares who the last Florida QB was to have success in the NFL?

Who was the last Miami of Ohio QB to have success before Big Ben? How about the last Tennessee QB to have success before Peyton Manning? What about the last great Purdue QB before Brees?

Yeah. I don't really care where they went to school. That really doesn't matter. There is really no "QB U" in college.

Things that I generally look at with incredible scrutiny are:

1) accuracy -- i don't care that a guy can hit an open receiver in stride 30 yards downfield. what I REALLY care about is his ability to hit a guy 15 yards downfield that was completely covered or when he puts the ball only where his receiver can get it -- and can do this on a consistent basis; not just every now and again.

2) OL -- while you shouldn't hold it against a QB if his OL is superior, it should be considered; a guy that has all day may have a slow trigger; these types of things can really cloud a lot of a QB's weaknesses when analyzing

3) leadership -- you want a QB that can stand on his own two feet. a guy that can win in desperate situtaitons and always shows up to play. also, a guy that the players tend to center around. A true leader is one that sacrafices for his guys.

4) awareness/intelligence -- you want a guy who is smart, easily understands playbooks, and can make quick decisions.

5) arm strength, height -- i consider this less important than most, but there is a certain NFL standard. the DBs and LBs in the NFL are infinetley faster than in college and you have to have the arm to make up for that. For height, you just have to be able to see over your lineman. Just simple logistics.

6) consistency -- a guy that brings it everyday

IMHO, those are the most important traits in an NFL QB. I don't care where you went to school.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Mark's right, there's really no QB "U" out there... (link is from 2008)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/13247-which-colleges-really-produce-the-best-nfl-qbs

Look, here's the bottom line.. I just hope we don't do stupid crap like we've done in the past. There are many QBs out there to get so I don't know why we should use the 1st pick to get one.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Nobody said there was a "QB U." What I said was that Florida school QBs have a long and storied history of failure in the NFL. When Rex Grossman and Daunte Culpepper are the last two Florida QBs to have played for any length of time with any measure of success it's rather difficult to argue. Could there be an exception? Of course. But to expect that exception to be a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder who has questionable arm strength is a stretch.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:33 pm

TCIYM wrote:Nobody said there was a "QB U." What I said was that Florida school QBs have a long and storied history of failure in the NFL. When Rex Grossman and Daunte Culpepper are the last two Florida QBs to have played for any length of time with any measure of success it's rather difficult to argue. Could there be an exception? Of course. But to expect that exception to be a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder who has questionable arm strength is a stretch.

I am no QB expert, but I expect to see Ponder in that long and storied history of failure in the NFL for Florida school QB's. I just don't see him as worth our second round pick.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:16 pm

I think Ponder will make a great NFL backup. He's smart and works hard, but he doesn't have a great arm and he isn't the most durable guy. He missed a good chunk of 2009 with a separated shoulder and in 2010 had problems with the elbow on his throwing arm.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am

Canes is pretty good at sizing up the Florida scene :lol:

If a player at any position can be considered to have been a "great back-up" player then he's most likely really helped the teams that he's been a part of - this is a team game and if you have played well enough to be considered a "great back-up player" when you leave the NFL, you've most likely been a really good player

SIGN HIM :wink:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Can we Ponder this for a second? Being a Christian I don't want to judge him to quickly!!! Now that I have that out of the way.

I want to draft this guy in the 2nd round, that would mean we won't draft Lockler or Newton in the first round -- two guys that I'm not convinced will make it in the NFL.

I'd like us to draft a quality offensive or defensive lineman or outside linebacker to play opposite Orakpo with our 1st pick.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Wesley Bunting

#SeniorBowl Notes...#FloridaState Christian Ponder looked very average, made some nice throws, average arm, #NFLDRAFT...mid round QB

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:38 pm

And he is not 6' 3" More like 6' 2" - Same height as Dalton who some critics said was too short

-- Florida State QB Christian Ponder is 6-2 1/8, 222 pounds. (Listed at 6-3, 227.)

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/24/11/Maio ... 903&feedID

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Wesley Bunting

If I were to take any QB at Senior Bowl...my guy would be #FloridaState QB Christian Ponder #nfldraft

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010