Cam Newton Highlights and what is your impression of him

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Cam Newton Highlights and what is your impression of him

Postby bluemoon22 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:46 am

Hey all, I'm a diehard Auburn and college football fan, but don't watch the NFL that much. I saw that Mel Kyper projected the Redskins to Draft Cam Newton, and I was wandering what y'all thought about that.

Personally, I think Cam has some more work to do before he is ready to play. In the link to his highlights from every game below, you can see his throwing improved dramatically from the beginning to the end of the season. I think he held onto the ball too long on many occasions and he throws off his back foot...actually, his footwork in general needs work. In my opinion, he has a lot of Raw talent, but could become great if developed correctly.

Anyways, just wandering what people that follow the NFL Draft closely thought about Cam. Enjoy his SWEET HIGHLIGHTS BELOW!!!

War Damn Eagle!

Cameron (Cam) Newton Heisman Trophy Highlights http://t.co/ZbonLyM

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for the post. I think that we've had all we can handle with "footwork" issues :) (See McNabb quotes this season).

My only issue with Cam is that given the current state of our team, we do not have the luxury of drafting a kid that isn't ready to start right now. QB is a position that if you draft in the top 10, they better have all the tools to play right now.

I'm not going to just be negative on the kid because he has shown to be quite electric but my only concern is that he's the second coming of Vince Young. Both of which are duel threat QB's but in the passing game struggle with accuracy and tend to lean on their legs too often.

The NFL plays at a very different speed then NCAA or even the SEC. My hope is that the Redskins can find a kid who's got a good head on their shoulders, good footwork, accurate but maybe falls in the draft maybe due to some old injury or GM's question their competition level. In a perfect world, I would like us to be able to find someone similar to Joe Flacco but I know that a lot of teams are looking for the same type of guy and they don't come along often.

So that's my opinion about Cam and just the overall process of drafting a QB.

GO WOLFPACK!!!
(NC STATE)

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:13 am

I admit that all I've seen of Newton are highlight videos, but from those videos, I have formed one opinion - what a great looking running back. I'd prefer to see more highlights of him throwing the ball if he's going to be seriously considered as a Redskins QB. I can't really see it happening myself.

If he fell to the 4th or 5th round, then he might be worth a pick as the possible second coming of Brian Mitchell or Antwan Randle El, but I don't see him becoming even as good as Randall Cunningham, for example.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:53 am

frankcal20 wrote:Thanks for the post. I think that we've had all we can handle with "footwork" issues :) (See McNabb quotes this season).

My only issue with Cam is that given the current state of our team, we do not have the luxury of drafting a kid that isn't ready to start right now. QB is a position that if you draft in the top 10, they better have all the tools to play right now.

I'm not going to just be negative on the kid because he has shown to be quite electric but my only concern is that he's the second coming of Vince Young. Both of which are duel threat QB's but in the passing game struggle with accuracy and tend to lean on their legs too often.

The NFL plays at a very different speed then NCAA or even the SEC. My hope is that the Redskins can find a kid who's got a good head on their shoulders, good footwork, accurate but maybe falls in the draft maybe due to some old injury or GM's question their competition level. In a perfect world, I would like us to be able to find someone similar to Joe Flacco but I know that a lot of teams are looking for the same type of guy and they don't come along often.

So that's my opinion about Cam and just the overall process of drafting a QB.

GO WOLFPACK!!!
(NC STATE)

All very good points. The only thing that I would add is that this point in his career Vince Young was further ahead of Newton as a passer, which is another indicator that Newton is a longterm project.
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Exactly. Newton's only played for one year. That's also a concern. Doesn't have a track record of success. And let's not even get into possible character issues he may have - regardless of the good 'ol corrupt NCAA's decision.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Exactly. Newton's only played for one year. That's also a concern. Doesn't have a track record of success. And let's not even get into possible character issues he may have - regardless of the good 'ol corrupt NCAA's decision.

But he had no way of knowing that his dad was asking schools of hundreds of thousands of dollars :^o
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Considering the absolute and total lack of an Offensive Line and/or other upper level NFL quality skill players on Offense, he would be a breath of fresh air.

A QB who can escape the rush, who can make plays with his feet, and who might just be able to survive behind what we call an O-Line these days.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Well, unless he can also make plays consistently with his arm in the NFL, then his ability to run is all that he has left. And it won't matter how well he can run, because all he'll be doing is running for his life, not for yards.

Look, Newton MAY turn out to be a superstar, but the odds aren't good enough in my opinion to warrant the Redskins spending a 1st round pick on him. We have far too many holes to fill to be taking unnecessary risks with that pick. My 2 cents
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:44 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:We have far too many holes to fill to be taking unnecessary risks with that pick. My 2 cents

Holes which are not going to be filled at the #10 spot in the first round, unless we make some gargantuan LEAP/STRETCH pick of a player who probably isn't in the Top 20 on anyone's overall draft board.

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:We have far too many holes to fill to be taking unnecessary risks with that pick. My 2 cents

Holes which are not going to be filled at the #10 spot in the first round, unless we make some gargantuan LEAP/STRETCH pick of a player who probably isn't in the Top 20 on anyone's overall draft board.

I'm sure a guy that is in Allen's/Shanahan's top 10 will be available. We need almost everything, there will be someone at 10 to fill a need.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:11 am

I'm on the fence. He's got all the tools he just needs to have the will to learn and to be great and it's gonna be hard to tell if that's there. Could be a bust, could be a fantastic player. Could be Jamarcus, could be Vick. We could get a good DE or OT or something. He's gonna have to prove a lot to go at ten i think.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 am

IF Mike & Bruce bring in a QB it will be a QB that has the potential to fit what they want at the QB position and that is NOT a QB like a Russell or a Vick - I think they are more interested in a more rounded, 'basic QB' than a Vick clone

I think Vick's a really good QB but he's NOT a QB that suits what Kyle (or Bruce & Mike) want to run the offense here
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 pm

I don't know, after that one game, they might take somebody like Vick :lol:

I honestly think he has more skills at this point than Tebow did coming out, especially throwing the ball, but Tebow has no character concerns and a storied work ethic, but I'm one of those people that thought that there is no way in hell Tebow was a first rounder. And Newton would have to show some serious accuracy at his pro day, and do at least adequate on his Wonderlic for me to think he's worthy at ten.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 pm

mmmmmmmdunno... I'm a bit skittish about...

Auburn Quarterbacks.... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Countertrey wrote:mmmmmmmdunno... I'm a bit skittish about...

Auburn Quarterbacks.... :wink:
Newton's more a Tebrow type of runner than a Vick, which means his running won't matter very much in the pro's; however, I think he's a much better passer than given credit for here. I think he has the potential to develop into a first class QB and think we should take a chance on him. I would grab him at 10 and be happy about it.
There's nobody out there who's both better and probably available.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010