Von Miller

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Von Miller

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 am

As a Texas Longhorn fan, I detest Texas A&M as much as I abhor the Cowboys, but I won't hold that against Von Miller of Texas A & M.

The the draft talk has mostly been about offense and particularly QB, but I say go after Von Miller. Von has what you can't teach - the talent insticts to be a great pass rusher. Haslett has already expressed his desire to have a double pass rushing threat coming from the OLB position. Earlier posts about Miller in other threads have said that he is good but not worth the #10, but after the Senior Bowl, his stock has risen greatly. Also, his stock is expected to rise even more after the combine.

Look for the QB in the scond round. Get the NT, OL and FS in free agency. Get the WR in the later rounds ala Marshall or undrafted Rod Smith.

When a guy with this much talent, instinct and intelligence (the guy lead the nation in sacks as a junior, he could have come out then, but he stayed in school to become a better pro player - this is just the type of dedication that Shanny wants AND you can't teach dedication ) comes out you got to get him.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... insinsider

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:48 am

I totally agree. This dude is a stud and will make the 3-4 SOOOOO much better. I think teams are going to pass in the first round on QB's this year. There a bunch of good but not great QB's in this draft, so there will be a few available in the beginning of the second. LB's are what make the 3-4 successful.

Miller looks good. Imagine...
Orakpo
Riley
Fletcher
Miller

Sick
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

You are dreaming if you think Von Miller will be there at #10. Most have him going in the top five.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:38 pm

With the #10 pick we really just need to take the best player available. I can't think of any position we wouldn't draft except a true left tackle who'd not going to play on the right side. You can get a good guy at that spot, but when you reach and end up with a mid to low first round quality it's just a waste when you should get a good player. It's not high enough to pick for position, but it's too high to throw away.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm

TCIYM wrote:You are dreaming if you think Von Miller will be there at #10. Most have him going in the top five.

This is just the first mocks I've looked at. Maybe you're right, but, I think there's a good chance he'll be there.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:With the #10 pick we really just need to take the best player available. I can't think of any position we wouldn't draft except a true left tackle who'd not going to play on the right side. You can get a good guy at that spot, but when you reach and end up with a mid to low first round quality it's just a waste when you should get a good player. It's not high enough to pick for position, but it's too high to throw away.

Agreed. You look at the players that should be drafted around the #10 spot and you're looking at dlinemen, lb's, wr's, cb's and qb's...all significant areas of need for us. Take the best player available unless it's a tight end.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:With the #10 pick we really just need to take the best player available. I can't think of any position we wouldn't draft except a true left tackle who'd not going to play on the right side. You can get a good guy at that spot, but when you reach and end up with a mid to low first round quality it's just a waste when you should get a good player. It's not high enough to pick for position, but it's too high to throw away.

Agreed. You look at the players that should be drafted around the #10 spot and you're looking at dlinemen, lb's, wr's, cb's and qb's...all significant areas of need for us. Take the best player available unless it's a tight end.

Agreed as well, but the questions is who does Shanny think is the best player available. My limited opinion thinks that Miller just might be the best player who might be available.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:31 pm

TCIYM wrote:You are dreaming if you think Von Miller will be there at #10. Most have him going in the top five.

That is a problem. The more people take note of his Senior Bowl performance and what will probably be a lights out perfromance at the combine, you are probably right that I am dreaming. Ah but it is a good dream as Chief said Miller, Riley, Fletcher and Orakpo - SICK!

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:35 am

I was dreaming when Orakpo was taken at 13 too

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

andyjens89 wrote:

:lol: That was an awesome day . . . at least until Vinny used the rest of his picks.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm

andyjens89 wrote:

The difference is that Orakpo was still projected to be available when we picked. For example, Kiper had the Skins picking Orakpo is his mocks leading up to the '09 draft. On the other hand, most people are projecting Miller to be gone by the time that we pick. There are several 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us and it's hard to imagine Miller dropping to #10, especially after his Senior Bowl performance.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:

The difference is that Orakpo was still projected to be available when we picked. For example, Kiper had the Skins picking Orakpo is his mocks leading up to the '09 draft. On the other hand, most people are projecting Miller to be gone by the time that we pick. There are several 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us and it's hard to imagine Miller dropping to #10, especially after his Senior Bowl performance.

Well, if that means Dallas won't get a crack at him, it ain't all bad - Miller and Ware as ends? I don't like that.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:

Very different recollections... early in the post season, the thinking was that Orakpo would be available at the Redskins pick... but he started climbing. After the combine, most were sure he would not make it past 8... or even higher... and we had resigned ourselves to one of the very good LT's coming out that year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Countertrey wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:

Very different recollections... early in the post season, the thinking was that Orakpo would be available at the Redskins pick... but he started climbing. After the combine, most were sure he would not make it past 8... or even higher... and we had resigned ourselves to one of the very good LT's coming out that year.

You could be right. I just remember not being surprised when he was there. Looking back at that draft, what is surprising is how lucky the Ravens were to get Oher at #23.
Suck and Luck

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:

You could be right. I just remember not being surprised when he was there. Looking back at that draft, what is surprising is how lucky the Ravens were to get Oher at #23.

You're not the only one who's confused Canes. I remember everyone saying, whoa, Orakpo is there? Now they're all saying that was the projection, but I don't remember it that way either.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010