SI Projects The Redskins Drafting Cam Newton

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Pursuer of Justice
Posts: 5798
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Newark, Delaware

Postby Justice Hog » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?

Who are you thing is a stud right tackle worthy of the #10 pick?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Postby TCIYM » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?

Who are you thing is a stud right tackle worthy of the #10 pick?


Nate Solder would be the top tackle in this draft and he is a left tackle, although he would be one hell of a right tackle. Unfortunately, the Redskins have too many needs to go that route.

B-rad
Posts: 3051
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?


They could take a Tackle. Like I said it is WAY too early to predict where Newton will go, he will have the most volatile stock in the class. On the Palmer thing, I seriously hope not.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:40 pm

TCIYM wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?

Who are you thing is a stud right tackle worthy of the #10 pick?


Nate Solder would be the top tackle in this draft and he is a left tackle, although he would be one hell of a right tackle. Unfortunately, the Redskins have too many needs to go that route.

Exactly where I thought someone would go. A top Left tackle would be good enough to do it, but most of them would have a very bad attitude about it. It's leaving millions on the table and it's losing lots of recognition because Left Tackle is both the glamor job and the money job unless someone's just a natural right tackle.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?

Who are you thing is a stud right tackle worthy of the #10 pick?


Nate Solder would be the top tackle in this draft and he is a left tackle, although he would be one hell of a right tackle. Unfortunately, the Redskins have too many needs to go that route.

Exactly where I thought someone would go. A top Left tackle would be good enough to do it, but most of them would have a very bad attitude about it. It's leaving millions on the table and it's losing lots of recognition because Left Tackle is both the glamor job and the money job unless someone's just a natural right tackle.


Excellent point. Plus we have Jamaal Brown. He is fine for another couple years.
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm

markshark84 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
markshark84 wrote:By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.....


Okay. Opinion noted. Now for the other half of the equation.... Who DO you want to see the Redskins acquire at the QB position in the offseason, or what do you think the team should do with the QB's currently on the roster?


Honestly, I am not sure I see any single NCAA QB that is worth the #10 (of those in the draft). There are so many guys that have some of the tools I believe would make them successful in the NFL and lack the other tools necessary. Like Moore, he just doesn't have NFL size. Or Mallet -- he has a ton of the tools, except for the one in his head. Newton is just not ready and is seriously lacking passing accuracy. I think that Luck and OU's Jones are good, but they are staying in school. Then again, I am not sure why there isn't more talk about Dalton out of TCU.

All in all, I just don't see a quality QB -- but, I am sure there are a couple in this draft that will turn out well -- there usually are. Personally, I would take an OT with our pick. We need to get our line squared away. With that said, if there is a QB worth taking at 10, I say to pull the trigger -- I am of the opinion that if you can get a franchise QB, then do it, but right now I don't see one.


I think that Gabbert is certainly worth a top 10 pick. I would tend to agree with you about the others that you mentioned.


I almost feel like he is the "hot" name right now. You really didn't hear much about him during the season. I tend to be skeptical about QBs that leave early, but a junior leaving is better than sophs. Personally, I think he is leaving because there aren't many quality QBs in the draft this year, which worries me. With that said, he appears to have all the tools in size; I am not sure what he is like mentally, but he does appear to play well against solid competition. All in all, he does seem to be a quality QB, but I just don't know that much about him.


I think that has a lot to do with the fact that most people didn't expect him to come out this year. He has all the makings of a franchise qb.
Suck and Luck

#14
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 pm

Justice Hog wrote:While I am really intrigued by Cam Newton, I'm not entirely sure he's worthy of a #10 pick. Don't be entirely surprised if the Skins draft another stud tackle this year.....and perhaps fill their QB need in fee agency......a la, perhaps, Carson Palmer?



I don't think he is a FA.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

**ch44
Posts: 2381
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:00 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:10 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.


Orton signed an extension this past August that has him under contract through 2011. We would have to trade for him. Denver runs a 3-4 D. We don't have any draft choices to trade or people to make it worth a trade for the Broncos. Personally, if he were a free agent, I think Orton would do until Shanny finds his second coming of Elway.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16141
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 am

chiefhog44 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.

Actually, Grossman took them to the SB, not Orton, so we don't really need another ex-Chicago QB.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 am

Deadskins wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.

Actually, Grossman took them to the SB, not Orton, so we don't really need another ex-Chicago QB.


Orton:
Chicago
05- 1,869 YDS/ 9 TDS/ 13 INTS
06- OUT FOR YEAR INJURY (YEAR REX WENT TO SB VS COLTS)
07- 478 YDS/ 3 TDS/ 2 INTS
08- 2,972 YDS/ 18 TDS/ 12 INTS
Denver
09- 3,802 YDS/ 21 TDS/ 12 INTS
10- 3,653 YDS/ 20 TDS/ 9 INTS

Not sure why the hate for Orton, he's been getting better since Chicago. Like I said though, just trying to show a way not to use the 1st pick on a QB this year.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16141
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.

Actually, Grossman took them to the SB, not Orton, so we don't really need another ex-Chicago QB.


Orton:
Chicago
05- 1,869 YDS/ 9 TDS/ 13 INTS
06- OUT FOR YEAR INJURY (YEAR REX WENT TO SB VS COLTS)
07- 478 YDS/ 3 TDS/ 2 INTS
08- 2,972 YDS/ 18 TDS/ 12 INTS
Denver
09- 3,802 YDS/ 21 TDS/ 12 INTS
10- 3,653 YDS/ 20 TDS/ 9 INTS

Not sure why the hate for Orton, he's been getting better since Chicago. Like I said though, just trying to show a way not to use the 1st pick on a QB this year.

No hate, I just don't think he's that great a QB. Of course, I haven't really followed his career since he went to Denver. Those are pretty impressive stats, but Denver didn't make the playoffs either year, did they? And that is in a weak AFC West.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Deadskins wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Guys, what if.. WHAT IF.. we signed Orton from Denver with Rex backing him up? That way no need to even draft a qb (unless you do it for the future) but at the same time we could use that pick for other needs.. your thoughts?


Ummm... how'd that work in Chitown?


Actually pretty well. He's a winner. He won games there...it wasn't pretty but he won. The guy is smart, has a good arm and is now proven.

Actually, Grossman took them to the SB, not Orton, so we don't really need another ex-Chicago QB.


Orton:
Chicago
05- 1,869 YDS/ 9 TDS/ 13 INTS
06- OUT FOR YEAR INJURY (YEAR REX WENT TO SB VS COLTS)
07- 478 YDS/ 3 TDS/ 2 INTS
08- 2,972 YDS/ 18 TDS/ 12 INTS
Denver
09- 3,802 YDS/ 21 TDS/ 12 INTS
10- 3,653 YDS/ 20 TDS/ 9 INTS

Not sure why the hate for Orton, he's been getting better since Chicago. Like I said though, just trying to show a way not to use the 1st pick on a QB this year.

No hate, I just don't think he's that great a QB. Of course, I haven't really followed his career since he went to Denver. Those are pretty impressive stats, but Denver didn't make the playoffs either year, did they? And that is in a weak AFC West.


Orton also had some pretty decent receivers in Denver -- not so much in CHI. I do believe that Orton is an upgrade from Grossman, but personally, I don't think it would make that much of a difference. If we were to get a QB via FA, one of the MAJOR requirements would be that he is a driven leader. We need a vocal presence in the huddle and someone that can change the attitude of this team. Right now, this team has a losers mentality. I just don't see Orton as that guy. The closest person I see to doing this is Palmer (even though he has typically lost -- but personally, I think his W-L record is directly related to the ownership; CIN has the second worst ownership in the NFL, behind us, of course).

We need a QB that will make sure players are held accountable for their play and someone they will get behind and support. We need a vocal leader at QB. We haven't had one in quite some time. I would like to see use our first rounder on the OL or DL (but I wouldn't be surprised due to our history to see us waste it on a WR, RB, or DB) and not on a QB -- but, if the franchise guy is there, then we may just need to take him. All in all, the only 2 QBs I would draft would probably be Gabbert or Dalton, but Dalton is probably a 3rd round guy.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Right now, I'm not convinced that ANY of the quarterbacks in this year's draft would be worthy of the #10 pick, even if they were all available when the Redskins get on the clock.

I'll say this though: the more I read about them all, the further Jake Locker falls down my own rankings, whilst Newton has probably moved up a little (but not much, yet). Question marks surround them all in one way or another.

Pick a QB that high in the draft, and you'd better be sold 100% on the guy. If it goes wrong, then you've hitched your whole NFL trailer to one rusty old truck.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010