Von Miller

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:34 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:You are dreaming if you think Von Miller will be there at #10. Most have him going in the top five.

I was dreaming when Orakpo was taken at 13 too

The difference is that Orakpo was still projected to be available when we picked. For example, Kiper had the Skins picking Orakpo is his mocks leading up to the '09 draft. On the other hand, most people are projecting Miller to be gone by the time that we pick. There are several 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us and it's hard to imagine Miller dropping to #10, especially after his Senior Bowl performance.

Very different recollections... early in the post season, the thinking was that Orakpo would be available at the Redskins pick... but he started climbing. After the combine, most were sure he would not make it past 8... or even higher... and we had resigned ourselves to one of the very good LT's coming out that year.

You could be right. I just remember not being surprised when he was there. Looking back at that draft, what is surprising is how lucky the Ravens were to get Oher at #23.

You're not the only one who's confused Canes. I remember everyone saying, whoa, Orakpo is there? Now they're all saying that was the projection, but I don't remember it that way either.

By Bill Frisbie, Lead Writer
InsideTexas.com

Most projected Orakpo as a Top 10 pick, if not the No. 5 selection. Instead, Orakpo was the third DE chosen in a Draft that is loaded at that position.

http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=1070

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:You are dreaming if you think Von Miller will be there at #10. Most have him going in the top five.

I was dreaming when Orakpo was taken at 13 too

The difference is that Orakpo was still projected to be available when we picked. For example, Kiper had the Skins picking Orakpo is his mocks leading up to the '09 draft. On the other hand, most people are projecting Miller to be gone by the time that we pick. There are several 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us and it's hard to imagine Miller dropping to #10, especially after his Senior Bowl performance.

Very different recollections... early in the post season, the thinking was that Orakpo would be available at the Redskins pick... but he started climbing. After the combine, most were sure he would not make it past 8... or even higher... and we had resigned ourselves to one of the very good LT's coming out that year.

You could be right. I just remember not being surprised when he was there. Looking back at that draft, what is surprising is how lucky the Ravens were to get Oher at #23.

You're not the only one who's confused Canes. I remember everyone saying, whoa, Orakpo is there? Now they're all saying that was the projection, but I don't remember it that way either.

By Bill Frisbie, Lead Writer
InsideTexas.com

Most projected Orakpo as a Top 10 pick, if not the No. 5 selection. Instead, Orakpo was the third DE chosen in a Draft that is loaded at that position.

http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=1070

by Kevin Ewoldt
Mel Kiper Jr. updated his mock draft board yesterday and has the Redskins selecting Brian Orakpo, the defensive end from Texas.
http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/1/22/731757/mel-kiper-updates-his-draf

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Even a broken clock is right twice a day... that applies to broken draft wonks as well...

I remember starting to wonder why Orakpo was still on the board at 8... and got more excited with each pick, because, there was no way Orakpo was going to be there at our pick... I screamed out loud when the Redskins went on the clock, and he was still on the board.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 pm

I'm not sure he's big enough to transition to a 3-4 backer, he's traditional 4-3 size. Not to say he can't do it, but he is a little small.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 pm

brad7686 wrote:I'm not sure he's big enough to transition to a 3-4 backer, he's traditional 4-3 size. Not to say he can't do it, but he is a little small.

:?
Miller recorded 178 tackles and 33 sacks with the Aggies, including a 17-sack junior campaign. He is a smallish rush end/OLB who played in a 3-4 at Texas A&M. He's keeps a low center of gravity and is very explosive.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:19 am

TCIYM wrote:
brad7686 wrote:I'm not sure he's big enough to transition to a 3-4 backer, he's traditional 4-3 size. Not to say he can't do it, but he is a little small.

Miller recorded 178 tackles and 33 sacks with the Aggies, including a 17-sack junior campaign. He is a smallish rush end/OLB who played in a 3-4 at Texas A&M. He's keeps a low center of gravity and is very explosive.

Ha well if he played in a 3-4 in college that helps. I was just looking at his weight and its like 25 lbs. less than Orakpo. And Orakpo is more strong than heavy. Just because you're big enough to play a position in college doesn't mean it will carry over to the NFL.

Almost all 3-4 OLB's in the NFL are at least 260, I believe Miller is listed at 238. James Harrison is listed at 242, but I beleive that is incorrect.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

If he's there, I would not be mad at that selection. Nobody knows what will happen. The Mocks are off every year. Folks thought Colt McCoy would be drafted before Tebow last year.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 pm

brad7686 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:

Ha well if he played in a 3-4 in college that helps. I was just looking at his weight and its like 25 lbs. less than Orakpo. And Orakpo is more strong than heavy. Just because you're big enough to play a position in college doesn't mean it will carry over to the NFL.

Almost all 3-4 OLB's in the NFL are at least 260, I believe Miller is listed at 238. James Harrison is listed at 242, but I beleive that is incorrect.

Check out Lawrence Taylor's height and weight 6'3 241
http://www.databasefootball.com/players ... taylolaw01

Every mock drsft has this Miller climbing higher and higher. I have given up hope that he will be around at 10.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am

"I always saw myself with a blue star on the side of my helmet,” Miller said. “Growing up in Dallas, all my life I've never ever lived anywhere else. So of course I'm a big Cowboys fan. Our game room at my house is fully dedicated to the Cowboys. From Roger Staubach to Troy Aikman to Emmitt Smith to Michael Irvin, all those guys. We've got a Ring of Honor just in our game room at home."

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Link

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am

andyjens89 wrote:
"I always saw myself with a blue star on the side of my helmet,” Miller said. “Growing up in Dallas, all my life I've never ever lived anywhere else. So of course I'm a big Cowboys fan. Our game room at my house is fully dedicated to the Cowboys. From Roger Staubach to Troy Aikman to Emmitt Smith to Michael Irvin, all those guys. We've got a Ring of Honor just in our game room at home."

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Link

I'm sure he could be converted to being a Redskins fan. After all, no Cowboys fan has an ounce of dignity left in them, so none of them have any trouble becoming fans of any other team.

That's a quite pukeworthy quote though.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 am

Red_One43 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:

Check out Lawrence Taylor's height and weight 6'3 241
http://www.databasefootball.com/players ... taylolaw01

Every mock drsft has this Miller climbing higher and higher. I have given up hope that he will be around at 10.

Taylor played in a different era...
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010