SI Projects The Redskins Drafting Cam Newton

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:30 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Right now, I'm not convinced that ANY of the quarterbacks in this year's draft would be worthy of the #10 pick, even if they were all available when the Redskins get on the clock.

I'll say this though: the more I read about them all, the further Jake Locker falls down my own rankings, whilst Newton has probably moved up a little (but not much, yet). Question marks surround them all in one way or another.

Pick a QB that high in the draft, and you'd better be sold 100% on the guy. If it goes wrong, then you've hitched your whole NFL trailer to one rusty old truck.

I'm with you UK. We have so many needs and none of the QB's look like a certainty to even be a starter much less good. Several look possible. But we have so many needs and we should get a good player with the #10 pick if we pick wisely. I hate to use it on a crap shoot QB.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 pm

I'll agree with you both as well - the fact is we have many needs and we need to start getting players in here that can both help and have a lot of desire to be very good players - we also really need to re-assemble both the lines

we will be OK for a year or 2 and somewhere down the road we're going to find a great QB - let's not use this #10 pick in the hopes that one of these guys can be THE guy - they all don't look like they can be really good - it's way to important a pick and the QBs available don't look that great
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:32 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Right now, I'm not convinced that ANY of the quarterbacks in this year's draft would be worthy of the #10 pick, even if they were all available when the Redskins get on the clock.

I'll say this though: the more I read about them all, the further Jake Locker falls down my own rankings, whilst Newton has probably moved up a little (but not much, yet). Question marks surround them all in one way or another.

Pick a QB that high in the draft, and you'd better be sold 100% on the guy. If it goes wrong, then you've hitched your whole NFL trailer to one rusty old truck.

Both Locker and Newton are wasted draft picks. Unless Locker possesses certain qualities that I haven't seen, he is not an NFL QB. Newton also does not possess the needed qualities (especially accuracy) to be an NFL QB in the traditional sense. If there was a way to alter the way the QB position was played, then sure, but there is no way he will be successful playing the QB position the way that Brady, Manning, Brees, Rothlesburger, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan or the others have.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 pm

markshark84 wrote:Both Locker and Newton are wasted draft picks. Unless Locker possesses certain qualities that I haven't seen, he is not an NFL QB. Newton also does not possess the needed qualities (especially accuracy) to be an NFL QB in the traditional sense. If there was a way to alter the way the QB position was played, then sure, but there is no way he will be successful playing the QB position the way that Brady, Manning, Brees, Rothlesburger, Rodgers, Rivers, Ryan or the others have.

If I had to pick between them I'd pick Newton. But I'm with you my vote at #10 is none of the above
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:03 pm

I'd take Gabbert if he's available.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:25 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:I'd take Gabbert if he's available.

Yeah, I have come to believe that he is the best QB available (although I really haven't seem him play much) -- but I am not sure he will be there. There are a couple teams that need a QB ahead of us in this years draft. We'll see though.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby Sir_Monk » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 am

markshark84 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:I'd take Gabbert if he's available.

Yeah, I have come to believe that he is the best QB available (although I really haven't seem him play much) -- but I am not sure he will be there. There are a couple teams that need a QB ahead of us in this years draft. We'll see though.

I'm a Mizzou fan, and drafting Gabbert would be a huge mistake.He is a bad decision maker that forces way too many throws. He also battled ankle injuries during both years as a starter that hampered his game even more. Once he gets knocked down a few times by defenders, his bad decision making goes from bad to worse and you get forced throws into traffic mixed with passes ether too short or high for receivers to hold onto. He has a huge arm and very good mechanics, but throws a terrible deep ball.

Imagine Jason Campbell with a quicker release but far less accurate.
Bruce has the authority. When Bruce makes the decision, it's a Redskins decision.

Fire Bruce Boudreau

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:03 pm

Sir_Monk wrote:Imagine Jason Campbell with a quicker release but far less accurate.

:shock:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010